Forums > Social Chat > has this happened to anyone else?

Login/Join to Participate

Blu'Firemember
17 posts

Posted:
A few weeks ago I was trying to tell a girl that I fire twirl and she took awhile trying to understand what I meant. So I broke it down, and explained to her what I do and then she said "oh so you fire twirl" and I thought 'what??? isn't that what I said' and well, it was, but she mis-heard.she then told me what she thought I said. Afterwards I thought about it some more, and realised that it did sound very much like what she thought I said.I began to see that because twirl is said with a hard 't' it can change what you mean to say. For, when you say that you fire twirl it can sound very much like your are saying that you fart well. fire t = fartwirl = welland I guess you see my point.in my case it is true, I do fart well, but it isn't what I mean. It does explains many of the strange looks I've received and the many people asking me "you do what?"

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
I can relate to that; as Im sure most of us can. The easiest way out when you get the predictable "You're doing what..??" is just to say look it up on the internet.. and then have them come back to you saying all they could find was sites on people of importance or some wierd Hawaiian fruit..!!Hmmm.. easier just to say something like.. "Siddown,shuddup and watch this" if you're describing it without them having seen it first.ps: nothing quite like a good 'PAAARP'.. or if your polite its more of a 'phhutt'. smile------------------Kato

Kato

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I once told a friend that I'd just managed to get some paraffin so I could get round to some decent spinning. He then proceeded to lecture me on the dangers of solvent abuse. Took me a while to work out he thought I'd said 'sniffing'...........

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Let's us not even get into the connotations of when I off handedly tell people I eat, blow and swing. There are times when I am just ditsy enough and I think the world knows what I am talking about! Lies I tell you...all lies! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
Wait a minute, you mean this ISN'T a BDSM site?Geese, and all this time with talks of fire and swinging... [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/wink.gif">------------------[/image]Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I prefer the term, Fire-Dancing, to fire twirling, just coz I think sounds less feminine and more nuetral.But i must admit, some people think it mean si walk on hot coals or something similar, and they actually think I'm crazier than I am (that doesn't happent oo often!!!!!!!!). grin grin grin grin------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
I get a lot of "Your girlfriend does what?"I try to say fire dancing (wow, I'm just like Charles grin), fire eating, fire breathing. Most people understand the eating and breathing one. Dancing is a new one and they ask about that one. Chains ending in fire is where I start, but I try not to explain more if they're too confused. I go back to breathing. I stick "It's really cool" in there as well.------------------"Those who can, do. Those who can't, critique"Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

Neekomember
68 posts

Posted:
One time a girl selling me glowsticks wanted to know if I went to raves. I said no, and that I just swing poi. She laughed and said that sounded kinky.

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
i ususally have to explain yeah is wing fire on chains..either that or i make up some eleborate i like to set things on fire thing blah blah...

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
I get a lot of people ask me what fire breathing is like after I've been twirling. I don't get how someone can confuse twirling for breathing. Frustration makes me subtly humiliate these people. "What does it taste like?" asked after a series of butterflies, weaves and fountains. Never tried eating them dork, I think to myself as I say "Actually, what I was doing is called "Fire Twirling"!" They seem to assume the two are invisibly connected. Does anyone else attract these people?

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Audax, I think you'll find that Fire-Eating is the most commonly known fire art in mainstream western countries.People will always be more likely assume you "EAT FIRE" when they see you fire-dancing.And they don't even mean "EAT FIRE" usually, they mean "FIRE-BREATHING" which is totally different.I just expect people to get the two mixed up and explain about the dangers of eating and breathing, after which they tend to know the difference.I've been called a fire-eater by friends who know I don't eat fire...but the term to them simply means anything to do with fire performing, they aren't conscious of the actual words they are using.Personally, i think it's kinda cute... grin grin grin grin------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
The oly trouble i ever had was when i said "i do fire poi""You fired who's boy""No Fire poi""Who's Poi""No, no i swing balls of fire on the ends of chains""Yeah i know but who's Poi"Actually after the second line, that never happened to me.I just got carried away.CheersAPB

Good on usGood on us all