Forums > Social Chat > Poison Control- Singing Praises

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Just got done reading the Sunday paper. As many (maybe the newbies haven't seen it yet) I am a huge proponent of safety and healthfulness. I have many times strongly advocated for Charcoal Caps, aka: activated charcoal to be used by fire breathers regulary and to be kept in the med kit for all fire performers. In the paper I just read that an 18 month Kentucky study has been published recommending that all households (especially those with kids...and I am adding fire performers to this!) to keep these powder filled gel-caps on hand.This says that "The poison control center staff recommended using these caps to 138 cases of accidental poisonings. Home treatment was successful in 115 case. The other 23 didn't have activated charcoal or preferred other treatments. "Activated charcaol works best if given within one hour after the poison is swallowed. The fine powder acts like a sponge to soak up toxins and keep them from being absorbed into the blood stream. It can be taken in caplets form or purchased in powder and mixed into water, juice (non citric), milk, yogurt or soft drinks for esy swallowing. Activated charcoal does not trigger vomiting"Since the initial study, over 229 more cases have been tracked and all were successfully treated at home with activated charcoal."Primarily this study was done on children, who tend to suffer from poisoning more frequently than adults and it worked on thier little system without side effect.I really wanted to share this with everyone since I really do feel it is pertinent to our health (especially those of us who eat or breathe fire).I also must say, when I know I am to be doing a high amount of breathing I take the cap about 15 minutes BEFORE I start, as a precautionary measure. I am fully convinced that it saved my butt from some serious illness last night since I'm pretty sure I swallowed about 1/2 teaspoon of fuel during my shows yesterday, but didn't get sick at all!Anyway, happy health to all!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Well done, Pele.I've read through a bunch of fire breathing threads, and I never heard this mentioned. This is probobly one of the best ideas I've ever heard on this board.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

nexus_sunmember
47 posts

Posted:
does this stuff also take it out of your lungs or are you still in serious trouble if you inhale it?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Nexus....no getting around trouble if you inhale it, that is just bad...and since charcoal is in your stomach, it won't help your lungs much.Sickpuppy, I mentioned it breifly in a few of the much older fire breathing threads...but I really wanted to put the research findings.Hope this helps!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK