Forums > Social Chat > Why do we give ourselves names?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
Right this is just a variation on cutie poi girlies whats your real name thread, but why do we give ourselves and use other names? I use spiral, because I think a name should mean something to you or about you. I prefer to be called spiral than liam, as I choose it myself it means more... kinda silly maybe, but still hey, other ideas?------------------Trance the sacred spiral dance.Love and LightSpiral

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I got given this name years ago.. from a very wise guy called Chris.. He took me under his wing and showed me the spiritual side on the UK.. He introduced me to many people in the Druids circle around Glastonbury, also some very nice travelers who livedon the Droves just out side Glastonbury - who took me in like family when I had nowhere to go - so I lived on site for a few months.. No wanted to know each others real names back then - the criminal justice bill was going thru then and we had a lot of problems with our 'friendly boys in blue' if they asked us who was who - well that bloke over there is Spunky Dunky - that one over there is Cheesy.. I'm Stix and that girl over there is Ferel..used to drive them mad!!

Anyway when I came back to this area people started calling me NikiStix as there was another Nikki in teh pub.. everyone knew who they were talking about.. it just stuck..

Unfortunalty 'Wise' old Chris lived up to his name of Crazy by dying of a herrion overdose..

Don't mess with the hard stuff kids - it'll only grab you - suck you in make you rip off all your nearest and dearest - make you steal a much loved home on wheeles (I will still never forgive )- and then kill you! The true Chris is still missed the arse hole is not.

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
well I'm honured to meet another spiral, who has chosen that name for spiritual reasons

Spiral_komember
44 posts

Posted:
I think that giving yourself a new name (one you choose to go by in real life or not) is a very important to finding out who you really are spirt and person. Even if you and you group of really close mates name eachother it is an important rite of passage during our spiritual quest (the reason we are on earth).
I view it as searching for the key words or symbols(prince for example) that we feel represent who we are as an entity. These words and symbols change and that is when we add things on or replace old names with new ones. That is part of the growth progress (whether it be forward+ or negative-) Keeping in mind that I believe that deep down our soul urges us to move in a possitive direction.

What are your thoughts....

*Thanks for introducing yourself Spirl, I was hoping you would. Always interesting to meet people of a like mind (and name).

L&L
XxSpiral_ko

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
(posting again cos my old one isn't relevent anymore owing to a changed name.....)

Fluffy Napalm Fairy -

I owe the genius of this name to Stix, who came up with it at my house in June (is that right?) before Glastonbury when we were trying to think of a performance name. We were quite stoned and went through loads of really random crap, and I kinda really liked this one. Tis quite good I think.

for you stix. you've made one happy Fairy here

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
My pleasure Miss Napalm..

If there is one thing that I am good at and that is random stoned stuff..

I think it suits you too hunny!

[ 16 October 2002, 03:10: Message edited by: Stix ]

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Spiral_ko:
What are your thoughts....
Pretty much the same. Our names are what we use to identify with ourselves and with each other, as someone has allready mentioned on this thread their is power in names, even if it is only to conjour up a mental image of who you are yourself, within yourself or other people. Also many cultures throughout history, gave children names, but when the child achieved adulthood, they would chose, or be awarded a name which was suitable for the path they tread. I was given the name by an old mentor of mine, who started me out on the path I trod, which in turn lead me to where I am now. Alot of people still use my regular name, which I don't mind, and depending on how I'm feeling at the time, depends on what name I ussually introduce myself as. Previously I have been sacred spiral, but after certain events that happened a while back, I dropped the sacred, and am now just spiral, as you say, we are not static beings and are in a constant state of flux and change, wether it be physical growth and change, intellectual learning, or spiritual awareness. But I'm quite glad I'm not the only spiral here now

ivan..member
165 posts

Posted:
my dad started calling me ivan when i was 4
it's as much my name as the name i was christened with ( richard andrew )

more people call me ivan than richard and i lke it that way ... ther have been variations

Bestaknyi Ivanyukov Krasnyi
( tactless ivan the red in russian )
Yvon Ulagantai
( again ivan the red in mongolian )
Ivan Bellari
( bellari is latin for " to make war")

and generally Ivan

i mean look at me ( do i really look like a richard or rick or richie or dick ( ignore that last one )

but i think ther is a certain charm to the idea of a superhero/villian name and it's true when i perform i'm not the same boy that mamma burke raised ... snarls and grunts aside rebuilding yourself is liberating and fun .. but in the end we are who we are

pax,
ivan

thats right i look like an albino ape that has had a bad day.. go ahead say something stupid... i dare ya !

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Well Pink Poi because...i'm obsesed with the colour pink...and get called "Ms Pink" and such like by people often..and i thought that just Pink would be boring so..i added the poi...as i own some pink poi.

My real name is Alice..and i do live in my own little Wonderland!

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Deepmember
68 posts

Posted:
I have no idea why i chose Deep, no idea at all.

I wanna change my name now........hmmmmmmm

c'ya
chris/krysztof/deep

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
Mine's REALLY straight forward. My name's Helen, friends shorten it to Hels and sometimes Hels Bells. Ta Da!

Thought long and hard on that one!!

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Why do we give ourselves names

Some possible explanations
1 - Our given names are hideous
2 - We don't want any HOP freaks knowing who we we really are
3 - Secretly we all want to be somebody else
4 - Nicknames are fun, you might really be Mary but calling yourself Exotic Prince(ss) of the FireRealm is a tad more exciting
5 - Like me you are too lazy to type your full name Kat(hryn)

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I like my whole name too (I almost typed mane...eep!)

Rosalind Miranda May - I think it's quite pretty. But a bit pretentious for a website...no?

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
There was an old man called Michael Finnigan He gre whiskers on his chinnigan,

Yep folks you guessed it, its the most ludicrous name my dad could think of,

So poor old Liam Michael Finnigan beginagain, and turned into Spiral

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Methinks I'm the most unoriginal named member here! When it came down to it I wanted to just get across that I loved spinning fire and so pyrophile popped into my head.

My real name's Dave though, pretty normal, although I have been known as Raven or Salinger in my time...

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

Page: