Forums > Social Chat > Why do we give ourselves names?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
Right this is just a variation on cutie poi girlies whats your real name thread, but why do we give ourselves and use other names? I use spiral, because I think a name should mean something to you or about you. I prefer to be called spiral than liam, as I choose it myself it means more... kinda silly maybe, but still hey, other ideas?------------------Trance the sacred spiral dance.Love and LightSpiral

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I chose Cassandra (which is my middle name)cause I did not know how "safe" the people from this board would b as it was the first time I joined an internet board...I found out quickly that I could have logged in as "Danae" safely as well, but I kinda like Cassandra cause it is my name after all.And one of teh members here is called urinal cake... and that, on the otehr hand, will always remain a mystical mystery to me winkShine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Danae? Hrmmm.. is that Greek? Something about Zeus and golden rain?Anyway, I just needed some anonymity so I changed my last name to just NYC so I'd limit any High School stalkers to just 10 million possible people. In retrospect it may read a bit cocky to represent all of NYC, which I don't but I needed something quick. I also like the fact that I can buy thousands of hats/tshirts/mugs/snowglobes/etc. with my screen name on it. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
For me I chose Durbs because it was an old school nickname. I wouldn't use my full name because of security and if I just used "Paul" it wouldn't be as unique as there are many other Paul's around...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

el beardoBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
a lot of people know me simply as the beard, as its simpler to remember thatn santi. i think it also has something to do with when people talk about me they say "u know santi?" "no, whos he?" "u know, the one with the beard" "oh yeah, the beard"also, within the clubbing scene, most people know me as beard. the name has just stuck. when ur in a loud club, its easier to hear and understand "beard" than santi.absolutley nothing to do with security. mebe im being stoopid.------------------Flame on!

May your staff spin fast and your poi always miss your balls.

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Not going to go into details on this thread about meaning (its on Cutie's thread).. but as to why...How many Chris' are there out there I wonder..?? One or two perhaps..?? maybe three..???Fondness of Oriental culture and 14 years of Aikido have something to do with it..BANZAI !!!!------------------Kato

Kato

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
Dru Lee Parsec was originally a character I played in a role playing game called Traveller back in the 80's. (Imaginge D & D in space) He was a bit of a rogue who would take on just about any smuggling project to make enough money to upgrade his space ship.I adopted that handle as a hacker name when I started getting into computers (I first learn to code in Basic when I was 12 in 1971). So my login name was always DruLeeParsec on any system I had access to.DLP now exist mainly as a teacher of Java programming on www.LinuxNewbie.org and also as the lead developer for a free, open source, music teaching tool called "Tapper". https://tapper.sourceforge.netNow
that we have the internet DLP has become the cyber extension of my personality. I've met people from LNO who call me Dru in person and it's feels weird. It's like I'm not Dru, the guy who writes all that code is Dru. Does that make any sense? It's like I don't exist in cyber-space and Dru doesn't exist in meat-space but together we are whole. That may sound totally disfunctional but it's actually very healthy. I (me, not Dru, but the actual me) don't define myself by what I do at my job or by what code I write or so on. I define myself as a guy who loves my wife and family, plays and builds guitars, backpacks, rock climbs, (and now) spins poi.I think that's healthy smile

For a good Prime, call:29819592777931214269172453467810429868925511217482600306406141434158089

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
<> this is my real name...Super'

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
Hey I know, maybe its an internet induced form of split personality syndrome------------------Trance the sacred spiral dance.Love and LightSpiral

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Forgive this comlpete off topic joy : Mushinkato, glad to hear I have a sempai on HOP (as I have only 9 years of aikido behind me)YAY ! NYC : yep, Zeus is my man (though I have serious doubts about his being faithfull ! ) and ... eeer... still waiting for that golden rain !!!LOlSuperman... we all know your real name is Clark... Lois told me when she was drunk the otehr day winkSpiral, I think you are partly right. there was actually a thread about Online personnalities that I starte a while ago and many people acknowledged that theory...call the men in white... winkShine onCassandra[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 12 January 2002).]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
As with Cutie Poi Girlies post, according to Cantus I was unimaginative...a little unfair I think.My mother gave my name a lot of thought and came up with Carrey-Leigh, which roughly translated means "woman of the earth."I've since dropped the Leigh bit myself, though not officially, and I'm really comfortable with my name. The way it sounds to me (when pronouced right) is like music and the meaning is perfect...So, it's me, it's mine, it's individual and I love it...so why give myself another name? winkC

majikbratmember
12 posts

Posted:
MajikBrat has been my nick online for about 5 years. Its so bad that my kids and my hubbie call me that half the time. People have called my house and asked for Majik, called me at work and asked for Majik or DaBrat. I have been paged in airports as MajikBrat. it just fits me.------------------Around the pyre, a circle of thirteenThroughout these woods, ecstatic screamsI look deeply into your eyesI smell your hair, caress your thighsNow we'll make love by fire lightA blaze so high it lights the night"Type O Negative"

Around the pyre, a circle of thirteenThroughout these woods, ecstatic screamsI look deeply into your eyesI smell your hair, caress your thighsNow we'll make love by fire lightA blaze so high it lights the nightType O Negative

Spin Doctormember
34 posts

Posted:
I was gonna have the name Stu, because I'm called Stu on every other forum I post at! (Kerrang.com, A-Communication.com, both music forums)Anyway, I thought of the most terrible Poi-Related pun i could think of... And Spin Doctor propped up... smile heheTaStu

Imagine something witty or profound was here.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I perform. I create characters because I myself am shy. Pele is my stage persona for my fire shows, hence the name..... Definately a form of MPD in my case.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i use my last name, on here and in every day life. i dont feel like a michael or a mike. but i changed the spelling so nobody would say it wrong...

anyone got a light?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Cassandra, Danae is a beautiful name. So is Cassandra for that matter.Carrey, I actually said that Josh was as imaginative as you. So if you think that Josh is unimaginative then I'm sorry if I offended you. Seriously though, I in no way intended it to be an insult. Please dont take it as such.All of my screen names are those of slightly obscure Fraggle Rock characters.I wrote a thesis, at college, on the programme a few years back. As part of my research unearthed a complete cast list. All the main cast, minor characters, creatures and their respective puppeteers. So whenever I need a new screen name (Cantus isn't always available) I draw from that list.Which is why on AIM I'm named after 7wordsmax (only i spelt it wrong...tehe) a fraggle who can only talk in sentences made up of 7 words.Elsewhere I'm named after Mokey's talking plant.As to why I chose not to be known as James. It's because I wanted to seperate myself from my regular life. Which was dull.Only now, Cantus is my regular life. It's the name I paint/design under etc. So it's all good.------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Why Sick Puppy?I thought that would be obvious. winkActually, the sick part is a result of many years of people thinking that I am a little off in the head, even though after several years of psychology courses I have decided that I am completely sane.As for the puppy, well I just happend to be listening to Skinny Puppy at the time. I can't just go around having people call me sick, now can I. So I figured "Puppy? Why not?"------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
erm, not many people know my real name is john (not mentioning my last name here) because i havnt used it for the past 7-8 years now.my family and my friends have called me PK for a number of years now cos simply i dont answer to john! i dont even feel like a john.The vain-ego i use on here is just a website my good friend runs and will be hosting mine for me! not that i have a vain-ego what so ever. its just fun. other places such as yahoo chat i use international_smuggler as a main name and have many others that change from time to time.(friends on yahoo call me smug fer instance or PK) we all like to have a seperate life over the internet thats what makes us so interesting..names can mean a lot, something personal could be something very stupid most names are asociated with music i find or hobbies they can all be catagorised as like any thing can be. right its 1 am and i am blabering on here..lollaters pk........life is meaningful..so are our names..thats why we have them(just dont call me john)hehe

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie is the name I use because it's my nickname outside the web, (there's life on the other side of the monitor). My hair's curly when I was 12 one of my friends called my Fuzz because of my curly hair, it stuck. As time went by I decided to stretch the name to be as many letters as possibleFuzz, Fuzzy, Fuzzzy, Fuzzzy Wuzzzy, Phuzzzy Wuzzzy, Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie! By the my real name is Michael.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

MiSsFrOgmember
187 posts

Posted:
I think mine is pretty obvious, but just incase you all dont know. I have been a colecter of frogs for about 7 years now. When i was little i was told "you have to kiss alot of frogs before you find your prince" and since then i have been collecting anything and everything that has to do with frogs(and yes i found my prince hehe),hence the name Miss Frog.
Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link
------------------"come with me to a land of fantasy, take my hand down into techno wonderland"parents say video games affect teens I dont think they do,if they did, take pac man for example, we'd all be running around darkend rooms munching magic pills listening to repetitive music. PLUR[This message has been edited by MiSsFrOg19 (edited 12 January 2002).]

Its not easy being green....

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
my name doesn´t mean anything special, i'm just called Sebastian (Sebas for my friends..)and some years ago i thought that SaBBaS sounded more interesting... and its symmetrical! grincarrie and mushinkato, here´s a 5th kyu of aikido, sadly i had to stop some months ago because it didn´t leave me enough free time... i think the circular motion in poi is kinda simmilar to the one in aikido, but that´s just my opinion and i haven´t had too much experience with aikido, just some months. well, domo arigato gosaimasta (dunno how it's written...)ok, now you now something more about me...cyaSaBBaS [This message has been edited by SaBBaS (edited 12 January 2002).]

Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
Well mine had a few reasons for it. First my father was a pilot and my mother was a stewardess (flight attendant) so I have grown up on planes.The other reason was I fight Florentine style sword fighting and it just seemed appropriate.------------------Blessings to all, Peter "In motion, move like a thundering wave. When still, be like a mountain.Rising up, be like a monkey. Land swiftly and lightly like a bird. Be steadylike a rooster on one leg. One's stance is as firm as a pine tree, yetexpresses motion. Spin swiftly and circularly like a wheel. Bend and flexlike a bow. Waft gracefully like a leaf in the wind. Sink like a heavy pieceof metal. Prey like a watchful, gliding eagle. Accelerate like a gusty wind." Wushu Proverb

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

Neph23BRONZE Member
62 posts

Posted:
Neph... short for nephilium...23....fav number...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Kato, do you not also do about 8 other martial arts?BTW, hopefully I'll be at probe tonight and I'm bringing my glow staffs grin Maybe I'll see you there.

Meh

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
Spiral to me is the way the world turns. It came from when I used to trip alot, and over time it just turned into a sort of nickname, as cantus said he prefers to use cantus, I prefer people to call me spiral because it is a name that refers to how I see myself.Spiral grin------------------Trance the sacred spiral dance.Love and LightSpiral

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
Why give myself a name? What's in a name? That which we call a rose...No, seriously, it's because I don't want any of you wierdos looking me up on 192.com and following me home. winkPrincess xxBy the way, vain-ego are you a player killer (pk)? Because if you are, that's not very nice.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
nope.......pk came about when i was aged around 15 years old and has stuck ever since. if you know any ting about old skool BMX's then you would have a fair idea where my name came from.

Choobmember
6 posts

Posted:
Names are good, and having many names for many different contexts can be good, too, if it makes sense. It's another way of being creative, and it doesn't neccessarily boil down so simply to making some entity up or blowing yourself up bigger because you think you are "boring."I, for one, have many names, and have always had many names over the years. On a day to day basis, I am known as chaos. This name was given to me many years ago by someone very special, and while I have grown and learned much the mythos of those things "chaotic" has become increasingly relevant to the person that I am. I sometimes get snide comments from people asking what my "real" name is. Your real name is the one you think best suits you, or best describes those things that you are. When my parents named me, did they know what sort of personality I would have or what life I would end up leading? No, but I respect the fact that this name is something they have given me, so I respect their need to map it to me in that context. In any context that I have created with certain variables, certain names flow best.A great challenge, of course, is when you have been given a name and then receive a NEW name, or evolve your name- how do you share this change with companions without having them think you are going through some kind of identity crisis?Nothing as simple as it seems...chaos

Chaos Childemember
4 posts

Posted:
*waves*Well, I'm kinda new to this whole place, but this seems like a fun discussion.And lurking is boring.Chaos is more fun.And I'll be a child(e) until the day I die, thanks.PeaceCC

..~~''~~..~~''~~..~~''~~..P|-|342 7|-|4 K177Y

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I chose Raymund for the heck of it and Phule is an old name of mine pronounced "fool" Though some have seen it as Fuel. I think I will keep the original prununciation.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
Hey Cantus,Sorry I didn't post this sooner (no access on the weekend), and just wanted to say I wasn't offended...I was more using it to make my point...sorry! smileC

Page: