Forums > Social Chat > What makes YOU special?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
I'm sure that whenever someone asks you that question, you respond with "Fire Poi/Staff". But what makes you special here, among other fire twirlers? What's your claim to fame in our little subculture here? Not that this actually matters, but I'm curious.As for me, I'm a Junior in High School, and yet I act, sing, play piano, draw, paint, dance, and am learning Japanese. That's just the start of the list. Of course these aren't real "claims to fame", Hmmm...I guess the fact that I'm going to be a famous actor sometime later in my life qualifies. Well, maybe I'm just going to try to be a famous film actor, but I'll make it...just you wait. So anyway...what makes you special?------------------"Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form." -Hitokage---FireStorm---(jimidawg@snet.net)

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form. -Hitokage-

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001188.htmlwe
kinda did this a while back, but since there's soooo many new people since then, we can probably do with a new more contructive thread on the subject.as you were.[This message has been edited by flash fire (edited 11 January 2002).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I think that was more of a nonsensical thread whereas this one might be a nice, make yourself feel good kind of thread, without being too egotistical.I am a damn good interactive improvisational actress (so I am told). The proof to this is that I keep being hired back with raises and being placed in cast amongst people I have admired for years, who have also become very proactive for *my* career because they believe so much in me.I can spin a story that will make you wonder, wince and think a bit. My imagination scares everyone I know, including me.I am also good a planning things, organizing things (except my life), cooking, costuming, make-up.I have something of a green thumb and am able to bring many plants from the brink of death.I have one of those minds that rarely forgets on a permanent scale, sometimes it may take awhile but whatever I need to think of always comes back (at 3 in the morning in the middle of a damn good dream!)I am also good with *most* animals, especially reptiles, more specifically snakes, and can *usually* bring them back from near death as well.I am kind of a Jane of many trades, master of none....but I am working on that! winkNext!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

claremember
82 posts

Posted:
i can wiggle my ears, i have a distinctive (but not, i am told, unpleasant) voice, i can write creatively and well, both poetry, prose and script (and not in an 'i'm a WRITER' way. im published. i have won competitions), and i am half-decent at history, as a subject. i am not bad at life-drawing (yet only average at other drawing. go figurei am eloquent, and a persuasive public speaker.hehe. i feel silly.

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
I'm 6'8", some people say thats special, but try telling my head that when I forget to duck doorframes! grin------------------Trance the sacred spiral dance.Love and LightSpiral

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
what makes me special?i dont know...i find it difficult to write about myself..maybe over modesty?ive been told im "a free spirit"and im "beyond my years" as i dont seem to have many friend that are in my age group..ive always been 19 going on 40...6'8 wow man your tall!i thought i was tall im only a measly 5'11unreal. wink i bet you have a worse time than me finding pants that fit!!! for somereason clothing stores dont readily have a 36 inch inseam with a 27 waist/ hip hugger something something.. *lol*

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
difficulty finding trousers! u got it grin------------------Trance the sacred spiral dance.Love and LightSpiral

Spin Doctormember
34 posts

Posted:
I am special here because I probably suck at Poi the most!!! shocked But I only just started (still trying to get my left hand poi moving in a straight line, something that'll gradually improve i guess)Also, I'm starting a new band. smile I play bass, study A levels in my little excuse of a school. Oh and I'm perhaps the only punk-ass in the UK who does poi!!! *Can I eat it??? Then it's noooot punk*I'm just being random now...CheersStu (aka Spin Doctor)

Imagine something witty or profound was here.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
my third nipple..."S"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
Oi! This is turing into the "Yeah, but what else can you do?" thread. Doah!------------------"Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form." -Hitokage---FireStorm---(jimidawg@snet.net)

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Mummy thinks I'm special...In all other I areas I seem to be king of mediocrity frownExcept maybe drumming. Oh - I have a pet hamster, does that count?And I can cross my toes (which apparently is abnormal).Claim to fame wise - I have a collection of drumsticks from various bands ranging from Ben Folds Five to Soulwax (alphbetically) and I'm going to be famous wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

FirePoi-boymember
71 posts

Posted:
I'm a good listener............................................................................................................................................................................ .................................................................................................................................................................................... .................................................................................................................................................................................... .................................................................................................................................................................................... ................................................See![This message has been edited by FirePoi-boy (edited 14 January 2002).][This message has been edited by FirePoi-boy (edited 14 January 2002).]

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
I am special for the same reason everybody else is..In the grand scheme of things, we all came from the same place; we are all made of the same stuff; we are all destined for the same fate....and none of us know how or why.We are all special.. and if anyone is 'more special' than anyone else.. its because they realise that they are special.Here endeth the lesson. And no, Im not religeous, but I do believe we owe it to 'something' to make the best of what we've got.. and for me personally, I am doing my best by trying to understand the laws of the universe through, amongst other things, spinning.Hitokage.. heres a question for you. You seem like a guy that thinks a lot.Scientists discovered planets revolving around distant stars. Can you see the startling similarity between *how* they made that discovery and how a poi ball swings around your hand..??I'll tell you now dude.. It made me feel special when I saw.. special because EVERY time I pick up my poi's and swing them my body is conforming to exactly the same fundamental laws of nature that govern the entire known universe.That deep enough for you..??anon.. ------------------Kato[This message has been edited by Mushinkato (edited 15 January 2002).]

Kato

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
i can twist my tounge 360 degrees! now if i couldonly do a tounge wrap (with staff)

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I can uhh, make my shoulder blades stick out like I'm a hunchback (I freak girls out that way *evil grin*)Lez see... what else. I'm unique, just like everyone else, I can stare at something for hours without blinking (I found that out a while ago) I can uhh... do the chicken dance! WOO!*shuffles off singing the chicken dance*

Insatiable fire-faerie (Angie)BRONZE Member
150 posts

Posted:
erm ok.....this is where I meant to put my reply (not on the Main S.D board....Im poop at this believe me!!)KATO.......I love your Philosophy!!!Im not on a very good 'feel good about myself and share it with others' kinda mode right now but I can only be the best I can....and hope that people take me for what I am.....no bullshit........no materialistic bollocks......Im 'me' and I have to be strong. 2002 hasnt been a very good start for me (and Im sure it hasnt been for a lot of other peeps too) but Im hoping that things can only get better. When u are at the bottom of the mountain, there is only one way to go and that is up! Im not the greatest spinner in the world...but I would say my good points are.... Im a openhearted, caring, truthful person who loves to be helpful and supportive to others. I am a mum of two wonderful boys who fill my life with sunshine even at the darkest times. I am a good communicator and listener.Oh and I have recently become young, free and single again.......I am adding that as one of my good points wink.... Erm....ok Ill leave right now........Love and happiness Angie x------------------"If you alway do what youve always done, youll always get what youve always got".....by 'someone wiser than me'

"You've got red on you!" Shaun of the Dead

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Too kind Angie, too kind.Thinking about the original question though, I guess the one thing that sets me aside from a lot of other people; certainly in these circles (excuse the delibarate pun there), is that I have abnormally high levels of energy compared to most. I can spin almost non-stop for up to ten hours and not feel tired the next day.. sore, yes, but not tired. I can also alter my metabolism and heartrate at will.. takes practice like anything else, but it is within everyones reach.The key to this is no big secret either.. and no, I have never taken drugs or even felt the need. (No dis-respect to anyone that does though) Sorry if this sounds like a load of sanctimonious garble.. but I am only being true to myself.------------------Kato

Kato

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Simple. We are all stardust. We are formed in the cataclysmic inferno of a beautiful million stars, and brought together before even the dawning of our own sun.

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
WowDom you rock!You're a hard act to follow and right now I can only think of very dull and not-at-all special things to say in comparison. But I'm going to go away feeling pretty special after reading your post. Thanks!
Non-Https Image Link

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
Nice theories AND he appears to have a Japanese name. I like this guy!------------------"Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form." -Hitokage---FireStorm---(jimidawg@snet.net)

Insatiable fire-faerie (Angie)BRONZE Member
150 posts

Posted:
Kato....Im keen to hear how you alter your metabolic and heart rate at will!Wanna share?Angiex

"You've got red on you!" Shaun of the Dead

majikbratmember
12 posts

Posted:
Ok I can no longer resist.And after reading all the posts I already know this is gonna sound lame. But....I can handle a restaraunt of 14 tables, 11 of which seat four, three of which seat 6, alone plus answer the phone, take all the cash and bad all the to-go orders by myself.I have 4 kids ranging in age from 4-10. Not only are none of them in trouble with the law. But they are all fairly smart and socially concious as well. And they love me.According to my husband, I am a good partner.My church trusts me to teach R.E. (sunday school.)Blessed BeDaBrat------------------Around the pyre, a circle of thirteenThroughout these woods, ecstatic screamsI look deeply into your eyesI smell your hair, caress your thighsNow we'll make love by fire lightA blaze so high it lights the night"Type O Negative"

Around the pyre, a circle of thirteenThroughout these woods, ecstatic screamsI look deeply into your eyesI smell your hair, caress your thighsNow we'll make love by fire lightA blaze so high it lights the nightType O Negative

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Angie.. Please feel free to e-mail me.. this could take a while.Hitokage my man.. whome were you refering to in your last post..??ps: studied any cosmology lately..?? I find it helps with my poi when learning some of the moves.. ..seriously.------------------Kato

Kato

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Hey, if anyone's still reading this then I apologize for the let down after so many witty and interesting replies but I can only see one thing that sets me apart from the crowd.I love to smile. grinA single smile costs nothing but means everything to those who encounter it. More often than not the people I see will go away smiling to themselves as a reaction to my grin - to smile at those I meet is simply to infect them with my happiness. (IMHO) this makes me special smile

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Ros, that was one of the most moving posts i think i have ever read. Just reading it made me want to go and hug a dolphin, plant a tree, or do i dare say it???? yes i do...save a whale..... tongue tongue tongue....Im just kidding Ros. I saw an opportunity for sarcasm, and i had to at your expense. Actually, your post did put a sMile on my face. I was just messing with you.I like to smile. I personally like that big dopey "i just had alot of sex" grin that my wife leaves on my face about 5 times a week. grin grinWhat makes me special? my humor and wit. I have this incredible since of humor. That coupled with my incredible optimism has opened the door to some life-long and valued friendships.Super'------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

- Mark Twain

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
Well, i can talk about nothing for as long as you want me too. Seriously, i had a competition with my english teacher about who could talk about nothing for the longest and we both took a whole class each. (that was two years ago, it feels like only yesterday).And i have strange powers over old people. For some reason they like me. I can make them do things at will.Like when i was on a train to melbourne and i was sitting next to the good looking girl, but i was unfortunately not in my seat (how did that happen) and an old lady asked me to move but then i talked to her for five minutes and she sat down the row and i got to sit next to the good looking girl even longer (and i got her phone number yay).Okay im rambling again.CheersAPB

Good on usGood on us all

SurlochSILVER Member
64 posts

Posted:
Ok lets see. I can wiggle my eyes really quickly from side to side. I have been told I dance really well. I can write fiction and think up stories at the drop of a hat. I find it easy to make friends, and hard to make enemies. I am however usually really shy and have developed the art of fading into the background in any social circumstance. There isn't really anything special about me I guess, nothing at all deep and meaningful, just a couple of quirks. I doubt I will ever be famous, or win a nobel prize. Yet luckily that doesn't really bother me that much, I'm quite happy enough as I am.

Ní mar a síltear a bítear

“Things may not be as they seem to be”

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Hey superman - I know exactly what you mean about that dopey smile that your wife leaves on my face winkI recently said my 3 times tables up to and including 67x3 I got bored at 201 and stopped.Apart from licking my elbow that I mentioned in that other thread (ask Ros - I sent her a couple pics smile) I can also join my hands behind my back and bring them over my head without letting go, then step over them then bring them back over my head etc, and my wrist can do at least a 540 degree turn (=1.5 times around)In the not so weird stakes I can extract DNA from cancerous human liver cells, I can write computer programs in a half dozen or so languages, and I can kick serious arse at trivial pursuit!Oh and I can solve a Rubik's Cube tongue------------------Iggity-aggity-oop-eh-eh! Ziggity-zaggity-zoo-ah-ah! Oooh-ooh-phblt! Eh-eh-ackh! Flippity-flappity-floop!

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
quote:
Hey superman - I know exactly what you mean about that dopey smile that your wife leaves on my face
Haa haahaaahee ...wait, HEY THATS NOT FUNNY!! grin grin grin [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif">"S"------------------[/image]He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

- Mark Twain

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Hey wink I thought my post was pretty true. Tell me you didn't smile when reading it............

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
Mushinkato, my man! I was referring to you of course!------------------"Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form." -Hitokage---FireStorm---(jimidawg@snet.net)

Page: