Forums > Social Chat > Here's on e for you all

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So, as you know we are (slowly) planning the International Convention for 2003.We *hope* to have a mainstage to spotlight professional performers/groups to get a real good taste of styles, costumes, presentations, tra la la.It was mentioned that I should perform at this thing and the thought turns my stomach. Workshoppes I'll do, no problem. But to get up on the main stage and perform...no....and I am a professional performer by trade! shockedSo, then tonite I spoke with a friend who owns a group and asked him if he'd be interested. After his initial comment of "Baby, you couldn't afford me" rolleyes(You know you had that coming! wink)he declined and I realised for the same reason I don't want to perform....we have both witnessed the way several people on here tend to watch performers and then proceed to rip them to shreds. Neither of us feel comfortable performing because of that (though he more politically put it as the group doesn't feel comfortable performing for their peers).So my question...are you comfortable performing for your peers (not getting up and spinning for the fun of it, I mean performing). Why or why not?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
i have found that theres a lot of "klikishness" (for want of a better word) amongst groups of spinners, i have been made fun of ect without even picking up any sort of fire toy at all. who knows, ingroup dynamics are a crazy thing, maybe i didnt ware the right clothes or something?anyway i think so long as you remain proud, but not to proud to learn and listen to other peoples comments then youll go far. at the end of the day you can always say, yeah whatever, you know more than me, can do more ect, but at least i was up there doing what i like and having fun!. plus, people who dont do poi or martial arts ect dont really pick up on technical aspects of it . as long as its fun, its all good. so who cares what other performers think, pele? they should worry about their own technique, cause if they think they are the best, they cant look to anyone else for guidance, and they miss out on lots by not getting over themselves

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i've so far done a few paid gigs doing poi and fire breathing, it is kinda daunting when you notice the crowd, i dont like it much but it can be fun. my first gig which i think was way to early to be doing it in front of 600 people..i made so many mistakes set my trousers on fire and couldnt do many moves. so i am very nervous about spinning in public..and on another note i find most people where i live seem to judge me on the way i look, me being heavily facialy pierced and a nice big mowhawk, people can then see my abilities and my self expression when i spin and change their oppinion about me. i'm not just some punk with an attitude cos that isnt me at all. but if i'm out spinning with the likes of Kato, Thistle, Marlboro, Spiral etc..i am fine i can just do my own thing like i am in my own back yard spinning on my own maybe trying to put these new moves in with the old ones get lost in that trance like state of mind.I do still however consider myself as a beginer, i have been learning poi now for 4-5 months not long and i dont think i would do a performance for some time yet but that is again my choice as like pele's. i spin for the love and the freedom and for the fire and also self expression. I like to pass on my skills to others too, i'm not in it to show off in any way. I am happy to sit and watch others spin, i love to watch through my camera lens even the less able make a good picture and are still even more interesting than others with a greater ability.. in time it will come the ability to get up on stage one day, just when it feels right! i understand where pele is coming from and i know where others are coming from but in your own mind if you are not happy with a situation then thats fine..........PK in poi, it will flamein spirit, it will burn!in sky, it will lightin mind, it will flow!together the time will come and it will all make sense grin

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
OK I'll admit it. I avoided reading this thread because I thought it had something to do with people "on e" and I wasnt in the mood for our monthly drug debate... Alas I have missed out quite a bit.Firstly, as for cassandra, yes it's true, I flew thousands of miles and braved the elements and have still yet to see the girl spin fire. frown Maybe some day.Secondly, I'm disappointed at your comments Pele. IF I do make it out there I'd be sad to not have seen you perform. I would hate for there to be a rift between the pros and amatures.Not to get too personal (but you did bring it up) I think it is the classic conflict between fire personna and real person. I would hope you could share both with us at the HOP gathering.As far as performing for my peers... I never had a problem. I agree that they can be your toughest critics but they can also be the most understanding.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Soon enough, NYC darling, soon enough winkshine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Storytellermember
19 posts

Posted:
I too base my spinning in part on the energy and expectation of the people watching me, and though I don't know that many tricks and changes, I can spin in ways that amaze even me if the crowd is into it. If the crowd doesn't like it, I feel that it reflects on their judgements as well as my skill so I never take others judgements personally. I love the crowd, I'm a born performer, but I do it because I love it.Whether I'm spinning, playing music, acting or dancing if others can't feel the magick that raises around me, then they're not of the kind of energetic configuation that make spinning special.------------------ Ribbons of color twining and flux, open tomorrow for me

Ribbons of color twining and flux, open tomorrow for me

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Wow! NYC and I avoided this thread for exactly the same reason.and Wow! Isn't it great to have a serious discussion going on again, on a topic inmportant to all of us.One thing that has really stuck out amongst most of the opinions here is the "They are better than me" "They will judge me" feelings on spinning in front of other spinners.Personally, I think that "Better" isn't as cut and dry as most people think. I prefer the term "can do more stuff than me" or "has a nice smooth rhythym" or "is really really fast".Comparing these skills at a convention defeats the whole point of a convention. It would be called a contest if it was just about trying to be better than everyone else.I like the idea put forward about calling it a DEMONSTRATION instead of a performance. Much nicer and less clad in high expectations.Also, there will always be people who put down others, in most cases, they tend to put down the talented ones more than anyone else. I won’t delve into the intraciacies of the human condition (well, not in this thread), but at any Convention, there will always be a few.Please don’t let those few deprive all the rest of us of seeing you guys perform…oops, demonstrate, and I for one will be cheering loudly no matter what!------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Sundevilmember
8 posts

Posted:
I don't mind performing for my friends, maybe because I'm the only one out of them that had the patience to learn it, or maybe because I only do it when they are drunk enough(or on shrooms or E) that they can fully appreciate it.Sundevil"I have come to the conclusion that E is bad for me, not because of all the medical results in magazines, not because of the nasty hangover I get the next day, But because my left eyelid gets droopy/lazy whenever I take it"-call me vain

TheGrynygoggmember
47 posts

Posted:
I have no idea of how good or bad (which is more likely) I am. I have only ever seen one bloke staff spinning before, well except for the monks and Chinese state circus on tv but they don't even need to be told that they're good. I couldn't perform until I had a basis of comparison and I felt comfortable with how I measured up.

Just ignore me. Everyone else does.

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Wow what a topic to perform or not to perform that is the question i ask of thee??? I used to write poetry and had books and books of it i then made the mistake of reading one to a friend who reads at coffee houses he told me to read .i said 'never".. his words of wisdom to me were " once the poem is written it no longer belongs to the artist and it must be shared << from the little i have seen of poi people most are aritsts in thier own right>>>.. it was amazing how i felt after my hands stopped shaking enough to ready my own words . but i was off .. and that same mindset has follwed me into all my affiars..someone talked about the engery they pull from the people watching for me that is the high of performing. after about a mintue everyone is gone it is just me the music and whatever it is i am doing as a show and that engery of the people watching...to hear the feedback from the people who have just seen a show just drives me harder to perform at a higher level,, But then again i am a ego monster.. I have just fell upon fire poi and this truely interesting art form .. I have used whips for years and was looking for a fire whip which is what lead me here.. That fear i have heard from others was with me as well of doing your thing in front of people who know what they are watching..it is a big fear for most but getting over that fear unlocked a new mindset for methat mindset being most that know what they are doing and comfortable with their own level of knowage and skill dont judge others but are more likely to give you positive feedback only driving you harder ..as far as demos they are great but i dont feel they are done in the same mindset as a performace..i dont know about any of you others but for me i need to see demos and performaces i tend to run out of ideas after a while and i seem to be able to learn something new from just about anyone i watch new or old.. a mind is like a parachute it only works if it is open------------------I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Riz. I think poetry is just the same as firedancing. I've been doing live readings of my own work on and off for the last 3 years and there's no way you can say one person's work is better than someone else's.You can say you don't like it, or that it doesn't connect with everyone in the audience, but critiquing someones else's words doesn't work coz it was written for them, not you...Just my 0.02c again...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Kalaniokeahimember
3 posts

Posted:
I entered the 2001 World Fire Knife Competition and felt the same... very intimidated being amongst the other performers. These were the guys I studied for hours on VHS tapes... the guys I admired... the guys I thought of during my practice. Intially, backstage was tense as all were in mental/physical preperation, but as the 4 day event progressed, it became more relaxed... speaking for myself, I felt a great bond with all the guys that competed after the final day... was especially nice to see the winner of the competition complementing and encouraging those that did not hit their dance... a memory I will never forget. I go back not only to compete and win in 2002, but for the feel of sharing the stage and time with these performers. Pele. NOt the same situation as yours, but when you share the stage with other performers for an event, there is often something very special that is built between all (especially when the others are as passionate as you)... you will miss that if you do not do.

Page: