• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Chat > Here's on e for you all

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 12
Pele
BRONZE Member since Dec 2000

Pele

the henna lady

Total posts: 6193
Posted:So, as you know we are (slowly) planning the International Convention for 2003.We *hope* to have a mainstage to spotlight professional performers/groups to get a real good taste of styles, costumes, presentations, tra la la.It was mentioned that I should perform at this thing and the thought turns my stomach. Workshoppes I'll do, no problem. But to get up on the main stage and perform...no....and I am a professional performer by trade!
Non-Https Image Link
So, then tonite I spoke with a friend who owns a group and asked him if he'd be interested. After his initial comment of "Baby, you couldn't afford me"
Non-Https Image Link
(You know you had that coming!
Non-Https Image Link
)he declined and I realised for the same reason I don't want to perform....we have both witnessed the way several people on here tend to watch performers and then proceed to rip them to shreds. Neither of us feel comfortable performing because of that (though he more politically put it as the group doesn't feel comfortable performing for their peers).So my question...are you comfortable performing for your peers (not getting up and spinning for the fun of it, I mean performing). Why or why not?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...http://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Delete Topic

Cantus
SILVER Member since Jul 2001

Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity

Total posts: 15965
Posted:I don't perform. I just spin.

"I'll carry this....It's harder to spill a hat" - Chellybean
"...like a rabbit caught in a lighthouse?" - Chellybean

Delete

fluffy napalm fairy

fluffy napalm fairy

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3638
Posted:I've only just started spinning in front of people who aren't spinners themselves and that scares me enough. The thought of doing a performance in front of others who are probably much more skilled and experienced than me is positively petrifying!

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Delete

Cassandra

Cassandra

Froggie ... Ribbit !!!

Total posts: 4224
Posted:hmmmmm.... interesting question and I still have not come to a clear conclusion about that ...yes, it is somehow different to perform in front of people who have no idea what fire spinning is than to perform in front of fellow twirlers (NB : I am going to use the word perform here just to describe the fact that you are spinning alone in front of otehrs... not to talk about performer versus amateur etc. as I certainly am no performer, but I truly think that it takes the same courage to just spin "for fun" in front of your peers for an amateur like me than performing for them for a performer like you. I know you might not agree with that, but in one situation it is about how people judge your work and in the other it can even feel like how people judge .... you as a person ... both are hard to face ...So usually my twisted little brain gets stuck if I think in term of me, the newbie , spinning in front of advanced twirlers that are going to juge me. But there is something else too... Deep down I feel I can't really bring them anything or inspire them really so why waste their time ? But spinning is fun, and yes, spinning in front of an audience is fun. I love to watch people twirl, even complete beginners so why would it be much different for others ?Truth is, I was thinking a bit about that wonderful gathering we are working on. And , well, I wondered if by any chance my stupid ego would freeze when I am surrouded by all these amazing spinners, and if I might not become even too shy to just spin freely AT ALL... But I hope that the pleasure of being all together will help me get over the shame. In teh worst case I'll just watch.hmmm... not wanting to perform... when NYC came to visit me I was terrified to spin in front of him. Really petrified. And that was despite the fact that i knew he did not care and he was not going to roll on the floor laughing at me... So i can imagine that it would be hard to dare face the judgement of people I don't even know. Same about COL tape. Damn, I was so ashamed to be on the video with all the other advanced and talented people. But then again, it's just a tape (a great and inspiring tape, but not a final judgement on who we are, just a snapshot). And well, the performance is also just a performance.I know that some people's comment can hurt big time. But truth is ... I think it is healthy ! I think the critiques, no matter how hard they'd be, would help me as long as they are constructive and if I felt he /she is just trying to help. I pretty much dislkie social polite compliments , you know ?One thing I just realized, i love spinning and performing for kids. They are a terribly hard audience. if you bore them or they think you suck, they'll just turn their back and go. But it is all "true". Whereas with most grown ups, those who compliment you are not always those who liked it and those who critisize, not always those who disliked it. But this habbit of making fun of someone cause ... it's fun, or critisizing for the wrong reasons... that is not a "priviledge" of this board, rather a very common thing everywhere, but we should not pay too much attention to that either ... And certainly not to the point of not performing for all the people you love and who love you and would love to see your show...I'd love to see you perform.Shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Delete

Mushinkato

Total posts: 164
Posted:When I get going; I mean when I REALLY get going, I elevate to an entirely different level. (Kinda hard to explain to anyone who has never experienced the finer points of deep meditation.)I go into a deep trance when Im spinning sometimes, and it usually works best when I can feed off the energy of people surrounding me. Being close to plants and trees also has a similar effectfor me. Good music and the right atmosphere also act as a good catalyst.Having never taken any substances, I remain 100% receptive to the energy surrrounding me and find I can sense subtle changes in the crowd; usually because of what Im doing.(Dont worry; this is all leading to my response to the original message)So... Pele, my answer is yes, I personally would jump at the chance to 'perform'; and for anyone... at any time. When it came to getting up on a stage, whether in front of ten people or ten-thousand, I would do the breathing, clear the mind/spirit etc etc and do nothing different from what I always do. The notion of 'performance' wouldn't enter my head at all. At the end of it all I would be deeply thankful to all present for 'allowing' me to share my energy with them. I would also be silently thankful to them for letting me 'feed' off thier energy too (although most if not all would have absolutely no idea of it.. if you see what I mean..??).I hope this is along the lines of responses you were looking for..? I know a lot (if not all) of what I've said may sound pretty far out to some, but to put it bluntly, I well and truly get off on it.!!ps: It makes absolutely no difference to me whether my 'audience' is made up of experienced spinners, newbies, non-spinners or even people who couldn't give a toss... they would all still be human and they would all still share the same capability of harnessing universal energy.. just at different levels.------------------Kato[This message has been edited by Mushinkato (edited 10 January 2002).]

Kato

Delete

Carrey
SILVER Member since Dec 2001

Total posts: 180
Posted:I had a similar experience on Tuesday the first time I ever went to meet up with other Poi people for a spin. I felt really pathetic to even be trying to spin fire in front of other people who were so obviously better, more comfortable, etc. but I still had a good time...you lose yourself in it, don't you?I'm sure we can always appreciate other styles and moves...I started this because it was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen anyone do, and it always will be, regardless of who or what level...don't you agree?Plus, there won't only be Poi people at the convention with there?C

Delete

Mushinkato

Posted:I think you got the vibe Carrey.. and I couldnt agree more with what you've said !!I mentioned in my last message about being in a world of my own etc etc.. thats all well and good, but I think I should have emphasised that I dont do it all to the point of excluding or ignoring others.. that couldnt be farther from the truth.I also agree wholeheartedly with you on the bit about watching others of different levels and different styles etc.. when Im resting, watching others gives me a great deal of pleasure and energy.Dont feel pathetic when your spinning next to someone really good !! When Im in the company of more experienced folk I take it as a fun opportunity to learn and better myself. Even if people dont openly show it, they generally give you the thumbs up if you are trying and making an effort. When I seen people who, dare I say it, havnt got a clue, it gives me tremendous joy when I see a smile on thier faces when they get even the most basic move right!! It makes me smile too. (like this...
Non-Https Image Link
)------------------Kato

Kato

Delete

Dom
BRONZE Member since Dec 2001

Dom

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3009
Posted:I think everyone's thinking the same thing here.Personally I get really nervous speaking to people, let alone spinning in front of them! My staff still stays at home most Tuesdays through fear of making a complete fool of myself! However I'm happy to spin poi as I'm not there to show off, I'm just having a little spin, something I really, really enjoy regardless of how good I am! I've only been spinning something like 7 months, so I'm not expecting to stun anyone or enter a competition with Sage. If anyone asks me for help I'm flattered, and if anyone offers tips or a new trick I'm grateful.There's 2 different kinds of people who spin in front of other spinners - those spinning to show off and prove they're the greatest spinner ever; and then those that spin to have fun, share their knowledge and maybe get pointers from other people. Obviously the first kind gets little respect and are luckily in the minority.On the other hand your two audience member types are the critic (who's also the show-off spinner) and the interested observer who can either learn something, or teach you something. The latter is who you're spinning for. A critic's opinion may be loudest, but is generally worthless.So, shed your doubts, inhibitions and paranoia. Spin and be happy!Pele, if you don't perform at the gathering I'll be pretty disappointed. This board is full of non judgmental people who'd love you to share your art and experience with them.

Delete

Carrey

Posted:Hey Kato,Thanks for that..."Pathetic" may have been a bit of a strong word
Non-Https Image Link
, but I did wonder why anyone would bother to watch me...I'm going to practice so much before Feb 2003 that I'm sure I won't feel like an amateur by then!I can't wait!C
Non-Https Image Link
PS: I know what you mean about watching someone master a move - I taught my boyfriend the forward weave one Summer evening and I created another addict instantly...
Non-Https Image Link

Delete

Mushinkato

Posted:(to follow from Dom's last message)Hear hear..!!! Go on Pele.. you know you can do it !!
Non-Https Image Link
Carrey.. please dont think I was calling you pathetic.. I would never do such a thing.------------------Kato[This message has been edited by Mushinkato (edited 11 January 2002).][This message has been edited by Mushinkato (edited 11 January 2002).][This message has been edited by Mushinkato (edited 11 January 2002).]

Kato

Delete

Carrey

Posted:Sorry Kato, I meant that me calling myself pathetic may have been a bit strong...so don't worry...
Non-Https Image Link
C

Delete

Jez

addict

Total posts: 642
Posted:I have no problem performing in front of other twirlers for the following reason.Everytime I watch others spin I find I have something to learn. I do not judge by their ability, I watch their style, as each of us has a different style there is something we can learn from everybody. I have often shown complete beginners how to spin and once they have got the move down they automatically put it into their own style. So complete novices may do something that will inspire you to come up with something new.On another note, I have lent out my practise poi to kids who have just thrown them about their body and every once in a while they pull off something that looks good and that you have not thought of. So my point is that inspiration for improvement can come from twirlers of all ability and to judge someone by ability is unfair because all it shows is they have not practised long enough. You would be eating your words if you judged someone by their ability but a few months on they have overtaken you and are much better.The beauty of watching other twirlers should not be missed or judged, and it has been mentioned many times that this is an art and with all forms of art it is open to opinions and personal tastes and a style that I may dislike to watch may actually be loved by others watching.So all those who will be there watching, and all those who have seen the videos etc... take heed when judging others as this judging of others reflects more about your personality than it does about the performers.I hope that makes sense!Dave------------------'Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience'

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

Delete

Dom
BRONZE Member since Dec 2001

Dom

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3009
Posted:Carrey - If that was you on Tuesday then you've got no fears about looking pathetic! And if that was Stu's first fire (or did I imagine you saying that) then he waited too long!See you next week.

Delete

Neph23
BRONZE Member since Nov 2001

Total posts: 62
Posted:I have performed once in front of a group of people who knew nothing about spinning. They liked what they saw. I then performed for a group of people who did know about spinning, and they were kind enough to critique me. As a beginner I feel it is necessary to spin in front of different groups of people to create a style that is pleasing for both crowds. So many people always look at something and say they could do it better. I found myself saying that about a photograph one time and stopped myself. I probably couldn't do it better, just different.Im very sleepy, please forgive the rambling...------------------Http://www.VitalePhotography.com

Delete

Mushinkato

Posted:Carrey....
Non-Https Image Link
Cool.. ps: On creating instant addicts.. I think thats something a great many of us are guilty of !!pps: I keep thinking.. 'where's Pele' but I just realised it about midnight in NZ.. silly me..!!
Non-Https Image Link
------------------Kato[This message has been edited by Mushinkato (edited 11 January 2002).]

Kato

Delete

Carrey

Posted:Ah, Dom, sorry, yes that was me...so thank you, thank you...
Non-Https Image Link
I just always feel as though I have so much more to learn and achieve, but that's not a negative as far as I see it...I just had another thought - a fear of performing might have something to do with the fact that you can't actually see the visuals that you create with the fire when you perform. You feel them, and hear them, but to see them you have to watch someone else. That way I am always in awe of people, no matter what level they are at, because I could never be sure that what I do looks the same.And Stu did have his first fire on Tuesday night...and loved it...naturally!
Non-Https Image Link
C

Delete

Bendy

Total posts: 750
Posted:Pele - Just do the weave fast!
Non-Https Image Link
tee heeSeriously though, I don't perform either, but I do twirl in front of people way more advanced than me. I totally understand what you are saying since generally a performance is to entertain/impress etc.Instead of doing a "performance", how about a demonstration - less pressure? We could have numerous "demonstrations" from various people on the site. I'll take the stage for some comic relief - you'll find it easy to follow my demonstration
Non-Https Image Link
When I met up with Josh and Katinca (for the first time as a fellow fire-twirler), I was quite intimidated, and it took a while to bring my toys out. Likewise some newcomers to our Fri night meetings have been unnecessarily nervous and humbled.They are both really encouraging, and it is weird, but I get a kick out of their approval (psycho-death-poi-from-hell a good example). I almost feel like they are proud parents!
Non-Https Image Link
hee hee, bad analogy!However, I am comfortable now in mine and everyone else's abilities to know that there are many people more advanced and some less advanced. I don't know of anyone who would say "that sucks" and wouldn't care if they did. I actually have more trouble taking compliments than insults.A cheer is all good, but how do you take compliments? (without going too far off topic)[This message has been edited by Bendy (edited 11 January 2002).]

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Delete

[Nx?]
BRONZE Member since Nov 2001

[Nx?]

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3749
Posted:yo peeps,I am a profesional performer, acting, dancing, inprov, singing and playing. And while I have only really just started performing with fire I feel that the experance is really the same.Its inportant to remember whos onstage, ie 'you'. Most peaple dont have the balls to do anything so vunerable and that infact makes you strong. Ability is not really inportant, as long as you are comfortable with your level and shure of your performance it dosnt matter. We have all discussed at length the fact that a 5 beat and 3 beat dont look all that diffrent and only spinners really see it (and not always them) and so it more about how you do your tricks, how much effort, energy, movement and grace you put to each move. I love to watch spinners who may not be very good technically but can really dance or just look like they are having the time of their lives. I can play football but I love the look of a footballers face when he scores a goal, makes me happy too.Nervousness is a good thing, it is an excess of energy built up before a performance that breaks and washes the stage for you. If your not nervious you are probibly going to have a bad performance, unless you are the consumate pro. As soon as I step on 'stage' then nothing else really matters, its your space, your time to do with as you would. you will never produce the 'best' performance and you will never be the 'best' technician, theres always someone who can get the extra twist on the double testical wrap to nose-stall fakey. Realising thease things, there is absolutly no kneed to fear a 'slagging' by other spinners, who are ignorant of the above fact. At the end of the day, if your performance stinks, its because you wernt ready in yourself, and thats an important lesson to learn. Peaple do not (and cannot) survive on applause, and your life wont end without it. Pele, if your not perfoming, im not going, and that goes the same for all you lovely peaple out there. If there are judjemental peeps on this board (which I havent seen, but not been on as long as pele) well... I got a big burny stick here.....
Non-Https Image Link
Love to you allNix?

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Delete

pozee
BRONZE Member since Jul 2001

old hand

Total posts: 886
Posted:for me performing in front of people is easy. not to sound cocky, but this is my passion. i have never loved something soo much. i know that people like to watch it, and that is what i love, and constructive criticism is always welcome. if there is something that i am doing that doesnt look quite right, or something that looks awesome that people like to see more of, then i love to hear about it.if someone can teach me something new, amazing, i love to learn as well. one of the things that i absolutely love is to spin with someone relatively new and a bit inexperienced, but willing to learn. i dont get that huge sense of accomplishment as much anymore, so now i try to teach and feed off of that look of accomplishment that other people get when i have helped them learn something new and elusive.this new life of poi and staff has changed me for the better. confidence, attitude, humility, and love.seriously, aside from myst(he always talks shit)
Non-Https Image Link
i dont think anyone would really talk bad things to anyone that has the balls to try.i love what i do, and no amount of bad remarks could ever take that away from me...

anyone got a light?

Delete

Stu

Total posts: 16
Posted:Thanks Carrey & Dom... Tuesday was my first fire & an unbelievable experience as everyone said it would be. Watching everyone else (including you C) was inspiration in it's self. I think that is the point.. Whilst I was the least experienced outside, inside I'd been helping some first timers weave (something I only worked out last week), you don't know who will be watching or what they will get from it. You may be the only person on the planet to inspire that person.From the other point of view, I'm not religious but the quote is still valid: 'Even God only judges you on the last day - what gives you the right to do it now'So I say get up & do it.... If you ever look round & think someone is judging you, Just think of me looking on very impressed.------------------~ Don't think you are, Know you are ~Stu ;)

~ Don't think you are, Know you are ~Stu ;)

Delete

Pele
BRONZE Member since Dec 2000

Pele

the henna lady

Total posts: 6193
Posted:I am right here Kato, in the US, where I live!
Non-Https Image Link
I have today off so I stayed up ***really**late last night/early this morning working on a costume for a show and slept in today. That's where I've been.Now, I feel the need to explain a few things. Bear with me, you all know by now I can be wordy.1. I am a professional performer, not just with fire. I have been acting, singing, dancing for 11 years off and on. Fire is the niche I found to incorporate into all of that.2. I concider myself a crappy to moderate spinner.3. I suffer horrendous stage fright until I get into character on a stage. Because of that I had to create stage personalities, even when I do fire. NYC can verify, "Pele" is very different than "Lynnie".4. I get nervous spinning for fun in front of other firies. And during those times, I can lose myself in that little trance place because it is for fun, but only if my nerves don't get the better of me.5. When I say perform, I mean costumes, lighting, set music, possibly routined out, can't lose yourself in the spin because the audience is there and must make good eye contact with them to keep them fully engaged, up on a stage type things. I think that spinning for other spinners in this capacity is even more terrifying, because I can't loose myself in that void-like place.6. Believe it or not, I am really shy at first by nature and it takes me a bit to warm up to people. NYC and Nomad can verify that. When I went to the East Coast Gathering and met with about 15 other spinners last year, and when I went to NYC to meet with other spinners I pretty much hid and didn't say anything at first, nor did I spin alot. When I did, I spun either in the back of everyone or...and I was yelled at for this...I didn't tell anyone I was going to spin and I went into a little corner of the world and did my thing. By the time people realised I was there, I was pretty much done. Or I just messed up.I have no doubts this convention will be the same for me. I started it thinking it would be good for everyone, not thinking I would have to spin. In fact, I kind of hoped I would be caught up organizing so much that I could get away with watching and not doing.Sounds funny huh? Maybe I'll get more comfortable by then, who knows.7. (is that the right #?) I don't take compliments well. I never know how to respond. I smile, nod and thank graciously. PWB is trying to teach me how to take them better.8. I am so extremely self-concious. I personally think I myself am not much to look at (see mugshot gallery for reference, PWB put one up in there). So, if I am even a moderate spinner and not much on the eyes then who the hell that knows what they are doing would want to watch me? That is the mind-set at least.Anyway, you have all raised very good points and have given me much to think about.Cass, I will be right there next to you watching!
Non-Https Image Link
I *will* be there (which is a step up from two months ago whenI figured I'd help plan but not go). However, I have never been one to turn down some fire breathing or eating and such...so expect that at least!Oh, and we are hoping to have at the convention 2 exhibition stages. We aren't sure how they will work but they will be for everyone and most likely will not allow fire (too much liability and fuel issues and such). However, fire it up we say at all the night and weekday things! We are still hammering out all the details, but there will be a place for people to sign up and jump on a side stage and strut their stuff.Thanks to everyone for the support...and Nix, that isn't fair! Blackmail will not work, mainly because I know you are too interested to not go, regardless of whether or not I spin!
Non-Https Image Link
AND...I am still interested in hearing what others have to say as well.Many hugs------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...http://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Delete

Ignis Devoco

Total posts: 67
Posted:Pele,I don't think you have anything to be afraid of...as a professional performer I would much rather watch someone who put a lot of time and effort into creating their character and costume and makeup who may not be the best spinner than some one who is wearing jeans and a t-shirt standing their doing all the "neat" tricks...I think most people would agree.... I am not going to pay to see the kids down at the beach in their shorts spin but I would pay to see Ms. Pele Renassiance (probably crucifying that word) strut her fine self in a beautiful costume working with fire!! Like myself you have probably spent countless hours on costumes and character development not just toy skills...You have probably perfected the eye contact that draws your audience into the action. Forget the people standing there supposably critiqueing your every move... Frankly watching someone spin without the added magic of a stage or character work is boring and my fellow fire professional you are not boring!! Infact I am almost positive that your show is exceptional!!DOnia LoveIgnis Devoco Industrial Fire Circuswww.ignisdevoco.com"Where there is sorrow, I seek the flame."Rumi

Delete

SickpuPpy

SickpuPpy

Ninja Rockstar!

Total posts: 1100
Posted:I'm with Cantus. I don't spin with the intention to perform. I did at the beginning, but after my first (and last) performance, I changed my attitude about the whole thing. Now I spin for me and me alone. And untill Burning man comes up I probobly won't spin in front of anyone but my friends that also spin. Of couse Neph can be very persuasive at times and she seems to know exactly how to stroke my ego, she may be able to coax me into performing again, but she'll definitely have to work at it.For me spinning has become an artful extension of my martial arts training, and martial arts has always been a deeply spiritual experiance for me. When I spin I feel healthier, more focused, more grounded, and more prepared to deal with the bull shit that the world likes to throw around. I feel at peace when I do it and I don't really feel the need to show that off to anyone anymore, let alone a room full of people that I neither know or care about.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

Delete

Hitokage
SILVER Member since Oct 2001

Total posts: 70
Posted:I'm stuck in both worlds. One the one hand, I definitely spin for myself. On the other, I'm going to be a professional actor later in my life (no joke!
Non-Https Image Link
). With that aspect, I can't get enough applause, nor be out of the center of attention. It's annoying sometimes. However, back to the main question, I think that I would have no problem spinning in front of any of you. I'm not quite sure why. When "performing" informally on the piano or sining in front of family and friends, I'm extremely shy. This isn't because they will "rip-up my performance", I just am. I can only comfortable perform these sort of things on stage. With staff and poi, though, I think I'd be fine. Maybe it's becuase it's such a big deal to get everything ready for a fire performance, it's like setting up for a stage performance. Who knows.------------------"Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form." -Hitokage---FireStorm---(jimidawg@snet.net)

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form. -Hitokage-

Delete

Katinca

Katinca

See my vest.... see my vest...

Total posts: 693
Posted:Thats a really interesting Question Pele,I guess I vary between two states of mind. I have been totally intimidated by other fireies and have almost refused to twirl. If I do twirl when I am in one of these states on mind, then my style is quite rigid and my moves are a bit clunky and I look worried and nervous.Then on the other side of the Rock, I can be totally happy and content with myself and my surroundings and my audience. Whether it be spinners or not. On these occasions I usually do my best performance. When I am in a positive mind set, instead of OH MY GOD everyone is watching me, hell, crap. I am crap, I am going to fuck up. I try and think, ok I am stepping onto a stage, breathe deeply, relax, chill and be beautiful, calm, graceful, fluid and sexy. I try and trance a bit, but not so much that I loose my shit, which happens occasionally. I try to feel the paths of the poi and follow them. Exaggerate my body movements to enhance fluidity etc.. On the occasions where I am in this mind set, I have received the most amazing compliments from some of the most experienced twirlers in Australia. And that gives me warm fuzzies. I have to say, I think I would prefer an educated crowd, that way when you finish they can give you an opinion on what looks good and what doesnt look that good. And how to improve your moves, or help you to learn other moves that would match in with your set.Going to the next question, when I watch other spinners, even if they have just started, I enjoy watching them and their style. And I really like watching the look on their faces when they get a move. I also have to say sometimes its the people who have only been spinning for a month or dont spin that often, that are able to come up with the most amazing moves that you never thought of. I dont think you have anything to worry about Pele. The people who are at the convention are at a majority going to be spinners. However, I would have to say that 99.9% of them will not be the show off, I shit all over everyone, cant get my head out the door spinner they will be spinners that appreciate peoples style and culture when it comes to spinning. I think would all get a kick out of seeing you spin and I am sure you can teach most of us a few tricks of the trade when it comes to performances.Love and Light------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Delete

Cantus
SILVER Member since Jul 2001

Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity

Total posts: 15965
Posted:I have spun in front of Kato, Marlboro, Tempest and a few other fellow HOP mates. At first I was supremely nervous. Made quite a few mistakes at first (not helped by someone, who shall remain nameless, tutting and putting me off) dropped the staffs quite often. But relaxed into it as i went on. I found the nervousness subsides quite quickly once I got lost in the spin. I was dreadful and i couldn't remember any moves aside from a few. But it was quite good once I relaxed.By the way. Kato is an extremely accomplished spinner and (if he's going to the gathering) should most definitely be encouraged to perform.At least I think so anyway------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

"I'll carry this....It's harder to spill a hat" - Chellybean
"...like a rabbit caught in a lighthouse?" - Chellybean

Delete

Bendy

Total posts: 750
Posted:Pele - I would like to see you spin the way you want to spin. With regard to the performance side I think the costume, theme part is great, but as a fellow twirler, I would feel that I am "getting my money's worth" watching you twirl if you were doing what you felt like doing and not bogging yourself into a routine that you don't feel comfortable doing.I remember a discussion about twirling professionally being different to twirling as a hobby. I think this could be a good opportunity for all those who perform professionally to have an appreciative audience, performance atmosphere, in which they can do whatever they choose without having to please anyone but themselves.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Delete

Cassandra

Cassandra

Froggie ... Ribbit !!!

Total posts: 4224
Posted:And WE WANT TO SEE .... THE KNEE THING, Pele !!!!!!
Non-Https Image Link
shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Delete

fluffy napalm fairy

fluffy napalm fairy

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3638
Posted:I've not seen anyone on this site spin and neither have they seen me. I'm hoping to go to the Gathering and would love to see you all relaxed and comfortable and spinning in the ways you love.This thread's been really encouraging for a beginner as it seems nearly everyone is pretty positive towards others who are willing to learn, experiment, give it a go and have some fun, regardless of their ability. I don't think anyone (especially not you pro's) should be put off performing in front of other spinners as their performance will always be appreciated by those who matter - the people who have a real love of this amazing art.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Delete

Mushinkato

Posted:Just a quickie... Pele.. could have sworn you lived in NZ (silly me
Non-Https Image Link
) ..sorryJust wanted to say how much joy this thread has given me. I have received an overwhelming sense of 'warm fuzzies' (to quote Katinca) from reading all the replies.Cantus my good man.. thankyou for the big-up.. honestly.. you're making me blush in front of all these peeps !!ps: Pele.. I think I might start saving now to join you in NZ (where you dont live..
Non-Https Image Link
)------------------Kato

Kato

Delete

nomad
BRONZE Member since Jan 2001

nomad

retired

Total posts: 356
Posted:First of all Pele, what's up with the title of this thread????I will confirm that Miss Pele is shy and self-conscious. It only makes her more likeable
Non-Https Image Link
My attitude regarding everything discussed in this thread has changed over time. When i first met Pele and other Northeast US fire people (Protozoa, PJ, Peregrine, etc.), I was very shy to spin in front of them because i was fairly new to the fire aspect of poi and thought i pretty much sucked (looking back, well, i REALLY did suck). As i was learning more and improving, i was getting more and more confident and thought less and less that i sucked, which in turn made it a lot easier to spin in front of fellow fire spinners. Doing it in front of an "undeducated" audience is no problem now, even a pretty large crowd like at a recent new year's eve gig. What helps me build the confidence level to do it is thinking (i know this might sound arrogant) "you can't do that, can you? So why should i worry about being looked at funny?". Spinning in front of an "educated" crowd is more of a thrill and i'll be more apprehensive to do so. However, like other people mentionned, I love to do so because i'll get constructive criticism and a very good analysis of what i do. I'm not worried about spinning in front of someone who is much more experienced/better than me, because i truly think everyone has their own style and can bring something to the plate, so i think (humbly) that even someone who's excellent could enjoy my own style.I met Josh and Katinca at Burning Man. Josh (i didn't know it was him yet) came to me after seeing me spin and complimented, and after that only i found out it was [Josh], the guy from HOP. I saw him spin and was impressed by his technique and I loved Katinca's style. I think they enjoyed watch me too. So it was basically the three of us enjoying each other, and that was as good of a feeling as spinning in front of 100 people that are clueless about fire arts.Great thread Pele.Nomad

Delete

Page: 12