Forums > Social Chat > gettin' over the fear of the dreadful BEAMING POI!

Login/Join to Participate

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
Yeah so after knocking myself out with my beaming poi new years eve, I was a little apprehensive about trying to do the alternate butterfly combo thing ever again. I could always do it perfectly with glowsticks and tennis balls, but I had never tried it with the beamers. So my first time ever trying it, I actually hit my head so hard that I knocked myself out.Today, I decided to pick up the poi again and master the move.. I'm proud to say that I mastered the combo and it looks really cool in the dark. Even though my head still hurts a lot, if you keep telling yourself that you are unlikely to actually KILL yourself with beaming poi, you can accomplish anything smileThats my story that I thought I would share. smile

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
If its any consolation to you Welcome Matt.. I think my mate PK (aka vain-ego pk)managed to break his shnozz with a pair !! Well done with the moves, by the way ! Persistance pays!!ps: never ever EVER hit yourself in the iccletests with them if you ever want little mini-Welcome Matts one day !! shocked------------------Kato

Kato

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Here's a hint to prevent knocking yourself out - spin slowly! The number of people who spin only at a million mph is astounding! Spinning slowly means you can think about a move more and it will hurt less. This is espically important with new moves or hard poi!

joshiemember
1 post

Posted:
That sounds like a harsh wake up call on the noggin.Having never had my hands on a pair of beaming poi, I have to ask, why is it that they hurt so much? Are they really dense? Am I being really dense? What are they made of?

Scootmember
28 posts

Posted:
Beaming poi are made of hard plastic, and have to use 2 AA batteries to run the LED lights in it. So, with the weight of the batteries, and electric parts inside, mixed with the hard plastic shell, these balls can really hurt like hell to get hit with. The second night I had mine, I did... something... wrong, I dont remember what, but I got hit in the back of the head with one of my poi, and it really hurt, i decided to put them down, just for the night, and was back out again the next night, and I still have yet to have hit myself as bad as I did that night. smile Once your good enough at poi, or feel your good enough, I suggest getting a pair, they are really cool. Scoot

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Here's an idea. How about getting some thin strips of foam and placing a couple of circles of this around the beaming poi. Then when you do hit yourself there's a good chance the foam will absorb at least some of the impact.

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
yep is it any wonder that poi were originally used four at a time as weapons? i know ive had a few nasty beanings in my day!!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
my beaming poi arnt poi that i would normaly use, ever since my accident with them where i quote "broke my schnozz as kato put it"! do still use them though but being very weary and over cautious..nice slow spins now adays gringimme fire poi anydaypk

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
I lost my training poi somewhere along the way so now I am trying to learn the BTB weave with my beaming poi. I took the batteries out to practice with cause they are a lot lighter...

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
i think its a credit to how cool poi are that we all get hurt often and occaisionally reasonably nastily, yet we still keep on coming backwhy?years down the track im still learning things with the poi i would've never guessed at when i started. i think thats part of the draw for me, you never know in what ways youre going to contort your body and get a poi slammin into youre face!!

Skeksmember
11 posts

Posted:
I bought 6 of those bike lights from Wal-Mart (They have 5 LEDs in a row, reflective cover. Each one takes 2 AAs). I taped 3 together back to back and spun those (before I knew about beaming poi). And for some reason, the beaming poi still seem to hurt more...------------------!You've just been Skeked!

!You've just been Skeked!