Forums > Social Chat > When Jehovas Witnesses Knock...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i would like to start with that i dont mean offence to anyone who is a jehovas witness or mormon. to be honest i actually think they have a lot of guts to do what they do!

but i had a visit from 2 today. the first ive had in years. and of course now that they've left i think of all the smart-ass questions.

but to start off with my bloody dog! she's big. and usually she growls when people come at the door (cos she's a cowardly thing!)....and guess what! the JWs arrive and she decides to just pace the hallway!
so i was poilte at first...said i didnt believe in god, believed in evolution (she found it difficult to believe in evolution! and creationism isnt more hard to believe??!!) then i asked why they didnt take blood transfusions...that was more like it! things got more interesting!

but of course i thort of all the other really good questions once the door was shut...the reason they dont take blood is cos it says so in the bible...but in the bible it says "thou shall consume the herb of the land" which is the rastafarians excuse for the pot smoking...so i should have asked about that! ubblol

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

joe_sixstepsmULti-torTOISe
310 posts
Location: Kent currently, Cornwall soon, New Zealand eventua...

Posted:
Quote:

I mean doing drugs is fine if you're not hurting anyone

Wow! That's quite a change of stance from when I first logged onto this board.

Back on topic, I really like JWs. I've never had a problem with asking them to leave, and when I do feel like talking they are generally prepared to go as far as any one of the many dead ends that religious debates always come to. Just like telemarketers, it can be annoying when you're asleep, or in another part of the house or something, and I would prefer it if they waited to be approached by people who wanted to know about their beliefs instead of pushing them onto other people... but look at it from their perspective for a minute:

If you really, truly believed that you knew the only way to heaven, and that everyone who didn't follow that way was going to be tortured in fire for the rest of eternity... wouldn't you try and get people to follow your way? I am a total atheist, but one thing I think about religion these days is how strange it is that people are embarrassed to bring it up - it's as though it's a faux pas to mention religion. That's such a shame. Our beliefs about the big questions of existence form the foundation to so many aspects of our personalities - discussing someones beliefs with them is always interesting.

I have much less sympathy for the telemarketers. We only ever seem to get calls from people who want us to buy a conservatory, and I always chat away to them quite happily:
"Will it deflect Upsilon waves? I'm very worried about Upsilon waves."
"Er... I'll just have to check that with my supervisor..."
"Certainly. I don't mind waiting..."

tongue

The Confusion Squid has many tentacles

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
haha, no Joe, I don't think that doing drugs is fine, I was using it as an example of the hipocritical nature some here are blind to. But I do enjoy your jest with the telemarketers. For once we see eye to eye on something, and I am speaking of the JWs.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i love telemarketers who dont actually know anything about the product they're selling! SO funny!

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
This thread is still making me giggle.

How I love living on a big hill. We get doorknocked once a year if we're (un)lucky.

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

Curly_SueSILVER Member
laughter is the way to get through life
179 posts

Posted:
What swines - because it says so in the bible, well you wouldn't believe everything you read in the paper would you. ha ha how stupid must you be. But I tell you if one of there kids needed a blood transfusion they would take it no bother.

I don't get any bother from them cos I put a please give blood sticker on the door. ha ha just brings in the vampires but they are better craic anyway.

I fell down a hill once, got up then fell down it again.

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't go as far as to call them swines- They follow their beliefs, and it's not up to us to judge them for that. While I don't agree with their religion (and I intensely dislike having someone trying to convert me, whatever religion it may be), what gives us the right to judge them for it and insult them?

I have done nursing, and as a result seen many Jehovas Witnesses, and mormons in general, refuse blood transfusion, even when it puts their recovery and sometimes lives in jepordy. So to claim that they would "take it no bother" is grossly mis-represented.

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

Curly_SueSILVER Member
179 posts

Posted:
ooooops I just used to get cranky when they would get me out of my bed early on the weekend. hehe

MagsKatBRONZE Member
Don't feed her cookies
113 posts

Posted:
I have about 20 of them (JW) living at the of my road, it's annoying. When my gran was still alive she would have to get up and answer the door to them everything.. which i feel is rude on their part.

If i feel the need for a religon then i will seek it out, you do not have to come find me!

Not So long ago i was in town ( i live in what can be described a yob/ chav central) and low and behod we had a muslim group trying to do a mass conversion RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF TOWN!

HC's are always wandering round town and they smell awful..

I don't care who you worship as long as you are clean, and you keep your religious views to yourself smile

Formally known as kat224

We are not friends.. we never were.. but if i was part of your life then i thank you

MagsKatBRONZE Member
Don't feed her cookies
113 posts

Posted:
Oh and my favorite 'have you found God?' reply is...
'No, i didn't know he was missing. But when you find him can you ask him to bring sexy back!'

Formally known as kat224

We are not friends.. we never were.. but if i was part of your life then i thank you

Curly_SueSILVER Member
179 posts

Posted:
 Written by: kat224

Oh and my favorite 'have you found God?' reply is...
'No, i didn't know he was missing. But when you find him can you ask him to bring sexy back!'

Ha ha I will have to remember that if they ever come a knocking. I always answer the door and you can't help being nice cos all of the JWs that stay round my area have a little trick of taking cute little children carrying flowers with them.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
my friend asked who built the city of Nod Kane was banished to for killing able..

I normally stick to saying I don't join cults unless they feed me some freaky punch and ask me to take off all my clothes biggrin (Bless biodome for that ubblol )

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I probably said it earlier, but I can't respect a religion which condones the murder of innocent children.

Yes, I consider the refusal of life-saving blood-transfusions for children murder, and the state has every right to take the child away from the abusive parents.

Curly_SueSILVER Member
179 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

I probably said it earlier, but I can't respect a religion which condones the murder of innocent children.

Yes, I consider the refusal of life-saving blood-transfusions for children murder, and the state has every right to take the child away from the abusive parents.

Good call. peace

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Damn this thread had some serious beef in it!

I've never been hit by the JWs, but when I was at my induction week for uni, these two friendly guys came over and introduce themselves to me.

Which was pretty nice. I'm pretty shy, and uni is massive so I was well nervous, so I instantly tried to get on with them.

They asked my name, asked what I was doing (I was reading and listening to some tunes). I discovered one of them liked the offspring... which was ace.

Then they asked if I was interested in joining a society. A bible one.

I was like "Nah, not really my scene. I'm an atheist."

Completley unphased by this, they carried on. They asked if any evidence was presented to me, would I change my mind.

So I told them that if J to the C or even the Big G Man himself were to grab me by the neck and go "I'm real, moron" I'd probably change my mind.

So they said that they had some evidence for me. They handed me some pieces of paper.

On it were quotes. From the Bible. Laaaaaaaaame!

I laughed and told 'em to bugger off.

Job done. smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Curly_SueSILVER Member
179 posts

Posted:
Ha ha yea I had that done to me . it is classic no proof there at all. If that is all that got them into it then they must be well gullible. weavesmiley

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
What really stunned me was that I had said "If there was some real empirical evidence, I'd change my mind. But not like... anything from the bible... I mean, I've read it, and it doesn't come anywhere near close to convincing me."

"We have some evidence"

"Oh sweet. Lemme see... Uhu... Quotes.. from the bible..."

"Yeah, these are good. Lemme just put my number down so you can call us and let us know what you think."

"Oh yeah, I'll totally give you a ring."

*Burns paper. Uses it to light cig*

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
i dont mind them talking....just not at me. i once closed the door on a group of them and they just kept going and shouted through the doors at me instead. very rude me thinks...

if i could be a busy busy bee...

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

A friend of mine who grew up Jewish in Salt Lake City once answered the door to two LDS (Latter Day Saints/Mormon) missionaries wearing nothing but a towel.

Since they are supposed to keep their minds pure for the two years of their mission, they both turned heel and RAN. ubblol

A friend of mine did one better. He was lounging about in his bathrobe when they came to the door. He asked that they hold on while he got some clothes on. Then he closed the door, took off the bathrobe, waited a minute, then opened it again stark naked. The locked eye contact and got through their entire speech before getting out of there very quickly.

The next year they came back and he was a bit at a loss as to how he could possibly harass them worse.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
We met some mormons in Japan. We taught them how to play cricket and we even got them to admit that they liked it more than baseball! ubbrollsmile

*does the 'i converted a mormon' dance*

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
My parent's zoo is evolution themed, and just down the road from the local Kingdom Hall..

I can cope with it at home, I can say what I want, and shut the door when I want, but behind the counter in the entrance/shop, when they won't go away, and get in the way of other customers.. and you can't shout at them because there are customers with kids present..
mad2

Mind you, we got way beyond the leaflets- they were actually leaving leather-bound books for a while.. but I think they've given up now.. after 15 years..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Round my way all of the door knockers are little old ladys and young children.

I'm an evil sod at time so if the JoHo's knock on my door I attempt to convet them to a differnt religion.

I allways keep my manners about me because it's more fun to scare them away when you are being nice to them.

I converted to Paganism a few year ago (as it feels more natural to me) and I just so happen to have a book case with pagan books in very close proximity to my front door smile

From this bookcase I will grab any book with a big pentagram on the front cover and I will invite them in for a chat about religion and a cup of tea.

The book trick offten scares them away but I did have one couple that came in, 2 little old ladys.

I had to laugh coz my lounge looks like halloween all year round and the look of terror as the little old ladys ran (or a very brisk hobble) from my door is somewhat amusing.

* this thread really belongs in the social discusion forum*

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

Curly_SueSILVER Member
179 posts

Posted:
 Written by: dizzypheonix

Round my way all of the door knockers are little old ladys and young children.

I'm an evil sod at time so if the JoHo's knock on my door I attempt to convet them to a differnt religion.

I allways keep my manners about me because it's more fun to scare them away when you are being nice to them.

I converted to Paganism a few year ago (as it feels more natural to me) and I just so happen to have a book case with pagan books in very close proximity to my front door smile

From this bookcase I will grab any book with a big pentagram on the front cover and I will invite them in for a chat about religion and a cup of tea.

The book trick offten scares them away but I did have one couple that came in, 2 little old ladys.

I had to laugh coz my lounge looks like halloween all year round and the look of terror as the little old ladys ran (or a very brisk hobble) from my door is somewhat amusing.

* this thread really belongs in the social discusion forum*

Ha ha must invest in a pagan book after all they are a very good class of people and it seems soo much more natural, something you would think that a god would actually want. angelblue Oh yea and they don't tent to come a knocking.
EDITED_BY: laurs_chalmers (1193686687)

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
What would happen if pagan's did start door knocking for their beliefs like the JoHo's do?

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
I really want to do that someday.. Print out a 'Your local Satanist Community welcomes you' leaflet- stick it under people's doors, inviting them to a fictional meeting, with 'bring a chicken or goat, and a sharp knife. Or a cake.' on the end.. Then hide over the road and see who shows.. wink

And yes, I do know the difference between Paganism and Satanism, before people start objecting.. I just enjoy winding people up..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Curly_SueSILVER Member
179 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Hanz

What would happen if pagan's did start door knocking for their beliefs like the JoHo's do?

I would have to welcom them in, get more sence out of a pagan that you do me somedays. can't say the same for the JWs ubbloco

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So the newest trick:

Jehova's Witnesses Spanish Harlem Style!

Same claptrap, same annoying door-pounding, same insipid flyers.

But in Spanish!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

TinyPixieSILVER Member
enthusiast
394 posts

Posted:
Maybe accompanied by some reggaeton?

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Put on a card beneath your doorbell:

READ BEFORE PRESSING BUTTON OR KNOCKING ON DOOR.

By pressing this button or knocking on this door you confirm that you are either:

Not here to preach any religion, sell or otherwise advertise any product or service, or to gain support for any political party or candidate.

or:

Here to receive a bucket of water full in the face.

If anyone unwanted turns up, just go and fill a bucket of water.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: polarity

Put on a card beneath your doorbell:

READ BEFORE PRESSING BUTTON OR KNOCKING ON DOOR.

By pressing this button or knocking on this door you confirm that you are either:

Not here to preach any religion, sell or otherwise advertise any product or service, or to gain support for any political party or candidate.

or:

Here to receive a bucket of water full in the face.

ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Page: