Forums > Help! > First Lighting of Fire Poi

Login/Join to Participate

SpiritDancermember
6 posts

Posted:
So, before I light up for the first time...

Is there a proper way to break-in new Kevlar wicks?

Saw something in the HOP FAQ's about soaking overnight, then lighting three times and extinguishing with a damp towel... but the info was kinda vague. I want to treat my new toy with TLC so any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance. -- Dave Barry

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
er.

i've never ever had a problem with just dipping my toys just slightly longer than normal and going ahead and burning as per usual, maybe putting them out slightly early.

the most important thing is that you redip pretty much straight away to stop your wicks smouldering, but then if you want to be handing out tlc to your toys you should do that after every burn anyway.......

hope this helps

R smile

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
and i forgot to say two things..:

1. make sure you are safe! i'e have someone there to look out for you, and a towel or sth...

and
2. have a great time biggrin

R

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Dip them until the bubbles stop and be very careful to spin off the excess, other than that nothing special, though if you want to do stuff with coloured flame don't burn kero first as it takes forever to get the residue out.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

dj_gooseSunburnt Bournda Beach Bum
157 posts

Posted:
u could also try doing a search on the subject, every person has different ideas about what u can and should do and in the end it is up to u to decide which way u thik works best...there are also heaps of threads on safety for your first time so i wold recommend that u read one or two

cheers beerchug

Look to the moon, look to the stars, and if you still can't find happyness...find a bar!!!

SpiritDancermember
6 posts

Posted:
I've been doing a bunch of reading on the safety aspect. So, I promise that I'll avoid becoming a human torch. Thanks for the concern.

It has been a fascinating 4 week journey learning to spin. At first, the thought of spinning with fire was the big draw. Once the art form became more familiar I can honestly say that I'm loving spinning without fire. Fire may become the icing on the cake, but it's not the cake.

Nice to become a new spinner and a new HOP'er. ubbloco

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Saw something in the HOP FAQ's about soaking overnight, then lighting three times and extinguishing with a damp towel

to get the best life out of your wicks, before your first burn you should climb to the top of the nearest hill, there you will find a key at sunset. Use the key to open the box to find the scroll. That is when you should dunk your wicks. Do not take them out till you have used the scroll to find the towel. Then, you must light the wicks, keep them lit for the amount of time found by the formula age in years * seconds, put them out with the towel and repeat the process depending on the number of steps you took between the key and the towel, divided by PI and multiplied by 65.4. Upon completion you must plant an apple tree, and sing kumbyah. Until the tree first bears fruit must you not use your firepoi again, or grave things will happen to your family! Elves will enslave your first born, and monkeys will eat all your apple tree's apples!

Or as bluecat says, just dunk them for a bit longer and make sure you put them out before they go out naturally, soaking again to stop smoldering. I never did go in for the mumbojumbo internet wick breaking in ritual, i reckon the person who made it up just wanted a laugh. rolleyes Did someone say icing? biggrin

SpiritDancermember
6 posts

Posted:
Flid~

Is that sunset New Zealand time or my local time?

I really don't want to screw up the ritual, as I am terrified of monkeys and I really love apples. Please reply soon!

Kevin

FyreFlyemember
26 posts

Posted:
My first pair, I just soaked them overnight and then lit them up. I was so exicted to burn, I forgot the whole light 3 times thing.

My 2nd pair. I soaked overnight, and lit 3 times.

I see no real difference...

Yesterday I thought I could not.
Today I am certain I can.

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Precisely, I saw the same no difference too. At the time I should have been studying grammar as you can see.
Think about staffies? Standing there overnight, then switching ends and standing for another night? Methinks's not. Dunk, no bubbles, shake, burn.
I personally loved that rocket sound the most on my first burn. I love to watch the light change on peoples faces as they twirl.
Have to go now...

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Flid, thanx - that made me laugh lots ubblol ubblol ubblol

So much fire, so little body hair...

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Quote:

[i[Originally posted by audax
I personally loved that rocket sound the most on my first burn.

Most definately!!! That was the coolest part. I had only seen fire poi done in the vicinity of loud music, so I had never heard what it sounds like. First time me and my buddy (who spins staff) lit up, we were amazed at the rocket blast off sound.

On topic though, I didn't do anything special with my wicks, just let them sit for like 5 or 10 minutes, I don't remember. I set them to soak, and then did something else, then came back and lit up. I haven't noticed anything bad from not breaking them in any special way. They're about 8 months old now, and still have big flames and long burns. I burn pretty regularly too, so even though I don't have a burn count, I know they have a few miles on them.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

inertiaBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
on the topic of first burns and the like (since i be quite the n00b also)...

is it best to just leave your wicks as-is after youve burned em...or are you better to re-soak them straight after and then store them away or woteva till the next burn?

p.s sorry if this is one of those really obivous questions....just somethin i was bit unsure about confused

thanx hug

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
When I had my first burn, the unexpected roar fo the flames gave me such a fright I dropped the staff and ran away!

(I did return a few seconds later)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
Quote:

on the topic of first burns and the like (since i be quite the n00b also)...

is it best to just leave your wicks as-is after youve burned em...or are you better to re-soak them straight after and then store them away or woteva till the next burn?

p.s sorry if this is one of those really obivous questions....just somethin i was bit unsure about confused

thanx hug

er. either or really.

redip them: slightly longer wick life
don't redip them: clean smelling bag/car!

hehe smile