Forums > Social Chat > giving poi a bad name!!

Login/Join to Participate

DIANNAmember
55 posts

Posted:
mad ok i was surfing the web and i came accross an anti-poi site if you don't think im right here it is www.lpbk.net it says its a joke but most of us here would find it very stupid or what ever...... madeven though it says it a joke i guess there will be people that make fun of and joke about our sport hobby (exc)but the real question is can they do poi or staff?[This message has been edited by DIANNA (edited 06 January 2002).]

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Errrr - where? Can't find nowt about Poi...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DIANNAmember
55 posts

Posted:
i can't find the site

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Here's a link to one of the discussions had a long time ago about one of the few "Leagues Against Poi".https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000389.htmlMy understanding is that there are also some cultural groups who do not respect what we do because they see it as a bastardization of their customs, but I don't think they have a coallition and I don't think any of these people are worth losing a breath over.It's all opinion. ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DIANNAmember
55 posts

Posted:
yea your right................. [This message has been edited by DIANNA (edited 06 January 2002).]

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
I looked up the sight and it stats that it is a joke. It's my understanding that some jugglers don't like poi. It's the same type thing between skiers and snowboarders. They are two differnet sports that share alot of common ground. Nowhere in the articals do they mention poiers bastardizing anyones customs. They're just stating that jugglers and poiers don't mix. IMHO- They mix just fine. But I do understand thier piont.------------------Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with "normal" people.

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
If people want to trash on poi, and start little anti-poi coalitions, I say let them. It will only make poi more popular in the end. The same thing happend to KISS, but look they're still touring and selling out stadiums. Persicution is one of the greatest things that can happen to art, it is the great purifier. It seperates the posers from those who truly love it, and thusly making it stronger.So I say bring it on!------------------If you love something, set it on fire.[This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 06 January 2002).]

Jesus helps me trick people.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
*states her complete agreement with Mr.Puppy*

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Neph23BRONZE Member
62 posts

Posted:
*states her complete agreement with Ros, who in turn is agreeing with Sick* grin

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
wink grin

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Didn't KISS come to an end last year?

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

PsylentzSILVER Member
72 posts

Posted:
KISS has been ending for SEVERAL years... but anyway - yo-yoists get the same shyte - seeing yo yo is based off of the same old weapons - and the original yo yo was from china and only used by kings and stuff - i guess it's still considered "royal" OH YAH AND ANOTHER THING i'm tired of getting guff from the damned majorettes in my area. Let's see them pull of xaeda's superstarwarscomboknockyourselfinthebackofthehead move! Well that's what i refer to it as anyway ;-)------------------~ Tiger, Tiger, burning bright... ~

"The Q is talkin' to me!!!"

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Psylentz, are you refering to to reverse jedi-inverse ewok move? Or that crazy under the leg over the shoulder wrap?

Jesus helps me trick people.

DIANNAmember
55 posts

Posted:
oh well........................

dizzymember
43 posts

Posted:
hey a jokes a joke don't take it so seresley!Take it easy ! Dizz[This message has been edited by dizzy (edited 10 January 2002).]

sandmanmember
65 posts

Posted:
Ha! Just checked out the site, I think it's a bloody good laugh!

SoFlamember
2 posts

Posted:
Before you read this...know this...I'm not mad, I'm smiling right now.... grinRemember those kids in middle school who only had enough brains to use other people for laughs?. . . .point said. I know a few very serious jugglers that have watched me do poi and enjoyed it. IT'S NOT JUGGLING, it's different. That's probably where the conflict arises. I can do devil sticks, staff, poi, juggle, and whatever else...but poi is my favorite...so what?BOTTOM LINE: _______________________Jugglers realize that poi may be easier than SOME types of juggling, therefore, poi, as a hobby, is cluttered with poseurs and wanna-be's. So the non-poseur poi people should be able to laugh at the creation of the League Against Poi becuase even they say it a "joke" that is not to be taken to seriously. However, this particular "joke" wasn't funny. Well...jugglers aren't really known for their sense of humor anyway. But that's probably because they are "serious" artists (<----- whoa! look at all that sarcasm) I JUST MADE A JOKE!!! Let's see if the L.A.P. can laugh at that one???Peace... wink

DIANNAmember
55 posts

Posted:
first of all i'm not in middle school and 2 thing i took it as a joke i just wanted to post this (it was funny) so let's just forget about it ok?? nothing more to say________________________

SoFlamember
2 posts

Posted:
Whoa!!Dianna, I wasn't talking about you and I wasn't saying the you are in middle school or have any such affiliation wink . If you read the first line of my reply I said... "I'm not mad, I'm smiling right now.... grin " I thought it was funny too, just not very funny. It was about a 2 on the humor scale of 10. Now c'mon, give me a hug P.S. The fact that I didn't think it was funny had nothing to do with the fact that I like poi....I simply just didn't get a laugh, it was dumb and dorky. Not that being dorky is bad or anything, it's just that dorky jokes aren't funny...see? And just to reiterate, these comments have no direction towards anyone here...unless you're a L.A.P. dork.[This message has been edited by SoFla (edited 10 January 2002).]

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
SoFla, I have a non-comparable humour scale. For example something that I find funny might score a 4, whereas something less funny might get a 6 and something not at all funny might get a 3. But that said, something that I find absolutely hilarious might also get a 3. My friends don't seem to understand my scale... some do.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I've thought of a really bad name for poi:"Flargles""Just off to spin my flargles."Sorry...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude