Forums > Social Chat > The single person's thread!

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Ok, the rules for this thread are - no one gushes about how happy they are with their girlfriend or boyfriend or fiancee or whatever.

We are here because we are single - by choice or happenstance.

I personally am single right now for a variety of reasons, but mainly because I live in South Africa. AIDS is truely epidemic here, plus South African women have way more issues than I care to deal with with, so I just can't be bothered, thank you very much.

I sort had a long distance relationship going till about last June, but that got too... long distancy, I suppose. I still thinks she totally rocks, but I need to be closer to someone than an 8 hour (now 23 hour) plane ride away from them (plus she had no internet or phone where she used to live).

I've been pretty happy being single the last few months though, it is amazing how much simpler life is. It's been quality "me" time, and I needed the break I think.

Ok, that is my testamony... anyone else?

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
im single by happenings.
i was in a relationship for 15 months and he broke it off 4 months ago (4 months and one day actually ubbcrying). im still in love with him, even tho im working on that (WITHOUT help from my friends, who have walked out on me in my depression). yes, i know im pathetic, but i cant help it, pleanse dont judge me on it.
so basically i hate being single, but at the same time arent planning on remedying it any tie soon. broken hearts dont exactly want to make you open yourself up again. and besides, it wouldnt be fair on the guy if im still in love with my ex.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Ooo... yeah, I can relate to that one. That was me last July or so, except it's not quite like I got dumped (we both sort of threw in the towel because of the distance and difficulty in communicating - it took over a month for mail to go one way, and like I said, no internet or phone - she was in the peace corps). Still, I was quite a mess for a couple of months. I've been working hard on getting over her so when the next time comes, I'll be able to give the person what they deserve.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i replied to this before but it didnt work! :S

is it likely that you will be able to move to the same place again? if that happened would you give it another try?

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
ok i'm technically single so i'm gonna post here. mad hehe.

back in may i broke off my engagement. he and i went back and forth (sort of) up until about a month and a half ago when he cut off not only our attempt at getting back together, but also our friendship. (some of you may recall the story). he still does a pretty decent job at making me miserable the few times he decides to contact me, and yet i still don't have the strength to cut him out of my life entirely. frown

i am trying to move on, i think fairly successfully (for the most part). yes i believe i have found someone new (i won't break the rules here and get all gushy). however, i am still single at the moment despite mutual attraction (what can i say, i have a penchant for complicated relationships).

so i think i've earned the right to bitch! biggrin

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
yes you're alowed to bitch. my ex is doing the same to me; cut off chances of it happening again, cut off friendship and makes my life miserable as a hobby.

i think complicated relationships could be good - you can still moan whinge and complain! :P

ah, the thought of staying single just gets better and better. ubbloco

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I'm single, have been for a long time and probably will be for the foreseeable future. Not because i smell funny or anything, but because I choose to be a relationship perfectionist.

Basically I'm pretty eccentric, I have lots of non mainstream interests, and have defined a lifestyle for myself which I like and enjoy living. Whilst it would be totally cool to have a relationship, companionship and someone to share my life with (I am human after all), I am willing to wait for someone really special, rather than hop from one relationship of convenience with random people to another.

In the meantime I have plenty of nice friends, hobbies i like doing and at the end of the day am emotionally secure enough to not *require* a relationship in order to feel normal and enjoy life. smile

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Im single cause im too much of a sinic and most girls have been a dissapointment.
Amongst other things at least i know why pounce has been living on hop now .

Im not giving up im just waiting for the wright girl .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Amongst other things at least i know why pounce has been living on hop now

can i move in too? i promise i wont have too many parties til too late at night!

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
i don't live on here!

ok, i just can't say that with a straight face. **giggles**

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Ohh...I'm sinlge now too...Of course, I'm happy that way at the moment. It gives me a chance to figure out what I want to do with my life, who I really am, who I want to be, and to pick up cool new hobbies like quilting...

I seem to get annoyed with guys I date really easily these days anyway. I think I need someone who is very independent and already has his own set of friends which he actually likes. Clingy guys suck in my opinion, and I'm not thrilled when they completely infiltrate my life when we've only been dating for a month...

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Yes Rougue Dragon as long as long you have cool partie's .

Here's a Quote from the twelth night *(William .S )* that i try to live to

Search love is good
unsearched love is even better .

ubblove

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
It's been about three years since I had a serious, long-term relationship. I've dated and played around in the intervening time, but that's it. I have no attention span for most guys... bleh. I'll meet guys who are smart, but conservative. Or guys who are fun, but a bit dull. Or guys who match up with only one of my aspects. Or guys who are great friends, but we're not kink-compatible. Or guys who would be perfect, if they were 20 years younger and single. rolleyes Or girls who would be perfect, except they don't have enough of a sex drive for me to try making an exception for them, not that I know that that'd even work for me. Argh.

On the other hand, it's really been fun not knowing how flirting will end, and being able to have that predatory gleam mean something.

But it's been so long since I honestly really wanted someone in particular, and that worries me.

I foresee a future as an eccentric cat lady.

E pluribus unum, baby.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
woo hoo!

now who wants to come to my first party!?!???!

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
SINGLE: always has been. There have been no attempts. There are no attempts in the near furtre (that I know of)

This is by choice. Mostly, I mean, I've never been asked out, and I have NO idea what I'd say if I was asked. *shrug* I'm just The Friend. But it kinda sucks, feeling like a third wheel!

There are always those nights, where the bed is so cold, and the tebby bear ain't too comforting... But I fall asleep anywho, and wake up okay-ish.

So, I justify my being single by making myself totally un-dateable! Well, not really, but I don't think anyone can picture me (I can't picture me) in a relationship like that at all, be it girl or boy!

But, that's me right now. The Lord and Lady know I will change! Or forever hold my simgleness! WHOOOOOOOT!

*runs in circles and falls over in dizzyness*

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Quote:

like the one on the simpsons??!! ubbloco

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Quote:

There are always those nights, where the bed is so cold, and the tebby bear ain't too comforting

oh no! maybe u need a Popple! thats what i sleep with! Popples are ALWAYS comforting! (but sometimes the DO hog the blankets!)

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
oh ya, popples are way cool. but i prefer care bears myself.

**giggles**

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
I'll come to your party ?

Regyt You just need to find someone exciting and different to keep you interested .

Cheer up !

940 posts

Posted:
Oh, I'm cheerful. I love my life nowadays. Law school is ridiculous amounts of fun, I have wonderful friends, and hey, I get to spin fire about in circles of varying sizes! biggrin I just worry sometimes, is all.

But nonetheless, Puk, you're absolutely right. hug

E pluribus unum, baby.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i was never allowed to watch carebears ubbcrying

but i think they're trying to make a comeback! eek

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
never allowed to watch carebears? how deprived of a life is that??

**giggles**

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Definitely deprived...I've seen some in stores lately, so I think they are trying to come back...

As far as snuggly things, I seem to prefer stuffed elephants. Mine has a huge dent in its nose from 14 years of snuggling.

940 posts

Posted:
I snuggle with my plushie Nietzsche. (No joke.)

E pluribus unum, baby.

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
you really are a sophophiliac

**giggles**

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Basically I'm pretty eccentric, I have lots of non mainstream interests, and have defined a lifestyle for myself which I like and enjoy living. Whilst it would be totally cool to have a relationship, companionship and someone to share my life with (I am human after all), I am willing to wait for someone really special, rather than hop from one relationship of convenience with random people to another.

I hear that, but that's why true relationships are a problem, even if I do date.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I'm just The Friend. But it kinda sucks, feeling like a third wheel!

There are always those nights, where the bed is so cold, and the tebby bear ain't too comforting... But I fall asleep anywho, and wake up okay-ish

i totally no what you mean. i dont like to hug my teddy bear any more! it just reminds me that i dont have anyone real to hug, and i cant see my self having someone of my one that i really care about anytime soon. ubbcrying i have heeeeaps of guy friends, and i no that some of them do or have liked me at some stage but i had aways saw them as friends and to think of them as a partner...i dont no, it just didnt feel right! -dose anyone no what i mean?

i dont no - maybe im just really fussy. but i dont really want to go out with someone just for the sack or going out with someone. i mean i hook up in town often, (not sleeping with them just kissing) but it never goes anywhere and i dont really want many of them to. (one or two i would havent have minded just quitly) i also have quite strong morals about sex too, not -never- sleeping with people but, i want to be with a sumone for a while before, lost of guys dont get that, and i dont really blame them. its not easy!!!

but im okey with it aaall of the above. dosent really bother me to much tongue

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*

ElannaSILVER Member
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
2,293 posts

Posted:
Quote:

i have heeeeaps of guy friends, and i no that some of them do or have liked me at some stage but i had aways saw them as friends and to think of them as a partner...i dont no, it just didnt feel right! -dose anyone no what i mean?

quite. i have tons of guy friends and i can't even think about going out with them, much less doing something intimate...doesn't feel right at all!

Quote:

i dont no - maybe im just really fussy. but i dont really want to go out with someone just for the sack or going out with someone......i also have quite strong morals about sex too, not -never- sleeping with people but, i want to be with a sumone for a while before

nah, you're not that fussy...unless we're both really fussy... biggrin

and morals aren't always a bad thing....especially not that one (and this is comming from someone who's not big on morals or ethics)

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Pies Jesu Domine *whack*
Dona eis requiem *whack*

Come join us and chat - we're bored! irc.newnet.net #homeofpoi

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
yup,i'm a singleton.......

single mother,2 kids,very messy relationship with their dad,which has been hard to extricate myself from but i'm getting there,like,8 years later....i think i'm a perfectionist too now,and i really don't mind being single anymore...i had a short but wonderful relationship with someone who i was so close to,we knew each other thoughts,but he died... ubbcryingbut i've grieved and am so grateful to have known him ubbangel

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Pretty much I don't like to burden anyone with my depressive tendancys, and no one wants to be burdened with them. The last relationship I was in ended 2 summers ago, basicly because im to depressed or something.

*seething feelings of angst*

That and I think theres probably only 0.3% of the population im likely compatible with.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Regyt, that made me howl laughing! My friends have been saying for years that I'm gonna end up and eccentric old lady in a house covered in ivy, surrounded by cats, and all the neighbourhood kids will dare each other to knock at my door and run away!! ubblol

I've been single for about 2 and a half years now. I spent all of my twenties in a serious relationship that didn't work out, obviously, but I can seriously say that the past couple of years have been the best years of my life.

I've never had more passion for life, I've done more, and achieved more as an 'I' than I ever did as a "we", and to tell the truth I wouldn't have it any other way. That's not saying I wouldn't ever get involved again, if it happens it happens, but I'm not out there searching or waiting.

I find that other people have more of a problem with it though. There are a lot of people I used to mix with who are all either married with kids or living together, who I just don't see any more. If I'm invited to dinner or to a party, they always seem to over-emphasize in a patronising sort of way that I can "bring along a friend, if I'm not seeing anyone". It's like they have a problem with me turning up alone, even though I don't.

I really love my life right now ubblove

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Page: ...