pearlymember
3 posts

Posted:
hi, i live in sydney, australia and have just recently picked up an interest in poi/fire poi. i was wondering if anyone knew of any places in sydney where i could take beginner lessons or buy equipment for it? i've managed to learn a few tricks from this site alone, but i think that i would feel more confident with an instructor, especially where fire is concerned =)thanks

pearlymember
3 posts

Posted:
oh, and im also interested in staff lessons as well ^_^

emthrenmember
57 posts

Posted:
I think the Firefly's run some lessons in fire stuff, but it's at a cost. The various fire crews that meet up around Sydney are probably just as willing to teach an honest beginner for nothing but the thrill of watching someone else get a move down pat. =)Equipment can be bought from Glebe markets (though I've never personally been) or from the Rocks markets (stall under the umbrellas, about half-way along). The dude that runs it seems to be a cool guy.As for lighting up - again, the Sydney meets have safety equipment on hand, don't see anything wrong with asking for someone to spot you carefully the first few times you light up.Although granted I don't speak for everyone, people are on the whole quite friendly. Just ask. =)

cutie poi girliemember
237 posts

Posted:
hey pearly, welcome to this great art!You should really enjoy it, but first of all- shocked TREAT FIRE WITH RESPECT! shocked I can't help you with lessons but you can buy good equiptment from the HoP (home of poi)shop, its really easy to do. Good luck! smile CPG

Luv peace 'n' chicken grease Al X x

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
If you're ever in Denver.....------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

Blu'Firemember
17 posts

Posted:
I buy most of my stuff from the markets at the Rocks, so much so that I now receive a discount. smile When I was just starting with Poi, I even got the guy there to show me a few things. as for places to learn in sydney, I don't know of any. But when I was there last, I had just bought two staffs and I was walking around and 'happened' to run into a few people who firetwirl. [This message has been edited by Blu'Fire (edited 16 March 2002).]

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
emthren is right - there are lots of crews around sydney that would be willing to help out.the fireflys workshops have finished. I'm not sure if that's a permanent thing, or just until they get back from O/S.In the meantime, you're more than welcome to come down to Newtown next Wednesday night and meet our crew. smile I think you've actually already sent us an email - one of us will respond to is as soon as the chance arises.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

so_sumimember
7 posts

Posted:
I heard people in Holland don't teach you squat unless you can already do it. Then if you lucky they give you entry to their exculsive group. That sucks.

SurlochSILVER Member
64 posts

Posted:
Emthren?The same Emthren from AAW old days? Don't imagine there can be many more people with the name Emthren living in Australia can there lol. If you ever make it up Brisbane way, make sure I find out first grin(well, that's if you even remember me, been a while admittedly smile)

Ní mar a síltear a bítear

“Things may not be as they seem to be”

nexus_sunmember
47 posts

Posted:
Here's the sydey infor I have.Sydney Fireart FanaticsGlebe Point, waterside of Glebe Jubilee Park, Federal RdThursday, 830 (winter)/930 pm onwww.fireartfanatics.com The Wick EffectNewtown, Camperdown Memorial ParkWednesday, from 7.30pm Sunday, A few people also meet in St. Peters, just outside the train station, at the 3ft from the curb cafe. Monday nights the Circussoc at UNSW meets on the Library Lawn.More info: https://ccls1.cse.unsw.edu.au/~malcolmr/circusoc/index.php
 (Most) Tuesday nights a group gets together in the North Rocks/Carlingford area. Email (redpaper@hotmail.com) for more info.Nexus_sun

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
Or maybe you could just ask someone who makes their own toys to show you how they make em. That would probably stop you from getting ripped off by buying them ready made. (Personally I haven't come across a safer design than the fire sticks/poi myself and friends use ... and everything I see for sale in this area is either a rip off to me, or not as safe as I would like).A rip off *to me* is adding $15/$20+ onto the cost of materials. When they are so easy to make, and take no time at all. I wouldn't pay for it and I don't want my friends having to pay extra for it.Nothing *personal* against people who sell them at a marked up price, they could be fantastic people - it's just that I really don't agree with it.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

pearlymember
3 posts

Posted:
ooh thanks everyone for all your help. i think i'll try and get to the newtown meet within the next couple of weeks. is camperdown park near the train station btw? and what do ppl actually do at these get togethers?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
pearly - look forward to seeing you there!the park is on a road that runs parallel with King Street. It will take you between 2 & 3 minutes to walk from the station to the park smileIts called Camperdown Memorial Park and we are at the end near the Courthouse Hotel. Cos of daylight saving we are meeting a little later these days - after 8.30pm is a safe time to arrive.what we do? hang, play, chat, misbehave. all casual and groovy.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

4d1c3member
61 posts

Posted:
hey i want to go some were like once a week and learn some nore moves tooi live i n campbeltown and all those places are to far away tongue------------------the risk is the rush

the risk is the rush

TairraSILVER Member
1 post

Posted:
Hi guys,

I am new to this website. I am looking for a place in Sydney where I can learn new tricks with poi.

Anyone can give me advise where I can go?

Thank you

Tairra
tairra@centrum.cz

trenteringmember
1 post

Posted:
Products can be obtained coming from Glebe markets (although We've in no way personally been) as well as in the Boulders market segments (stall under the umbrellas, concerning half-way alongside). Your person in which operates it appears to become a cool dude.

Mourinhomember
4 posts

Posted:
The various fire crews that meet up around Sydney are probably just as willing to teach an honest beginner for nothing but the thrill of watching someone else get a move down pat.

EDITED_BY: Kombi guy (1375824218)