Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
do any of you city slickers out there do fire poi on the roofs of our apartment buildings. having recently moved to such a city it seems the ideal place to get large audience so many of us crave, if only this would take off, the city skyline would be vastly improved for those suffering the concrete jungle.

Neph23BRONZE Member
62 posts

Posted:
I fear i would fall through my roof.. Big old warehouse with a creaky roof when squirrels are scampering across does not scream for me to stand on it... I also fear one of the neighbors might shoot me.. but I wouldn't mind looking to the south east and see glimmering poi, staff, and fire breathing in the distance grin[This message has been edited by Neph23 (edited 03 January 2002).]

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
As a country boy who lives in the city now...wouldn't you get virtually no audience at all on a rooftop?No-one would be able to get in (or hopefully not people off the sreet) for a closer look, you'd be too far away for anyone to see exactly what you are doing and the chance that someone form a distance will call the firedepartment I would say is about 50/50 for every burn...Does anyone else agree or disagree with these points?------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
My first burn (that I can recall) was actually on the rooftop of the apartment block I was living in smile I burned up there a few times. Was only a small block, so maybe 4 storeys high, but approaching cars often stopped and had a look. Definitely no hassles from fire people/police, but then again Sydney seems fairly relaxed in that regard. My main concern was having the property manager see me up there and wonder how I picked the roof-door lock!The more I think about it, the more I value those burns smile It was fun, but certainly not conducive to large audiences.------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Ohh that would be awesome to see. I could just see some Mary Poppins style move where you get some paneramic view of 100 spinners on their rook top fire dancin the night away. Heck that would make on kick ass promo poster.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
If we could only get them to shoot out of the chimneys like in mary poppins.I don't know I think my apartment management would throw a fit (and then me to the curb) if they caught me doing anything with fire on the roof of my building.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

Helmember
9 posts

Posted:
Firetwirling on a rooftop would be awesome but I can think of one other drawback aside from the ones that have already been mentioned....What if you dropped your poi or staff off the roof?? Ouch!Hel

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Haha ohh that is tempting to do accidently on purpose. Ohh I could win $10,000 buy doin that. CHA CHING.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
You know Phule, you have access to automatic weapons.You could dress up as a disgruntled postal worker, find a handy tower and Bob's a man who's mum calls him Robert......

Meh

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
the auidence is growing as the days go by.(up to six at last count) as for the comments about safety and all your limitations, all i can say is, if you are dropping your poi maybe you should invest in some decent handles, or maybe you need to practice some more. charles i have left your fair nation for the asian nation of korea, where apartmant buildings actually exist. ps. the road traffic is yet to be a problem. dan

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Oh well, i guess I can't have lived in three apartments her ein Auckland then if they don't exist.I'm going to my old landlords to get my money back from them... grin grin grin grin------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
good on ya charles you big city boy

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
We spun on a couple of rooftops when I visited NYC. One was very informal and one was for a party. Actually, at the informal one I was asked to stop fire breathing because they were afraid the cops would see it! It was funny. It is a great place with an amazing backdrop, I couldn't agree more! smile As for the audience, I think it would be building mates more than anyone.I don't know. I am back in my little town now with it's pointy roofs so there isn't really the option.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
it would look just like the city scenes in Blade Runner, you know, with all the huge flares going up. Nice.Out of curiosity, is rooftop access as easy as it seems to be in all the cop films when the chase always ends up on the roof?------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble The Mug Shot Gallery MSN Poi Community Words to memerise, words hypnotise, words make my mouth exercise.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude