Forums > Social Chat > Spinning on New Years Eve

Login/Join to Participate

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I've just voted in the poll on the main page and I've noticed that 75 people (so far) will be spinning on New Year's Eve.Since I think most of these people will be less than sober, I thought I'd ask this:Do people spin fire while drunk?I admit that I've had a go when I wasn't completely sober, but since I could run through all my tricks unlit, I didn't think it would make much difference to just have one burn.Every other time I've had a spin while drunk I've limited myself to glowsticks, and tried to spin reasonably early, so I can still control the poi.------------------Bovril - It's liquid cow y'know

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
I will be spinning on new years eve too... totally sober!! I would be afraid to spin all sloppy smile I have already gotten enough bruises and bloody noses while sober.. can imagine what i would look like after a night of swinging while wasted smile

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

Neph23BRONZE Member
62 posts

Posted:
quote:
I would be afraid to spin all sloppy I have already gotten enough bruises and bloody noses while sober.. can imagine what i would look like after a night of swinging while wasted
grin right there with ya... I already tie myself in one big poi knot right now... not even going to try it while intoxicated. smileGoing to be working anyway... Unless I magically appear in Los Angeles, CA...

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
Naughty I know, but I quite like to do fire when I've had a couple of beers or a bit of a smoke or something - just relaxes me enough to not be afraid at all - it flows a lot better that way and I find I get hurt less, or care less, whatever!:-)I'm not talking about getting completely wrecked though, that would be dangerous for more than just myself and I'm not into setting my friends on fire! wink

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
I will be spinning with our group Anthelion on NYE as well. I sometimes spin with a little buzz, it helps me be looser and feel more comfortable. However, for this gig the contract says if we're caught drinking before the performance, we'll be kicked out of the venue.....So I'll catch up after the show smileNomad

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
I'll be spinning with a bottle in each hand and a back up bottle in my pocket. Every time I do a windmill I'll be taking a drink grin I belive Getting totally hammered with fire poi increses your skill. It has a way of removing all thought of doing moves and it just becomes a flow of nothingness. Of course you need to be at that level befor you get tanked or you'd just be hitting yourself everywhere trying to think of the next move and swing at the same time while trying to stand it all just gets to confusing without the thoughtless flow. You also gotta be a drunk that can hold onto reason when you get tanked so you don't go setting fire everywhere.Happy firey drunken new years to all!

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
funny, I know a guy who ended up in the burn unit after trying to do poi while drunk. now he's featured in their slide show of burn injuries caused by people attempting fire stunts. and he has quite the nice scar. don't make the government make cheesy public service ads for tv! always use a designated poi-er!pere

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yocheck out the 'altered states' thread. Personally, booze and spinning never work out, too clumsey. I like ganja, but then I tend to spin slow. Best are mushrooms, when you are so fully in the experance (and out of the world) that its just soo much fun. cant tell what it does to your spinning, but it feels great!Lover

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

FevaGirlmember
21 posts

Posted:
I will be spinning on New Years -- with Zoomers and Mary Jane on hand -- At the party that I will be attending there should be a group of about 10 or so of us! smile It should be a good show for all who attend!I wish you all a Happy New Year and safe spinning to all! winkFevagirl

Peace, Beats, Love and Light!

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
zoomers eh... i'll assume you're talking about Yellow Jackets, or some other form of herbal stimulant? mmmm that and ganja IS the only way to go.. count me in.. i get all hyper-poi on the YJs shocked

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
The reason people get hurt doing stupid shit while drunk is simply that they don't have enough experiance doing stupid shit sober. And yes, if you are sloppy, stumbling, balls exposed, drunk it's probobly not a good idea to play with fire. Here's a good rule of thumb: If you can't walk properly, you're probobly not going to be able to spin properly.On the other hand I find that when I'm in that happy inbetween point with your drinking, and I'm just getting my buzz tied on, I have much better focus and concentration. I can't shoot pool for crap untill I put back two or three beers, for example.If you can master poi techniques when you're drunk, when you sober up you will have them down forever.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I usually have a few ales when i'm practicing. Helps me relax and, these days, keeps the chill off.I don't drink alcohol when I'm in nightclubs (which is where I usually spin + where I would be on New Years) so I can't comment on that.------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 29 December 2001).]

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Well - I take my advise from all the studies that show that in even the simplest tasks (eg driving a car) getting plastered has been shown over and over and over to greatly decrease your performance, and it especially lengthens your reaction time to adverse unexpected events (like a poi wrapping and crossing over your wrist for eg).Dutch Courage is one thing, but I dont think anyone here is *really* a better spinner when tanked.Josh [This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 29 December 2001).]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Ooh, spinning in a tank.....

Meh

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
I will not be drinking this NYE, however I'm sure I will be on other forms of mental stimulation. :P I'll be spinning at a aprty where 70-80 or so ppl will be at. (outside of course) So as many ppl that dare to come out in the 45o weather will get to see our show. (: Happy new year all my fellow twirlers everywhere!------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Pheelgoodmember
30 posts

Posted:
Heea!I will indeed be spinning on NYE - probably sober, earlier on in the evening in front of a bonfire in the bonny hills of Scotland. As i usually spin until i run out of paraffin, (and i don't have that much left anyway!), it won't be a problem later on.Have a good one y'all!! :}Phil

Pheelgoodmember
30 posts

Posted:
Ugh! thirteenth post, didn't want that one hanging around too long ;-)

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
I did spin, but there was not much alcohol in the system....but rather other stimulants that were making me hyper spinning loving it and having soooooo much fun!!! I think that if I did not know all the moves real well that I would have been bruised and battered, but the only sore part was the muscles the next morning from waaaaaay too much exuberance and energy being put into my spinning!!! Oh and the fact that I had a set of super huge fire poi that are like spinning a couple of bricks on chain.....but sooooooo much fun!!!------------------fe fi foo fun

fe fi foo fun

AmberGOLD Member
48 posts

Posted:
i spun all night on new years eve. i finally stopped at about 6 in the morning and had a cup of chai.i dont drink but i did have a few magic mushies, i'm sure they helped.had to be one of my best new years....

so_sumimember
7 posts

Posted:
I spun with glow sticks but stayed off alcohol. Other party enhancers work better. Live on the weed!!!