Forums > Social Chat > can i ask a fav? i need Hop help!

Login/Join to Participate

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
right guys, i finaly got round to working on my web-site again, now im stuck!

laterdays

was going all well and fine, untill seeds of doubt crept into my mind life salmon upstream! im stuck, i need some help getting a good background for it, opinions on the banner? plus im having a helish time working out the css sheets for it, so mainlly after opinions on the colour scheme!

please help me hop ur my only hope, i always think my work is shite!

oh well back to sleep, later days!

Step (el-nombrie)

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
It's good smile

Things to think about-

To me the most important things about a website are that it's fast to load, easy to use and easy to read.

I like the colour of the navigation bar but I think it'd be worth experimenting with the background and text colours to make them stand out more.

There are issues with using frames as they can make it difficult to bookmark/print/search for pages.

The header is nice, but it takes up quite a bit of valuable space for something that is basically decorative.

The photo thumbnails on the poi page would be better as scaled down versions of the photos, rather than a cut off corner.

It's good that it fits on a 800x600 display, a lot of people don't give that aspect much thought and create sites that look good on their own systems but are a bit innacessable on older computers. There's scope for making it a bit wider, and it'll still fit on a 800x600.

The animated GIF of you spinning on the first page is excellent.

On the whole it's looking good, what software did you use?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
hmm, I seem to have a sheet of flash that looks _exactly_ like those flames. Just wondering,

Quote:

All images, ideas, layouts, styles, comments and errors in this website are the Intellectual Property of Matthew Stepek. If you have any questions, comments or requests, please e-mail him. Thankyou.

is this you? I think the name of the company that does these is California Teardrops, are you an artist for them? I'd hate for someone to pass my work as their own, just curious. Would look better to alias the edges on the flames, increase the pallette of the bg gif so it wouldn't look so pixelated.

you can also try changing this in the thumbnail script, the images always are centered, and they fade in.
Code:
if (position=="center"){
pgyoffset=ns6? parseInt(pageYOffset) : parseInt(ietruebody().scrollTop)
horzpos=ns6? pageXOffset+window.innerWidth/2 : ietruebody().scrollLeft+ietruebody().clientWidth/2
vertpos=ns6? pgyoffset+window.innerHeight/2-imgheight/2 : pgyoffset+ietruebody().clientHeight/2-imgheight/2
if (window.opera && window.innerHeight) //compensate for Opera toolbar
vertpos=pgyoffset+window.innerHeight/2-imgheight/2
vertpos=Math.max(pgyoffset, vertpos)
}
else{
horzpos=ns6? pageXOffset+window.innerWidth/2 : ietruebody().scrollLeft+ietruebody().clientWidth/2
var vertpos=ns6? pageYOffset+e.clientY : ietruebody().scrollTop+event.clientY
}
crossobj.style.left=horzpos+"px"
crossobj.style.top=vertpos+"px"
if(!ns6&&!window.opera)
{
crossobj.style.filter="blendTrans(duration=2)"
crossobj.style.filter.blendTransapply()
}

crossobj.innerHTML='
Close
'
crossobj.style.visibility="visible"
if(!ns6&&!window.opera)
{
crossobj.style.filter.blendTrans.play()
}

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
ok, so far so good! thank you for the input
dave>i designed teh pages to load quickly, and fast and its ooptimised for search engines, so that they can scan teh text, too inside th apages, ehlping for teh return of info to a user!

The main image will only ever download oonce, as i know it is a big file. I set it in a fame of its own so that one downloaded, unless you press refresh, it will never have to re-load the image!

As for bookmarking, it will have little promts on eth page when i am finished so that you can save teh page as a true book mark, and with ease, also it will use some other trick i have up my sleve to make it sexy and sleek!

Mushi> i aim currently waiting for an email back from eth compnay i got the flames from, it turned up in a general searchy for flames fomr google, so i have already mailed them to ask permission! If you note, i have onely stipulated interlectual property of objects and code, not altual code or pictures!

This way i think from what IP means that its the way they are aranged not the objects that are copyrighted, parts of teh sire will be such as pics of me and some of the logo stuff!

Im also going to produce a proper mast head for the page listing those who have helped me, ppl like bobo who was trying to help me with some if the graphics last night cos i was tiered!

Were abouts would i dump that copde you gave me Mushi? im using a generic script from Dynamic Drive for the picture viewer, and am unsure were to dump that code into it???

Im am now despiratly trying to find a good backgroud to run it with, and a way to incorporate some of teh nice lil design features i want on the page! BUT THE CSS IS REALLY ANNOYING ME!

Step (el-nombrie)

1,148 posts

Posted:
ok, I just saw on that flash sheet that it is copyrighted, thas good you're tryin to get in touch with them. Your disclaimer does state images, tho, not to be a d!ck..

for the code, look in the enlarge function on your poi pixx page, find the second if statement, replace from there to before the return false statement

what problems r u havin on your css?

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i know, it was a general statment i add to cover my ass in case of other taking ideas, and even though its states images, teh IP covers the arrangment or images, and not just the images alone!

plus like i dais i have to edit the mast heads and copyrights rules!

ok, teh css well teh colours and layout of teh page is set, but i want all teh stuff bgcol, text clours, sizes, and all eth loverly bits of code that a css handles wont get it handled properly!

basically i cant get it to work right, i know the css that if it works right will only be about 4-5 sections long!its just a case of sitting down and doing it, and since i aint done one for about 2yrs ive forgotten how to get them to work correclty! stuff like the menu table i have is expanded out of proportion when i use a css on it!

man its annoying as bugger, i just want some one to go here, take this one! and iit work with those clours, cos im only going to need one for the main text, teh manu text and teh background, and maybe two more fields, and thats it, nothing else! cos there aint anything else for it to control!

later days

Step (el-nombrie)

1,148 posts

Posted:
CSS Attribute reference , watch out for the MS extensions if you want your site to look good on all browsers.

Ars Pyronomica

sophxxmember
10 posts

Posted:
hi smile

you have beautiful photos on your website... you should put more on there

sophxx

did you know that there are more plastic flamingos in the usa than real ones?

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
thanks only one prob..i dont have many!

the only few pics i have are those and a couple of others(maily my diabolo ones)!

when i pick up my new toys (hopefully soon) ill get some pics of thpse even if i have to go into teh backgraden and do them myself!

those pics are from a french guy in sheff, who thankfull allowed me to use them!

happy days, thankyou!

Step (el-nombrie)

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I love the fact that Flyntie is mentioned on your site... that is soooooo cool... I love her to bits and pieces

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
thanks darling smile

working at my new job today, i really like it! and i found a house!!!

xxoxxoxoxox thanks for the mention, you're a doll!

One thing tho.... mech's intro, Favourite toys: Flynt!!

Do explain? umm

Currently on the right side up of the world.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
what can i say flynt, ur my fav toys, i like to play and ahve fun with you (all that has no sexual notes with it!!!!)

Plus i was never one of those kids who had all the new cool toys, so i play with loverly thing now cos my child hood was empty!

thank you val, i figured after talking to flynt, that the only way i would find out about wether or not her new job/house was cool was to put it up on teh web site, and then she would get back to me! SUCCESS it worked!

Go check it again, i did some more updates last night, go check it again!

ubbloco

Step (el-nombrie)

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Yah yah, I'm not finished working on the banner graphic yet, so chilax. Like I said on the chat (I don't know if you got this or not, it's a little insnane in there) but, I've printed the image in question off, and I'm cleaning it up a little by hand, and then I'm going to scan it in, and make it very crispy-clean... Hopefully! So it is gonna be a touch longer.. but probably by tonight!

hug and ubblove and WOW I got mentioned on the site! eek

^^

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
im sure it aint that bigger of a thing is it? i mentioned mushi as well in teh mast head
(PS mushi i took ur advice and renewed teh copyright stuff at the bottom of teh page, what do you think now?)

Step (el-nombrie)

1,148 posts

Posted:
lookin good biggrin

did that script work? or you mebbe just want a copy of the whole script? *just noticed that you mentioned me on the site* biggrin hug

Ars Pyronomica