Forums > Social Chat > How do you pronounce POI?

Login/Join to Participate

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
I was just thinking as I was in a situation where someone asked me what is that thing that you do with the two balls? (this isn't going to be as bad as it sounds) I actually had to admit that I have never had to say the word before. How do you even pronounce it? Is it poi as in *pwah* or poi as in *poy* (like boy)?haha-i thought that this was an interesting topic smile

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I never really gave it much thought, but I suppose that it would depend on what part of the world you're from, diffirent accents and what not. Here in Denver it's "poy", just like boy, as you put it.But, then as far as I knew, that was the only way to pronounce it.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.[This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 25 December 2001).]

Jesus helps me trick people.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
To rhyme with boy. I've never encountered any other pronunciatians.

Meh

digital milkmember
37 posts

Posted:
(taken from the articles page on HOP)-------------------------------------------That word "poi"Pronounced like "Toy", "Boy" likes "Poi"(ie Poy). In Hawaiian Poi is a product made from the popular taro ("Colocasia esculenta") plant. You wrap the root in ball of leaves. Then attach a length of rope and begin swinging and bashing against a rock. After some bashing the taro root becomes a paste-like finger-food, which also called poi. Bashing two balls of Taro at the same time prevents getting overdeveloped on one side of your body. In New Zealand the Maori word "poi" means ball. It is believed by some that the Maori further developed this bashing of taro into a Poi-Poi dance for the females and co-ordination training for the warriors (using rocks swung from flax ropes) before battle. Also in New Zealand the Poi can be used as a representation of a number of items and beliefs One being of the penis or ovaries and fallopian tubes. Poi dancing had been used in the past to attract a partner. Poi is both singular and plural. That is... I have one Poi, and I have 4 Poi. Not pois. Other words that are both singular and plural are "Sheep" and "Fish".

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
No, I changd my mind. I wholeheartedly beleive that poi should be pronounced Penguin.

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Good call Cantus------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
Hey thanks.. my friend and I have been pronouncing it like **PWAH** for over 2 months now.. i feel like an ass smileThanks for the input smile

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
So are you going to start pronouncing it "penguin" now?*feels proud he's had an influence on a young life*------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 29 December 2001).]

Meh

djrubiomember
3 posts

Posted:
Mmm.. i eat poi all the time smilei don't think they put the taro on a rope and bash it to make poi, though. they usually use a rock (poi pounder) to smash the poi in a big wooden tray until it's pasty/smooth..

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
My head hurts....

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Yes, I do believe I will pronounce it "Penguin" now. That way I can be one of the cool kids too rolleyesWlcome Matt, is your friend from Boston or does he just talk funny? wink------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
he actually does go to school in Boston...

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
That figures.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

so_sumimember
7 posts

Posted:
no no not toy, but "poo ee". much cooler