phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Well, im in denial right now. 10 months of spinning and for the first time i've lost motivation to learn new stuff. Does anyone else find learning new stuff a chore now? I dunno, i use to spin and practice pretty much everyday for hours on end but now i only spin on the weekends when i go out. Someone kick my ass and set me straight cuz this sucks.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

dizzymember
43 posts

Posted:
Yer some times i dont spin for months i find meating with frends that spin realy well allways works! I hope you get your therst backDizz

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Hey,I have had that, although normally I spin at least once a week or once a month.I find that if you have some friends that spin, it inspires you to learn new stuff.On the weekend, Josh and I flew to Sydney to hang out with the Wickeffect guys, and we had the bestest tme!! smile Josh and I have come back and all we can think about is spinning and new moves.So I think you should go and try to find some spinners and hang out with them. Feed off each others motivation. Its alot of fun! smileLove and Light ~*~Katinca~*~[This message has been edited by Katinca (edited 20 December 2001).]

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I'm currently at an opposing point to Katinca. Something someone said to me at the weekend made me seriously consider giving up staff.I'm not going to. I'm going to push through the depressive state this persons words left me in. Hopefully I'll be a better spinner for it.

Meh

preambledmember
53 posts

Posted:
i'm sure it happens to everyone.i only spin for an average of about an hour a week nowadays, and it's not like i don't have stuff to learn.might have to migrate to staff smile

GaBBeRave19member
72 posts

Posted:
u gotta find sumthing else to fill the void its alot like dropping acid or x all the time thinking its the kewlest thing in the world it looses its magic u gotta find a new way to get the same feeling.ive started doing alot of liquid dancing and photon tricks they satisfy me for now...but the inevitable is sure to soon come again and i will need more creative outlets to satisfy my unquenching thirst for performing arts...*sigh of dissapointment*

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Yeah, but I try to at least think about it. When I find I do that I actually know the moves I think about when I come back to the toys. Right now I haven't touched my stuff in a week cause I am so busy with "other" stuff. It isn't bad, it is just a lull. It'll pass! smileCantus, sweetie....if you care to share or vent email me, 'kay? frown------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
Cantus[[[[[[ would could have anyone popssible said that would make you think of quiting??????

We are defined by the choices we make

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Im with Katinca on this one. Sometimes you need some inspiration to get started on some new tricks.Ill sometimes go weeks without spinning and then then next week spin every day.Just cause you dont do it 24/7, its doesnt make you a lesser person or spinner!Sometimes a break away is all thats needed to get motivation back.

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

Chakanmember
68 posts

Posted:
i`m still a newbie in the tricks department (*watches for the falling trampolines*) and I have stacks of things still to learn. What I do is search the net for videos and see what other people do... just recently saw a nice .mpg of a guy doing a pretty cool jump and thats what i`ve been working on for the past week. Inspiration can come from anywhere .. just remember that.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I haven't learnt a new trick for a while, but I have been working on the old ones and trying to develop my own style and flow. Every so often I will attempt some btb stuff, or throws (these are getting better) but lately I haven't wanted to learn anything new. I guess I got an information overload and now I am trying to manage with what I know now.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Marlboromember
180 posts

Posted:
Hook up with other spinners - the definite cure! (preferably not in a binged mess tho)I met up with the Sheffield posse last weekend, and now I don't have enough time to do all the spinning I want, not just that but I'm picking up new moves like crazy (well, a few anyways).Big Big Thanx to Thistle, Cantus, Kato, Orange, Tempest and the Arches for that.M:-)~

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Phunk, can it be true? your learning curve has finally plateaued smile dont worry - it happens to everyone - press on just having fun, and you will be all the better a spinner for it. There is always more precision to achieve...more grace..more dance moves (Go the Britney ::spins:: to the Janet... wink)

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
I feel that these days. I have been spinning with fire for a little over a year now. I feel like I plateaued in the past few months. I find that I pretty much stopped learning new tricks since I got the behind the back weaves down (somehow, I kept seeing them as the "ultimate moves" so now I don't need to learn new ones, stupid uh?....). So all I've been doing is trying to improve my style, get better transitions, be more graceful and have a smoother flow. But sometimes I'm bored with my portfolio of moves and get very uninspired when I spin (aaahh, I remember back in the days when I first started spinning, like someone else said, I'd spin 1-2 hours every day and constantly learn new stuff....). The solution, I agree, is to meet others. I was in Seattle lately and hung out with Pyrosutra which was very inspiring. The group of people I spin with, Anthelion, has a good dynamic: some people learn new moves on their own which inspires others to get them too. And it goes on, moving forward, that is very cool.The other thing I want to do is start learning staff. I'd hate it if I came to the point where I'm really bored with Poi.Nomad

RaVe4bEaNzmember
3 posts

Posted:
I moved to New York from South Carolina a year ago and cant find any spinners at all out here and it has droped me to not really spinning unless on the weekends if something pops up! But out here in the country everybody is like WOW!! look at that and im not even that good at poi im just starting out really! Hahaha sorry thought i would share with yall a little story! Peace and happy spinning!!!PLUR!!!!!!------------------~~~K~~~

~~~K~~~

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
learning new stuff isn't the problem. Ideas for moves pop into my head all the time. It's just the fact lately that when i come up with the idea i don't really go out and try to implement it, because all the effort it takes to get it right. Basically the point i'm at is that I'm satisfied with my spinning. Is this a good thing or a bad thing?------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
That's how I feel as well, satisfied. Basically, it took so much time and practice to get down everything I know now that I became lazy and won't put the effort necessary to learn new stuff all the time. I think it's a bad thing.Nomad

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I been a litle worried about this recently, but I think that to put down the toy for a while is no bad thing, keep your eye in of course and pick up something else definatly. My learning curve with all my toys has been a series of plateau's that are only overcome with a break and a change. The new toys feed back into the old and when you come back you have forgotton some of your old and bored routeens and get into new stuff. Remember the posibilities for tricks are endless, the point is not to learn them all, but to have fun.Im planning to swap between my stuff as I want, and not wory too much. Humm, two staff + 2 poi....... (stumbles off into the archives)LoveNix

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti