GlowWormBRONZE Member
84 posts

Posted:
There is all this talk about what fuels to use ect, what is good for this, that kerosene is smelly and smokey, blah, blah, blah, but all i want to know is about citronella oil (one of the few things, besides paraffin and meths, have available)Is citronella oil ok to use? i know it lights slowly, but that is a problem easily solved. Does it smoke alot, and stink. I want to use it for an indoor performance, so i need to get this right.------------------ColesId love to be a glow-wormCuz a glow-worm's never glumIt's hard to be downheartedWhen a light shines out your bum

Coles
Id love to be a glow-worm
Cuz a glow-worm's never glum
It's hard to be downhearted
When a light shines out your bum

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
There is a thread on it already, but I wouldn't use it indoors. It is very smokey and stinky, moreso than lamp oil, in my opinion, but if you are outside it will keep the bugs away winkDo you have smokeless and odourless lamp oil where you are? It still is a bit smokey but not too bad.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

GlowWormBRONZE Member
84 posts

Posted:
I dunno about the smokeless, oderless stuff... What's it called. What would you recommend i do for an indoor performance? and do i kneed two sepertate poi- one for indoor and one for outdoor, since they're soaked in different fuels? man, this is tough...------------------ColesId love to be a glow-wormCuz a glow-worm's never glumIt's hard to be downheartedWhen a light shines out your bum

Coles
Id love to be a glow-worm
Cuz a glow-worm's never glum
It's hard to be downhearted
When a light shines out your bum

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
have used Kero for indoor performances, but it was a large venue, so plenty of room for smoke etc.Have also used Pegasol, which is a nice clean burning hydrocarbon we can get here in Oz and NZ. If you do some research with petrochemical companies you may be able to find a similar, clean burning long chain hydrocarbon that they sell that does not have a flash point that is too low. Pure lamp oil is also good...but more expensive. I have had a friend who used rose scented lamp oil...which burned almost the same, but did at least smell nice!! It was not her original plan, the rose lamp oil was all she could find, but it did work fine!!Just one other note...watch what surface you are on. There have been threads on this recently, but you will spin fuel onto the floor and it is likely to get rather slippery!!Oh and where Pele and I are talking Lamp oil, substitute parrafin and it is likely that we are talking the same stuff (not sure for Sth Africa)As for two set of poi...I am forever dipping my poi in different fuels. I think that after one or two burns of the new fuel, most of any other fuel will have been burnt off and you will be left with the new fuel.------------------fe fi foo fun[This message has been edited by foobaa (edited 20 December 2001).]

fe fi foo fun