claremember
82 posts

Posted:
*giggling* set fire to poi for first time on monday, fucked up the eaveything admirably and hit myself right the mouth/nose with falming poi. *pout* had biiiiiig bee-stung lips (blister burns) and lotsa little cuts in my mouth.on top of that i got a conch piercing in my ear the next morning.i turned up to work a swollen wreck. *sighs happily*

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
Encouraging word for those (such as me) who are about to use fire for the first time. smileAnyone else got any "the first time I used fire……" stories to add to my ever growing confidence

One fine day in the middle of the night,
Two dead men got up to fight,
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew there swords and Shot each other.

GlowWormBRONZE Member
84 posts

Posted:
Yeah, im also thinking about starting with fire. Has[\b] anyone got any stories that could make me feal a bit more at ease?Peace outIf at first you dont succeed, blame it on your parents------------------Coles

Coles
Id love to be a glow-worm
Cuz a glow-worm's never glum
It's hard to be downhearted
When a light shines out your bum

Chakanmember
68 posts

Posted:
I just recently after about 2 months playing with fire had my first real hard groin shot (with fire.. I have hit myself with practise poi) thank goodness I wasn`t performing but just playing at my house.Suffice to say the girlfriend was not a happy camper cause of it.Hope this helps wink[This message has been edited by Chakan (edited 20 December 2001).][This message has been edited by Chakan (edited 20 December 2001).]

GlowWormBRONZE Member
84 posts

Posted:
You know, all this happy talk makes me REALLY wanna try fire rolleyes nah, who am i kidding, of course i still wanna try. Ne1 else got stories for us? tonguepeace out------------------Coles

Coles
Id love to be a glow-worm
Cuz a glow-worm's never glum
It's hard to be downhearted
When a light shines out your bum

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
Ajay, There is at least 1 more of these threads floating around. Use the search function to find it and feel free to bump it up again.That's the advantage of being on a board that's 2 years old.------------------"There no such thing as bad weather, only wrong clothes."Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Luckily in the last 5 months I've not had a bad fire poi injury (tempting fate, gotta to touch wood, turn around, touch the ground!). I've singed a few hairs every now and again, but nothing too bad. Maybe I've been lucky, and I only do moves I'm really comfortable with. With staff I've not even burn't myself as it's been less time and a staff you can just stop and drop.However, nad shot with beaming poi has occured once which resulted in me assuming foetal position for a good 10 minutes. And a fast eye hit with the same gave me cartoon style stars.

dizzymember
43 posts

Posted:
Hi!When i first lit up i got a bit over confedent and fucked up bad frown my poi wrapt rond my left arm and burt me bad! so i did wot anyone would do, and threw them as far away as pos. oops!! Thay went strate under the a static caravan. We did try to put it out but it went up prity dam fast!! grin Dizz

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
The first time I lit up went amazingly well. I ran through the weave and butterfly (all I knew at the time - not that I know much more now) and I didn't even lose any arm hair.the second time however, I got cocky and took a load of hair off my arms, half an eyebrow, then wrapped both poi around my wrists and lost some more hair.I give them alot more respect now.------------------Bovril - It's liquid cow y'know

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
The first time I lit up I did really well.The second time I busted myself square in the nuts. Then nothing happend for a long time. Then I got cocky (seems to be a reoccuring phrase in this thread) I tried one of Xaeda's (Damn you Xaeda wink) over the shoulder tosses, before I'd gotten it down w/o fire. the staff turned virtical above my head and I looked up just in time to catch it with my face shockedIt happend about ten minutes before a performance I was supposed to do. Had to go with half of my hair singed, and a big black mark across my face. And to this day I still have some of the black mark across my nose. It just won't come off for some reason. It's not inceadibly noticeable, unless you look, but I suppose it's a good reminder not to do stupid things with fire untill you're pretty good at doing stupid things with out it.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.[This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 20 December 2001).]

Jesus helps me trick people.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
On a side note:since I've noticed that getting hit in the bollocks is a pretty common theme in this thread, here are some things that help (swear to god) that I picked up in my martial arts days.Jumping up and landing hard on your heels helps. You have to keep your legs rather rigid when you do this. Another thing is to actually pull down on your sack. If they start to swell, Ice them. And if they're ruptured go straight to the hospital, and tell no one but your family 'cuz everyone else is going to laugh their ass off at you (once they're done cringing, that is).------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

HappyStickermember
42 posts

Posted:
hey, just thought i would throw in a little word of encouragement for those a about to try it...the first time i lit up everything went perfectly, trying a limited amount of moves and going fairly slow i avoided any problems :-)after three months a little burnt arm hair is all i have had to deal with...and a singed hat and shirt

If you had a friend that was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down the street and he just fell over......that would be unacceptable.

claremember
82 posts

Posted:
xmas eve, the burns are healed beautifully, the ear is grossly infected.make you feel better ajay?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
gosh - it's already Xmas according to this board. I've got a few more hours to wait...Best one I ever did was a "hand-cuff" wrap with fire that I couldn't shake off. How I laughed. My first time wasn't too bad at all though as I was pretty relaxed about my moves and didn't try anything too adventurous. It's when you start getting cocky things go pear-shaped.------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble The Mug Shot Gallery MSN Poi Community Words to memerise, words hypnotise, words make my mouth exercise.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

catboymember
167 posts

Posted:
my only real bad one (other than a few knocks, singes and ingested testicles) was a couple of weeks ago.. was going to get hit in the side of the head and twisted my face away and invoulentarilly opened my mouth... unfortunately te other poi went straight in it... hmmm can still taste the kero! :P

you can take the cat out of the jungle, but you cant take the jungle out of the cat