Page:
Lil dan the fire man.member
4 posts

Posted:
i am not that keen on the dance scene but poi does look good along to music. does any of you guys spin along to rock music eg, rage against the machine, the red hot chili peppers, etc.

im thinking that it may be posible to rage against the machine but im not sure about doing it along to quite alot of other bands like the chili peppers.

im just wondering if any of you have experimented with doing it? ubbrollsmile

cya l8r

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
You can spin poi to anything you enjoy listening to.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
and in fact we'd be shocked if you went out of your way to spin to music you didn't like!! wink

seriously, i find the chilis lovely to spin to. also radiohead(for slow chilled spins), ratm, life of agony...
not yet tried pitchshifter, bit worried what it would do to me... ubbloco

waveR

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Armoured_RavenGOLD Member
35 posts

Posted:
I've been able to spin to everything that has a beat...welll, everything that I enjoy that has a beat wink
I actually learned the 3bt weave to windmill while listening to cherry poppin daddy's. Swing and poi go suprisingly well together. ubbloco If it makes your feet, body and booty groove you will probably have a good time spinning to it. biggrin weavesmiley

"I have no particular talent. I am merely inquisitive." -Albert Einstein

soldaribusy-tofu!
133 posts

Posted:
Poi-ing to music is especially nice; I do it all the time ubblove

Try out all the styles of music that appeal to you, I find them all inspiring in their own ways. Different sounds, tempos, emotions and styles bring out different moods and appreciation in spinning.

Special instructions: inhale music, exhale movement.

Happy spinning smile

there is no better way to say I love you than with the gift of a spatula!

pengwinoBRONZE Member
suitable for vegetarians
300 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I actually learned the 3bt weave to windmill while listening to cherry poppin daddy's. Swing and poi go suprisingly well together. ubbloco

Oooh, what a fantastic idea! *off to find my cherry poppin daddies album now*
thanks for that armoured raven! wave

animals who are not penguins can only wish they were

Shokmember
25 posts

Posted:
Metal + Fire Poi = HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Hiya,,,I've been spinning poi regularly for about ten months now and just started spinning to music in the past two weeks..I'll admit to having a bit of a techno problem,,because I wanted to speed the whole spinning thing up,,however in the past three days I've come to realize that the beat doesn't seem to matter all that muchso (this week) I'm subscribibg to the spin to whatever music makes you feel good,,,,tempo be damned. hummmm,,,spinning to Enya,,,anyone???? weavesmiley

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I spin too what ever I like. Which ranges from Japanese thrash metal too Dub. The tempo of the music doesn't seem too matter either, I've spun slow to metal and fast too dub. Just listen to what you like. hug

ps Rage rocks!
EDITED_BY: Achluophobia (1069881846)

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
Indeed RATM does rock. Too bad Zack cut his locks, he's got a 'fro now. I'm looking forward to hearing his new stuff though.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Rage.... mmmmmm.... there was a mighty fine cover band who did bullet in the head.... sooo fun. I had a good spin outside when I was all energetic after moshing in the pit like a twat. rofl ubbloco

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
When doin' poi to rock I personally prefer goth bands like Nightwish... Their tracks just rock..

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I find old rock generally better for spinning (70's and 80's rock mostly (note not bleep bleep synth rock, real rock from the 80's)

A really good song for spinning is black betty. Also the white stripes are good for spinning because of their crazy pounding drumming.

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
Poi to punk... Combining two of my favourite things in life

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i saw someone had mentoined radiohead. i too think radiohead are pretty good to spin to, one minute youll be all chilled out and slow, then the fast bit in paranoid android kicks in and you hit the ceiling... smile

also like spinning to kind prog rocky based stuff, kinda has a good stomping quality to it.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

4 posts

Posted:
Quote:

A really good song for spinning is black betty. Also the white stripes are good for spinning because of their crazy pounding drumming.

crazy drummer i think not, she always gets 2nd worced drummer in all the drumming polls behind jamie oliver

4 posts

Posted:
anyway thanks guys for the comments

anyone play bass guitar?

anyone do poi along to jazz funk?

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Poi too Queen is good. smile

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Did I say crazy drummer? I said crazy pounding drumming. It may not be entirely clear, but I meant crazy as an expletive infront of pounding, meaning theres a lot of pounding. Which means loud, Which means it's easy to follow, and being simple also makes it easy to follow

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
It's a bit off topic, but I have to say I can't listen to much White Stripes without going insane and shouting at the radio "PLAY IN @#&%ING TIME". I know musicality/technical ability aren't everything in music, but she really is bad....

*ahem*

I've spun to rock but didn't enjoy it anywhere as near as much as I do to "dance" music. Which is odd as I'm a rocker at heart umm

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

PheonnexxBRONZE Member
89 posts

Posted:
Hmmm i heard In violet light say sumin about spinnin to enya - now that is really nice when i just want to relax very soothing. But when i want to have a muck about or laugh i like doing it to ska sumin like less than jake but i find that i can really zone out with sumin like Linkin Park i can get some smooth bits and some really speedy bits with them.

Burn !

Same as Dostoevskiymember
54 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I'm with you! beerchug

when it gets colder that -25, you don't really care

LiBeemember
15 posts

Posted:
At an outside party I played to heavy metal, and it was amazing!! I really enjoyed it. The music really suited the poi.

And I don't even like heavy metal!

PheonnexxBRONZE Member
89 posts

Posted:
How about twirlin to classical music i tried it last night and it is really nice - the different bits which run together is quite cool. weavesmiley

Burn !

Snakeymember
16 posts

Posted:
I agree, you can spin to anything that has a beat and makes you want to move. I really like spinning to reggae and dub but even folk is pretty good. Queens of the stone age are really funky for poi, its all played on jazz timing (like 5:7 or 3:13) so theres loads of quirky little changes.

I can't believe someone said they spin to enya, don't you know she donates part of the profit from music sales to the IRA? She is evil!! If you need an alternative delirium are fab.

PheonnexxBRONZE Member
89 posts

Posted:
Does she? hmmm never knew that i only have one random album of hers oh well its interestin music but yeah queens of the stone ages heh i shall borrow some of their music of my friend. biggrin

Burn !

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

I'm with you! beerchug

I'm with you both, and I love spinning to my angry music, not really hard/thrash metal but it's got that kinda beat which makes me wanna punch things, so I poi instead it gives me energy! And 30 Seconds to Mars are good to poi too, Echelon has some great intro music if anyone's interested, I heard it on the credits to The Core V good!
Off topic now: anyone know where I can buy the sound track to Titan A E? "It's my time to fly" love it!

Mary ubbangel

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

Zyanya BellaBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
I spin to just about everything. I spun to the Beatles once. Music just gets me spinning. beerchug

Always Beautiful

Clarabelmember
23 posts

Posted:
Hey i love to spin to rock music! system of a down are good to spin too

also serart if anyones heard of them are good too :-) although not rock as such

Live well, Laugh often, Love much

Xtremely Flameablemember
95 posts

Posted:
I always spin to rock music or did. But I didn't spin to the soft type of Rock I was always spinning to Metal and some Classic rock. A really good song if you want to spin to rock is Ascent Through The Spheres by Morbid Angel. Great rythme in that song.

biggrin XF biggrin

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

PheonnexxBRONZE Member
89 posts

Posted:
Hmm i used to own a soundtrack to titan ae but it broke i downloaded most of it though - cosmic castaway is a nice one to poi with. You might just find it online i think.

Burn !

Page: