Page:
Lil dan the fire man.member
4 posts

Posted:
i am not that keen on the dance scene but poi does look good along to music. does any of you guys spin along to rock music eg, rage against the machine, the red hot chili peppers, etc.

im thinking that it may be posible to rage against the machine but im not sure about doing it along to quite alot of other bands like the chili peppers.

im just wondering if any of you have experimented with doing it? ubbrollsmile

cya l8r

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Hmm i used to own a soundtrack to titan ae but it broke i downloaded most of it though - cosmic castaway is a nice one to poi with. You might just find it online i think.

Thanks smile I didn't even know if there was a soundtrack! ubbrollsmile

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

automaticforthepeopleGOLD Member
Obama supporter
32 posts

Posted:
Hi,

For crazy fast spinning,

'Machete' by Moby (off the Play album).

'Dancing with Myself' by Billy Idol (back when he was part of Generation X).

'Clocks' by Coldplay (off A Rush of Blood to the Head).

For slow spinning,

Miles Davis' masterpiece album Kind of Blue. Track one 'So What' and the 'Flamenco Sketches' are great.

If you REALLY want to throw them a curve, try 'Ubi Caritas' by Maurice Ravel. That composer got MAAAAAD skillz.

Fo' sho'.

michael

"The storm it came up strong,
and shook the trees,
and blew away our fear."

-R.E.M. "Half a World Away"

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
I've been practicing to slow-fun songs like Copperhead Road and that song that goes "How do you like it, how do you like it?...." - that one works well for me, very groovy. Anything disco works for me (my true colors are shining out, here)

And then there's Type O Negative - I'll dance to anything of theirs. I think Peter would be proud. :? Nine Inch Nails and Tool just demand my attention, as well.
EDITED_BY: Julie2022 (1125147415)

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Type O Neg are fantastic to spin to. As are HIM, their new song Wings Of A Butterfly is great for spinning, its nice and slow. I have a routine bassed mostly on butterflys for it.

R.I.P. Pete Steele

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

HeadSwimGOLD Member
...curiously lost
580 posts

Posted:
I listen to stuff like VNV Nation, A23, Coventant, cut.rate.box etc etc i.e. EMB/future pop/goth electro and love spinning to it but I was at a summer festival a few weeks ago and just happened to be at a spot they set up a massive reggae sounsystem. Now that was really good to spin to!!! All bouncy and relaxed - very good beats to spin to! biggrin

Nothing is easy.......until you can do it! biggrin

TeaCupnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Tool are awesome to do poi too biggrin
I also like dancing around to Head Automatica its great ^_^

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
Hey - I tried Enya last night - very very nice.

So is Patsy Clein (Ok - so she's country and far from anything that anyone's ever thought of) but some of her songs sound more Celtic than country folk. smile

Shoot- I just tune into a comcast music station and there you go - live DJ smile

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
Does the Beatles - Hey Jude count as Rock?

I've been trying to isolate to it, the slow held back bit help we think!

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

JerryDSILVER Member
136 posts

Posted:
So, tonight I had my iPod on shuffle while I was spinning. I have ALL sorts of music on there and it was great, because it made me change things up and spin in all sorts of different ways...very good learning tool me thinks.

There were two very good spins, one to a Lords of Acid remix, but I don't remember which one, but the best spin of the night was to a slow Latin jazz number "Somewhere in the Night" by Cal Tjader...the flow was sweet.

I was touched by His Noodly Appendage

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Course rock works,devil one of my personal favs is the old Apollo 440's "Stop the rock", it rules! But yeah, you dont necessarily need to spin super fast to rock (though it is fun). You can try doing one poi beat on like every second beat of the song and it slows evrything down a notch.

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

Miranda (mewcat)BRONZE Member
queen of all the hipsters
150 posts

Posted:
I figure that you can spin to whatever you damn well like! The only thing I've found I can't spin to at all is Belle and Sebastian, which is a shame as I adore them in all their twee glory...

to live at all is miracle enough

ficklampaBRONZE Member
81 posts

Posted:
you can poi to anything where you can find the beat.
as soon as you've found the beat its poiable.
though i really like spinning to cultus ferox and kaizers orchestra:P

the only thing worth dying for is life itself

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
ah I cant stand it when people make videos of poi and choose music they like over music that has abeat. Sure you can spin to anything you like, but if you do a video I allways think its better to find a song that fits, couse tis not for you to watch its for other people.

Best music ide say is are the sngs that dont focus too much on the lyrics, but more on the insroments and the beats. You cant allways spin to words the same way you can spin to a repeating beat.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
Last night i spun to the remix of Elvis Presely's "A little less conversation" and it was the best spin of my life.

I also really like to spin to The Clash's "London Calling" and Franz Ferdinand's "This Fire"

i think im going to make a mix cd of good music to spin to in all different moods that i can memorize what the tracks are and choose the one that i feel like working with

happy spinning
Lyra

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Managed to spin to 'Ace of Spades' and 'Blood Sweat & Tears' once. Quite tiring I tell you! But it worked.... A lot of industrial/metal I find very suitable for poi-ing to. All depends on what different rhythms you find in each song....

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

DeviantPenguinSILVER Member
7 posts

Posted:
One of the better spinning spinning experiences I had was with a group of folks at camp playing Sullivan Street by Counting Crows. Spinning to live music is incredible.

Speaking of spinning to rock though, Down with the Sickness by Disturbed is excellent.

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
Hey, Disturbed! hadn't thought of them smile

I've found that disco is excellent - for me, I love to dance like a devil, Saturday Night Fever gave me inspiration to spin to my disco tunes.

"I'm your Huckleberry."

Demonnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
I love spinning to "World In My Eyes" by Sonata Arctica, and "Wish I Had An Angel" by Nightwish. Great beats, and seriously atmospheric. Plus, it indulges my love of Finnish metal. Heehee. Other than that, "Confusion" by New Order, and definitely "Hot For Teacher" by Van Halen. Keeps you on your toes!

Wait in the fire...

matty390GOLD Member
71 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lil dan the fire man.

im thinking that it may be posible to rage against the machine but im not sure about doing it along to quite alot of other bands like the chili peppers.

im just wondering if any of you have experimented with doing it?

hey RATM and the chllis is my fav to spin to. biggrin
The older stuff by the chillies is better though e.g Apache rose peacock and Sir Psyco sexy from blood sugar sex magick

matt

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Hey Demon get yourself an intro thread so I can say wavehello properly.

I finished editing a video of us (Demon and myself) and used The 69 Eyes "Lost Boys" and Dream Theater "The Dance Of Eternity". Will post it when I can find some way of compressing it without losing too much quality.

I'm thinking of making a series of wideos that look at how I spin to different artists. I have about 6 songs that I'm thinking of using. Cue gratuitous self indulgence...

Miranda (mewcat)BRONZE Member
queen of all the hipsters
150 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lyra

Last night i spun to the remix of Elvis Presely's "A little less conversation" and it was the best spin of my life.

That is such a good song to spin to! One of my favourites...

to live at all is miracle enough

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
I m glad you agree Miranda, i totally love spinning to it. Its, got a good beat and speed, but its also funky, and not entirely what you'd expect. My friends think im a total dork for it, but i really love Elvis.

im burning again friday, ive got to find a good song for that, my brother wants me to use Purple Haze, by Jimi Hendrix

peace
Lyra

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
Written by: OneFinalStep

As are HIM, their new song Wings Of A Butterfly

I spun to that song earlier, very nice, indeed.

Purple Haze! There you go, that's a good one smile

Got you Where I Want you by the Flys is ideal, too.

"I'm your Huckleberry."

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I have the first of my iPoi routines done and the song that I used was "Wings Of A Butterfly". I'll post it as soon as I get it filmed.

The other songs are:

"Fury" - Muse
"Bless The Child" - Nightwish
"I'm The Hell Outta Here" - Steve Vai
"My Wound Is Deeper Than Yours" - For My Pain...
"iv. The Test That Stumped Them All" - Dream Theater
"Judith" - A Perfect Circle
"Such The Fool" - SiKth (yes I am gonna die trying to do something for that song)

My aim with this is to find something that links the routines with the songs so perhaps "The Test..." will have lots of isolations and weird things to confuse people, "I'm The Hell..." might be lots of releases and catches and I'm thinking of doing at least one with a staff.

firepheonix59BRONZE Member
26 posts

Posted:
anyone else love spinning at drum jams??

"be true to you and screw labels"

matty390GOLD Member
71 posts

Posted:
omg i cant believe no one has mentioned ska yet, i think two tone is brill to spin to! especially the specials!!:D
matt

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Written by: matty390

omg i cant believe no one has mentioned ska yet

Because most of us have ears... wink tongue

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i like fwirling to psytrance with rock guitar samples:
"Magical Energy" by Dark Nebula
"Machines" by Void
"None of this is real" by Infected Mushroom

i have a funny guitars set ready for when i can spot enough bogan doofers on the dancefloor.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ChickpeaSILVER Member
mostly a muppet in need of distraction...
305 posts

Posted:
at the moment i love spinning to a band called 'rise against' - a life less frightening, its pretty fast but a stunning tune at the same time.(go and find it!!!)
i'm mad about spinning to rock/metal - especially loving the chillies, foo fighters and rage!
B x

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Written by: bender

i have a funny guitars set ready for when i can spot enough bogan doofers on the dancefloor.

what are 'bogan doofers'? umm my ozzie's not too good..

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Page: