Forums > Social Chat > running away to join a circus

Login/Join to Participate

claremember
82 posts

Posted:
when i was bout 12 i was friends with this girl (we went to circus school together), and i hadnt seen her in years, and yesterday i saw her, and i found out she's going to the National School of Circus Arts, and im SO jealous!then found out the contortion/trapeze/stilt twins (anyone remember the Jebediah video clip with the twin contortionists? that was them) are headed east to join Lenin (sp?) Bros. Circus.and again, im JEALOUS! why the HELL did i give up the circus malarkey? i want to be in a freaking circus! though i guess my back wouldnt hold up to much these days. *sigh*anyone here a circus darling? go on, tell me how great life is. make me jealous.

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
I wanna be in a circus...------------------"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted" - Martin Luther King Jr.

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Why not start your own circus?Begin with the twirling (progress to fire if you haven't yet), and add other components as you see fit. If you have a background in the circus arts then you have a head start. involve your friends and such.Rehearse together, then once you feel that you are ready to put on a show. Do it!Or you could join a troupe in "Perf" and see where it goes. I have always wanted to get on a freight train and see where it goes (just like in the movies) but in Australia, it is likely to go to any of the other 5 cities - not exactly a mind bender if it is heading west or north!

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Maybe youcould start your own freight train. One that goes underground... straight to te centre of the earth. Like in the movies.....

Meh

claremember
82 posts

Posted:
*G* yeah. i thought of gettin together a circus.... Looch (perf kiddies may know, the chenille clothing) offered to design me costumes a few years ago smileand well, people are headed east, but i still got some acrobaticky friends, and most of them spin fire too....hmmmm.... where do you reckon we could steal a freight train from?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I reckon I could "borrow" a train from round here. But I'm not paying the postage to send it to OZ - it cost me enough sending a small parcel to Katinca. I'd hate to see how much a choo-choo would cost.------------------C@ntusDance the dance that plays within the fire and play guitar and the play it inspired. You said you wouldn't leave me not ever, underneath the sky forever.And we're so far from home, no wish to return. there's so much that we have taught and so much we have learned.

Meh

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
Im afraid of clowns

Good on usGood on us all

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
And cameras it seems....

Meh

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
cani start a side show for some one's circus??? smile

GoldenKrispymember
60 posts

Posted:
Im on a Theatre Course at the moment and Im studying acrobatics of all sorts! SO Circus is an option after I leave theatre school! I really love doing it! But I'm only 16, so I have a while to go yet!Keep Smiling grinGolden

Nokomismember
27 posts

Posted:
I'm a bit late in this response. I'm not in school yet, but will be very soon. For contorture, chinese acrobats, static trapeze, and chinese aerial hoops & maybe bungees. In that particular order, but I'll have years at it before I'll be anywhere keen under anyone's big top. Besides my dream is reversed. My mission is to eventually run away from the circus.Good luck =][This message has been edited by Nokomis (edited 14 December 2001).]

claremember
82 posts

Posted:
mmm... went to a THING last night, circus-kinda-rave-i-guess thing, and was sposed to see lotsa the people i used to know, but missed em all *sigh* but, i realised, i suck. no more circus ideas, methinks.on the side, i was bored, and twirling waterbottles tied to shoelaces, and this guy walked up to me, and asked to borrow em, and i thought he was gonna steal my water, but he just twirled for a bit, and invited me to a fireparty. and then reckoned he was sure he knew me from somewhere, and we eventually worked out where from. smile it was kinda neat.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Clare,If you can find it out in Austrailia, try to pick up any "Jim Rose Circus" videos you can come across. I don't know if the ever toured anywhere but the U.S., but there should definitely be something on the web about them.If you want to start a circus this would be a good model.

Jesus helps me trick people.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
How do you run away and join a circus?I think it's a lot easier said than done - I'm serious, once I finish school (next yr.) I have nothing to do and I really really really want to run away to the circus. Everone always says that they wished they had when they were younger (well, old people do) and I AM YOUNG. - but I can't find a circus to run away to!!!!!!!!! I am seriously in need of help if my ambitions are ever to be fulfilled. Help me find a circus to join please, please, please. How do you go about becoming a circus performer if you haven't been to theatre school or circus school like Golden or Clare's friend? Is it possible?Ros xx

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
Hi!It is totally possible for any of you to fulfil your ambitions to be a circus performer.I mean it!I studied at Circomedia (circus/theatre school,Bristol uk) and now i am a proffessional poi performer working all over the uk and europe, and occasionally further afield...I recommend Circomedia, but there are many circus schools all over the world. from Montreal to Moscow.How much better can you make your life, what would happen if you really GO FOR IT!!! This life RULES!There is nothing to stop you if you simply work towards your goal a little every day - Starting NOW!or you could just wish you'd done something about later in life...wouldnt that feel WonDerFuL! frownThere is no stopping you, your age does not matter, train each day and commit yourself, do the research NOW!DO IT!DO IT!DO IT!NOW!love Axis

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
Hey Ros, not sure whereabouts in the UK you live but if it's anywhere near London, check out The Circus Space in Hoxton ('trendy' part of East London, near the city). I think they're part of the Central School of Speech and Drama. I know they do full-time courses as well as evening classes and summer school so they might be worth checking out. If you find out anything let us know. Good luckSunbeam------------------Life in the circus ain't easy but the folks on the outside don't know yeah well the tent goes up and the tent goes down and all that they see is the show and the ladies on the horses look so pretty and the lions are looking real mad and some of the clowns are happy and some of the clowns are sad. Welcome to the freakshow.. here we go (Freakshow by Ani di Franco)

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

3,638 posts

Posted:
Thanks Sunbeam + Axis,This is something I'm really interested in. I've checked up on circomedia but I just don't have that kind of money - I'll have a look at The Circus Space too, but I'm quite far away. However my brother has a flat in London..........................Wahay! My dreams may not be as impossible to achieve as I first thought. smile grin smileThanks again,Ros xxx

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
Hey Ros!I know for a fact that friends of mine spoke to circomedia when they realised there was no way they could afford that kind of money, they were given help finding funding.Some people managed to get their course fees paid, housing benefit and dole money - they didnt have to pay a penny!There are ways...Simply ring them and ask...love Axis

3,638 posts

Posted:
I think I'm gonna do just that! grin smile cool tongueRos xxxps. I'll let you know how it goes.pps. Sorry for stealing the thread here smile

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Axis Nice one,looks like you've got yourself a prodigy.Never thought Id see you get so passionate about anything. I'm almost tempted by Circomedia myself. Ros: There's always a way. Axis is one of the most professional performer here. technically amazing, but, its his choregraphy that gets me his shows are something special. He looks like this smileLots of glovesGlass

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
It's true - I do look like that.Axis winkPS: Thanks for the big up, Glass!

WiccanChicaThe wee little one on the block
147 posts

Posted:
It would rock to join the circus! I really would love to, its something that I've always, secretly dreamed about doing. I think it would be glorious to be in a circus! But, the chance would be a long way away, assuming I'd ever get it.

My knight in shining armor turned out to be a loser in aluminum foil.