PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hmmm....so I recently did an interview for a performance job. When I do this I walk in wearing my business type clothes (especially for this gig...it's corporate). I have our portfolio and I get gussied up.Usually it's no big deal. This time it was strange. They looked at me as if I were an alien. Later I was informed they expected me in leather and goth stuff, tatoo-ed biker style, etc.Now, we do the night time goth show but this was for a Ren thing so I went into this with the business attitude. However, they questioned me long and hard and while I got the job in the end I was told by my contact they were much harder on me because I didn't fit the image they had. confusedI do have tatoo's in hidden places, they are only for me and those I care to share them with. I am not a smoker or a drinker. I am not an all the time neo-goth babe. I am also not stuck up or adverse to other kinds of performers.These are the stereotypes I have come across in the past year. Someone even said to me "Why the hell don't you smoke, you put torches in your mouth, it's all the same???"So my question is, which, if any stereotype do you fit into? Are you a goth, smoker, biker? I am trying to figure out where these ideas came from and if I am truly a minority...which I don't think I am.Maybe next time I'll wear a set of Di's flaming antenae and let them think I am an alien! grinI will also say I do have images of each of you in my mind, forged from what you have said and such, as I suppose each of us does about the other. For example, I envision Jesse as tall, slender and graceful. Di as more subdued and sensual. Flavio as this on the edge (in a good way) almost grunge babe, Kerri as the more goth type, and Simos as the alien grin (joking). I am a girl so it's easier for me to picture the girls. The guys all seem to come across more athletic and jock like than anything. Except for Adam who I think is a closet tie wearer wink. My point is what do you see when you read these boards and what stereotypes do you have?That and, was I close anyone?????? smile And if I am way off...I really didn't mean to insult you, please don't take it that way!!!I look forward to hearing your replies.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 01 February 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

emptysetmember
98 posts

Posted:
i think i might fit in to the steriotype of the person who is completly neurotic about their grades and getting into the college they want to and care about little more that doing well later in life. -wait thats true...damnin the words oh my advance placement european techer once told me ,"your either going to be a great proffessor of history, or a part of some sort of geek think tank."------------------bring light into the night

Its all in good, clean, light producing fun.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey pele,what a really odd story. i am the same way when meeting with potential clients who fit the more corporate image. i do this mostly so i can make them feel safe... call me crazy but i have this idea that if i look like a big geek then they won't be terrified that i'll burn something or someone down....mmmmm stereotypical illusion of safety. ha. as for how you have me pictured... that's funny. i have lots of tattoos, bright red hair, love all sorts of music- classical- ultra lounge- industrial- techno- drum/bass it's all there....clothing styles= mad max-y futuristic anime..... (and a lot of 70's giant polyester pants.) i don't really think i fit into any particular category or stereo type. i'm 25- and a skinny little thing-- maybe malcolm needs to have an area where we can post photo's of ourselves (not lost inside eternal fire rings).... i too have visions of what the message board people look like etc.... :-)i know what diana looks like already.... she's got pictures of herself on her website... either that or i'm stalking her.... :-) i have to agree with your interpretation of simos... i think alien as well. (not in a bad way of course) kerri seems pretty gothy (maybe it was all those posts about giant gothy skirts-hee) to me as well...... anyway- it will be curious to see what the others post...... wow. this might be my longest message on the board yet.....-flavio

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
Stereotype hmmm... I guess perhaps at first glance, punk rocker, but then you have to realize, I've done everything from high school debate (including the suit and tie) to photography and so on and so forth. I often read poetry, and do occasional colunteer work. Yet, I swing, spin and work in an art museum, go figure. You ought to see the look on peoples faces when a guy walks in with bright blue hair and a suit on wink now *that* is a priceless look.-PSM

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Stereotypes!Can of worms time.I'm a Josh. I fit into the stereotype of myself. and I know for a fact that I am the only living example of this stereotype. (as are the rest of you) smileMost ppl would propbly put me in the category of surfer uni student bum. (and in many ways they'd be right). however that mentality is a long way from where I am (I think - given the surfer uni bums I've met). During the day - I'm cybergeek... I provide assistence to less web-skilled individuals than myself, and regualarly liase with clients and project officers and all sorts of corporate and non-corp types.During the night, I twirl, and read science fiction...stuff about on or in the web...go out, drink beer, sleep, shout, whisper..I'm also keenly interested in pharmacology, and so I have long conversations with my gf (grad in pharmaco) on the topic...I'm a uni grad with majors in psych and sociology, minor in politics...I'm also a proficent martial artist...although I understand that really - I am still at the beginning of my martial arts journey (usually it takes til blackbelt for a student to understand that they really dont know anything smile)I am one of 4 key organisers who put on some of the Trance parties here in Adelaide. Sometimes (on a good night) - I'm a decent Chillout DJ.(I also windsurf given enough time).I'm a highly motivated, vego, tranced-out semi-hippy, cyberloving, firetwirling, webgeek...and I love travelling (I'm also internally inconsistent = occassionally hypocritical).soo...what stereotype is that? Well its the Josh stereoype of course, and thats where stereotypes fall down. Cuz most ppl can fit into many different STs at different times...Oh yeah - I have a habit of reducing everything to theoretical bases...correct or incorrect, it's my fun thing (at least - it's one of em)...I feel that stereotypes are a left over from a past age where being able to quickly infer personality characteristics about a person from there physical characteristics was a survival trait. Unfortunately, along with many other antiquated behaviours / cognitions, it still persists in the 'modern' day, when in a lot of cases the use of it is detrimental to the good of the group, and or individual(s) involved. smileJosh-Uni Bum Surfer Dude (and I twirl too!).

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Josh I sooooo agree with you. smileYou're a Josh, I'm a Finn and that's the way I like it.I have to admit however that sub-cultures do fascinate me. I studied leisure management at uni! (it's true, you can study leisure at university). One of our texts was a fantastic book called 'sub culture - the meaning of style' It's a great read if the concept of stereotypes interests you.I found the most interesting thing about sub cultures to be the underlying need that most of us have to belong, and, once we've found a group where we feel comfortable, the need to develop a shared set of beliefs, language, style of dress etc.....I think that our generation has become more individualistic (it's much more important to be 'yourself' than ever before) but we still want to belong..... and people (especially marketers) still want to pigeon hole us. Hence - stereotypes.I read the other day that marketers now have a category for people that don't fit into their categories! winkAaargh!Live your life, be exactly who you want to be, don't give a fuck about what people think of you I say. Wear your blue hair and suit proudly!Finn
Non-Https Image Link
[This message has been edited by Finn (edited 01 February 2001).]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thanks all...this has been great!I couldn't agree more Josh, but trying to figure out where other people could potentially place us gives us an advantage when walking into a situation.As for me, I write really messed up stuff for role playing systems and magazines, I am a die-hard fantacy buff (couldn't tell by the ren stuff right?), sometimes goth, big fan of leather and lace, my favorite poet is Shel Silverstein, I go to PTA meetings, drive a Malibu 4 door, and count some of my favorite moments as people watching with my son because he makes me laugh. By all appearances I am a normal country girl til the wild streak comes out. I am 27, look 24 and act 15. If you wanna see me without the eternal spirals....which haven't been added to the site yet....www.freespeech.org/spiderbladeBe nice in critisisms and realize please that it is not meant to be a fire site at all but one for my friends.I am a creature of mood...including what I read, whether it's by candlelight or electric, the music I listen to, the art I like, what I wear, everything I do depends on my mood.How am I typically stereotyped? Depends on my mood that day and how I present myself.I think that photo's with the profiles would be an excellent addition..bravo for the suggestion Flavio, and btw, isn't that ironic how we try to perform for the corporates in one way (business suited up) just to get a performance to appear a different way? smileThanks all!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 01 February 2001).]

Pele

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Absolutely.an understanding of stereotypes will be neccessary until we have cured this world of them. To be forwarned is to be forarmed. Understanding your enemy is a giant step towards successfully navigating the conflict.In this case, having a good understanding of ppl who stereotype will give you the advantage if you want to get them to do something (or refrain from something).However, Assumption can lead to the longest falls, and the most painful losses . And so I guess thats why when I meet ppl for the first time, I try to work em out, I pander to their needs, while over subsequent meetings I let em see more and more of the real me...that way they can get to know me without me setting off their wierd alarms by giving them a full burst of me at the beginning...Seems to be working (right or wrong) - but tommorrow is a new day with all new challenges. smilePeace, Love and a high Quality PA.Josh

Charlymember
68 posts

Posted:
Hey! I want to see a pic of Diana the Huntress! I've been wondering what her and Pele look like... anyone care to share a url where I can see her?Pele- thanks for posting a link to your site - it's wonderful to put a face with the name. grinCharly------------------www.cabiri.org

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
Hmmm ... categorising hey? ... hmmmIn my wardrobe, i have 3 pairs of black cargos, 10 plain black t-shirts, 3 black long sleeved t-shirts a pair of boots and a torn up black t-shirt which i wear over the top of a black mesh shirt when i'm going somewhere special (project mayhem anyone?) ... i wear my hair in pigtail plaits ... unless i'm going to a business meeting (pigtails don't go over too well with commercial types).I drive a lowered matt black car with silver french curves over the front wheels and down the side. Unfortunately this attracts the attention of official types and i get pulled over for a "random" breath test about once a week. That's fine though ... i don't drink ... i'm sure i'll know all of their names soon.So ... what does that make me.I stray away from "Goth" because they're all a little fragile and i don't wear lace or read/write poetry. Maybe a grunge/gothpunk hybrid ... after all, my torn up clothes do sport a lot of safety pins.Ðraevon.

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Pele, i thought i made it quite clear i didn't want anyone else to know i am an alien!!! grin - maybe that's a good idea actually; i am performing tomorrow night, maybe i'll paint all of my body blue and silver, have my hair really spikey and swing blue and white glowsticks to really strange computerized music - that doesn't sound bad at all; lots of smoke as well, it's beginning to sound good - a performance from another planet wink! i only wish i had more time... wink - oh and by the way, the photos of Noah are a great addition to the site wink, i was wondering what he looked like; he is great!!! he also looks quite adventurous, active and fearless like his mom! (oh did i mention good-looking too?) grinhappy swinging and thanx a lot for the alien idea Pele smile,Simos[This message has been edited by Simos (edited 02 February 2001).][This message has been edited by Simos (edited 02 February 2001).]

HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
stereotypes, huh? what a great opportunity to try to figure out who the hell you are. asking someone what "group" they fit into is like saying, "describe yourself in 5 words or less". ***impossible***!!! (by the way, i was gonna caps lock that word, but someone in this group said that was uncool). winkanyway, i think im kind of in a transitional period where i have no idea where i fit in. but that ain't bad. I like what Josh and FInn said about being Joshes and Finns, and that being plenty. I'm a Bryan. I feel like a very normal person, with a normal name, trying to escape the normal stereotypes and normalness of such a normal world full of normalcy. Maybe that's why i like swinging. cuz no one else around me seems to do it, so it sets me apart. is this hopeless egotism and self-esteem issues, or self-confidence and leadership philosophy? i have no clue. anyway, up until about a year and a half ago, i easily fit into the college jock stereotype. i've been wrestling(no, not WWF-style) for about 12 years, and continued into college. after "retiring"(a *great* way to say "quitting") from wrestling, i've been seeking out somewhat of a new identity or passion. studying abroad(in Australia) opened up my head and heart to thousands of possibilities of things to do with my life. so imn just checking everything out for a while. experience experience experience. thats what life is about for me. whats also funny is that my other athlete-type friends look at me funny now. everyone still expects me to get into fights, make derogatory statements, drink beer till i puke, etc. i tell them i swing fire to techno music and they have no fucking clue who i am. i tell them not to make statements like "That's gay" cuz its offensive to some people, and they look at me like i'm an alien. i tell them im a classical studies major and they check my shirt for a pocket protector. its pretty fun, really, to surprise people who know you one way. we all just have so many sides to us, i guess.alright, sorry about all that. i guess now i'll be stereotyped as the guy who can't shut the hell up. but keep the responses coming, i like hearing what everyone is like besides their poi-related hobbies, you know? its also interesting to put a mental picture with the person's name...i think it was Dangerboy who sent in a "hello" video, and that was kind of cool to put a face with the words and moves we see. maybe whoever submits a pic/video should do something like that along with it. or maybe anonymity is why we feel so comfortable chatting like this to strangers. or maybe..... stop it!!!! blahblahblahblah!!!! stop it Bryan!!!!-Heph[This message has been edited by Hephaestos (edited 02 February 2001).]

Oatsmember
28 posts

Posted:
Hey Guys well i'm new here in the twirling world, i means no ofence to anyone. From what i've seen of twirlers at concerts raves and such like, and from what you guys have said about your acts, there is a lot of dressing up involved. It seems to me that people place twirlers in this steriotyped group based on what they've seen from the preformers.But we all have the desire to play with fire. That could be the group.By the way i'm a surfer by nature and since i work well away from the coast and only really get down there on hols i needed smthing to take its place in way, pois were it and theres no turning back.Take care.

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
Ok this one has got me thinking, how do people look at me? My "signature" attire is a pair of yellow polyester pants, and an old polyester Hawaian(?) shirt. Most of my clothes are vintage except for the black shirt and cargo pants which I also seem to have alot of. But then I manage to come off as a huge geek some of the time. But then as soon as I mention fire swinging, people either go right for it, very interested, or they lookat me like I'm going to beat them senseless as soon as they turn around, which is funny, because I'm not a big (or strong) guy by any means.-PSM

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Wow, Pele, that sounds like a strange experience. Sounds like you shattered some illusions. I'm glad to hear you prevailed and got the job. Hmmm, subdued and sensual. I like that, though I think some friends of mine might have a hard time with subdued. At work, I'm reknowned for my rauchous laughter and my rabble-rousing behavior. In the rest of the world, well, my friends see it all. I've been in so many groups that can be stereotyped, I've come out quite the mutant. My New England roots, all my roots roots really, show in my clothing choices. My punk roots in my from-time-to-time hair dye. My geek roots in my glasses. My activist roots show in my resistance to shaving and makeup. In other words, yes, I'll flatter myself subdued and sensual. But I'm also crass and awkward, too. One I find a bit as a fire performer, particularly as a woman doing eating and transfer, is of being stereotyped a tart. That doesn't bother me that much. And usually, the folx who talk to me after show get an idea pretty quickly of who I am. Or at least I know I've represented myself fully. Psychomonkey, now that's a beautiful picture. I love everything looking "normal" and having one thing all freaky. Yes (figiting nervously), I do have a website with pix. It's at https://www.thompsonart.com/fire.
It's not much, but I did it all the design myself. Diana

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I wear all black when I twirl. This way when my hands turn the same colour as my clothes it doesn't matter so much... =)

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
diana, how do they get the idea of a tart from fire eating? i seriously dont get the link between the two

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
diana i hope you don't mind me correcting your link smile https://www.thompsonart.com/fire/it's
seems that a full-stop accidentally crept in the address there...happy swinging,Simos

Charlymember
68 posts

Posted:
Well, in my experience, the idea that a fire eater is a 'tart' comes from the idea of a sexy, scantily clad woman putting a torch (phallic object?) in her mouth. Even when the reality is that the woman isn't sexy or scantily clad, I think some people jump to the sexual undertones or connotations and conclude that she must be a tart. And a lot of fire eating acts ARE quite erotic, even when they don't try to be.I know that when I see a fire eating act where three women and two men are all feeding each other fire, at least one person in the crowd says something about a 'fire orgy'... ha! And two women feeding each other fire - some lesbian undertones there, perhaps?Think of it this way - the mouth is such a sensual part of the body - the idea of putting fire in it is quite exciting, and 'different' to most people. Anyway, without descending into some sort of 'fire erotica' discussion - I can see why some people would assume fire eating women are tarts. It's a stereotype I've confronted a few times, and I think it just comes with the territory.The troupe I'm in is doing a performance in a couple weeks in which the script we were given involves the women in the troupe taking fire from a tree and feeding it to the men. Some Eve/Garden of Eden stuff going on there, eh? Well, I think most would agree that, as the story goes, Eve didn't just give Adam and apple in that garden, if you know what I mean... ahem. So there's another instance where fire eating becomes a sexual thing, but not necessarily in a bad way. I certainly don't mind being called a 'temptress'... winkCharly------------------www.cabiri.org

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Simos, thanks for catching that! Smitty, well, I don't really get it either. I think it has something to do with the fire and the body aspect. I've been into transfering flame to body for a while. I've ended up wearing fairly revealing customes, because that gives me more skin to work with. A lot of people will tell you they find fire performance in general very sexy. And some will say watching a woman in her power get up on stage and enjoy the sensuality of putting fire on her body and in her mouth is sexy. There's a difference between that, for me, and someone thinking I'm tart because of the way they perceive me. I actually had someone at a gig tell me how erotic he thought my show was and in the next breath how much did I get paid. confusedNow, I don't flatter myself some raving beauty. Nor do I fit into that centerfold sort of body model. I draw on all my energies when I perform. People respond to the energies people put out when they perform. I tend to think that while I'm putting out energies on many levels, some respond only on one level. I tend to think it's less about the act than what's put into it. Have any other women, men for that matter, out there had this kind of encounter? I'd love to know your experiences and how you handled them. BTW, the guy at the gig I thanked him for his appreciation, faking embarassment for his frankness. I also said "depends" when it comes to money. (I'd never tell anyone at a party what I got paid and certainly not in that context.) He also asked if I played with other performers and why I was playing alone. He seemed very impressed though when I told him the venue didn't have the budget to pay anyone besides me. I guess that makes me a high-class tart. wink Diana

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
I loved getting to see pictures of all of you that had them, as I had already built quite a few mental pictures myself. And the reality versus what I had created for myself was like creating a mad-lib out of a newspaper article then comparing the two. - Before I forget, Pele, thank you for the complimentary thought! (But I think you and Simos may have a mental advantage, knowing what I do on the side...)I (as many people)actually more resemble my dog. (a pitt bull) Square-faced, barrel chested, and "athletic" as I am most politely described at the club. This is what happens when a 6'2 Swedish man takes a 5'1 Japanese bride... (my parents) My clothing is a horrid cross between goth and grunge, and mostly purchased with comfort and if-everything-is-the-same-color-then-I-won't-have-to-turn-on-the-light-to-dress... in mind. (If they made wife-beaters and flannel shirts in solid black, I'd be the happiest girl on the planet.) Actually, I'd wonder what Draevon was doing in my closet, if it weren't for the fact that instead of cargos I have Levi's 501's and instead of net shirts I have flannels... "Liz" wears business clothes and glasses to work with her hair in a bun, just to keep them guessing. During the day she has an IT job just to keep her life "real" as it were. (They all know what I do in my spare time {I put the club on my resume, just so there wouldn't be any problems with people "finding out" later.}, and they're just dying to see the other side of me... It's almost like a game now...)And yes Di and Charly, I have experienced some of the same commentary as you, but being as most of my fire performance take place in a strip club, that's to be expected. It's mostly meant to be complimentary (at least in my case) and I generally take it as "Jesse" would, with all the arrogance I can muster. "Jesse" has been at her club for a long time (outlived 3 cycles of management), has lots of high paying customers who protect her reputation rabidly (because if **they** can't get a date even after the thousands they've spent on her, then they know for **sure** that no one else has!!!), and comes and goes as she pleases. She's been asked several times by "newbies" to the club if she thought she owned the damn place - to which she always replies directly. "I DO." Jesse, overall is the most sarcastic, blunt, non-makeup, no-tan, rhinestone-avoiding, pole-master I know. And for some reason, the guys just dig her. (Personally, there are times when even I think she's nuts.)So there I am, for all it's worth. I'd tell you about my medieval personality too, but y'all probably got bored and stopped reading two paragraphs ago. I started separating out my "personalities" several years ago to keep my jobs (I almost lost several because of what Pele first described.) and found that it just made it a lot easier for me when it came time to leave the work at work. Because overall, I like to think of myself as a "Jack-of-all-trades-Master-of-some."

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Yes Di and Charly....I have also encountered those things as well. I have also taken up sword swallowing (don't ask) to try to add by next year to my shows and that *really* comes with an onslaught of comments. Like Jesse, and those of you who checked out my site can attest to this, I have alot of personalities for my jobs, probably more bluntly than most due to the nature of my work. "Pele" takes all these statements with a confident flirtation, while Lynnie (my real name) would blush, say something off handed and change the subject.Thanks all for participating. I have really enjoyed reading through all of your insights and "other" lives. It has made you all more "real" in my eyes. And to those who posted sites, or who have them...thanks for sharing that bit of your life as well. Charly was right in that it helps to put faces to voices.What a wonderful journey! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

ALIBABAmember
52 posts

Posted:
i started reading everyones replies and i think i got to pele's second one.shel silverstein. the perfect high. i will not try and pretend that i can quote correctly but if anyone knows that poem...."Well that is that said bubba fats sitting back down on his stone, looking at spending another thousand years years talking to god alone,it doesnt matter, old man or bright eyed youth,its always easier to sell them some shit than it is to give them the truth"i think these stereotypes we all talk about cross boundarys. different groups of friends probably see me as different things. the people i juggle and spin with will see the practising and at times frustrated me, while the friends i rock climb with see someone who likes a challenge but doesnt really like to get stressed out when i cant do what someone else can.alot of stereotypes are surely just for hiding behind.i am a student studying outdoor studies, i dont smoke. i dont smoke dope during term time as i know what i'm like on it. i drink beer. i love riddles. i am fully in agreement of this stuff we all seem to be on about, just being ourselves but i have a tattoo. i have an eyebrow peircing i am currently wearing big baggy shorts (it is january and i am in the uk) and a brightly coloured hat that i love. it strikes me that most people(oh oh i'm catergorizing) who do any sort of cicus skill are probably an extrovert.(please correct me if i'm wrong)i do know about going for interviews, mine dont actually tend to be for performance positions but i do find that when a potential employer (for the outdoors) askes what other skills you have and you mention unicycling or fire poi it will always leave them something to think about.it matter who you are on the insideoh and by the way i am male (as ali is a name that crosses both genders) ------------------ALIBABACHICKENMANICANSEEYOURUNDERWEAR

ALIBABACHICKENMANICANSEEYOURUNDERWEAR

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
By day, I sit infront of a computer and pump out corporate design (albeit, often to loud techno music wearing bug-shades, sometimes spinning practice poi in the office). By night, I don black cargos and tank top and facial armour and join my troupe in the nearby school field to confuse the general populace with our cavorting and contortions. When I need to transport myself, it's either on blades or on the Mighty Beluga (Victoria's homeliest and butchest motor scooter). When I perform, my most comfortable outfits tend to follow the military/bondage/mad max style. I prefer to wear as little as possible on top (read: tank top, or nothing but chains, or nothing). I like to geek out on SciFi/Fantasy novels and movies, knit, work on the web site, sit with the cat, goto the bar, go to the gym (get fit, check out hot boys, an ideal combination). I have a goggle fetish. I like to expand my consciousness on occassion. I listen to opera, trance, disco, ambient, etc etc. I am my own superhero. If any of this puts me in a category, I'd sure like to know what the hell it is. ------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Dangerboy...it sure does put you in a category.....*a poi-er* tongue(just like the rest of us hapless misfits!! smile)------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 03 February 2001).]

Pele

jessejamesmember
22 posts

Posted:
stereotypes ehi think that more what i have problems with is perceptionin my work(baking eating cooking and designing places to do these things in)i often deal with people who before meeting me have enjoyed food or space that i have designed therefore giving them ample oppprtunity to have a perception of who i am by the way i createso when it comes time for them to meet me they are rarely unsuprised at the beat up flatbed driving jeans and cowboy boot wearin often cursing 23 year old they encounter(i suspect they were expecting a middle aged(please take no offence)homosexual)deffinetly not meoften to the point of disbelieffor me this is the most amusing part of what i doany one else have as much fun with stereo typesmostly i enjoy the ability to be me ALL THE TIMEi also get kicks from folks who get to know me personally and then find out what i do for a livingciaojessejames

burnin down the house

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
all i get from my freinds (since i dont peform) is that i am a piro, but thenew that before, and they want to try it, they dont class me or anything, and now there out in there back yards with there broom sticks! lolhappy twirling people