Forums > Social Chat > dealing with laughter/abuse?

Login/Join to Participate

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I've recently started teaching myself poi and, being the complete beginner but nevertheless addicted to my newfound hobby, I need to practice as much as possible. However, people are getting me down......They laugh, don't take me seriously and mutter (or shout) sly comments (depending on their personal bravery). On the one hand this strengthens my resolve to be better, more accurate and more fluid, but on the other hand it's disheartening and really quite sad.Does anyone else get hassled and how do you deal with it?Ros xx

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

collinsc311SILVER Member
5 posts

Posted:
I learned not too long ago, and I remember a few friends who mocked and jeered. Telling me I was going to burn my damn head off. Basically, just ignore them. Those people have no idea what it is all about. When you light your poi up for the first time, and give them a show they won't forget, then you will have your time of redemption! Keep it up, though. Once you learn a couple of tricks, they will start flowing before you know it!

If we were all affected by Pacman as children we would be sitting in dark rooms, munching pills, and listening to electronic music!

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Hi Ros welcome to HOP. Where abouts in the uk are you? you could do a search on *dealing with jerks*. This very subject was covered quite recently.Onelove, Thistlefirepixie smile[This message has been edited by Thistle (edited 14 December 2001).]

Are we nearly there yet?

**SMILEY**member
6 posts

Posted:
I started twirling about 8 months ago and when i started off, people laughed at me all the time..but you know what..so did I..I think laughing at yourself helps release frustration..and you gotta admit if you saw someone sconning themself in the head and other places that can be very painful to say the least, it would look pretty funny...but if they are actully putting you down, well that is another story..my best advise is to just say "ok why dont you have a go".I have also found that once i had got the knack of it and was doing various moves...all of a sudden guess who wants to start it up...thats right the people who were laughing at you and putting you down...then you get the satisfaction of watching them scooning themselves.Trust me..it will be worth it in the long run smile**SMILEY**------------------"Let's just say I was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. That's all it was: just curiosity." (Morrison in Los Angeles, 1969)

Let's just say I was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. That's all it was: just curiosity. (Morrison in Los Angeles, 1969)

Twirl'N'BurnBooojakasha
121 posts

Posted:
Yer I agree with Smiley. When I first started twirling I would come to school with fresh burns and singed hair (fortunately I soon discovered the beanie) smileNow the two of my friends who laughed the hardest and payed out on me the most come twirling with me just about every friday night. Dont worry about the copouts they disappear once you pick it up.

Simply an excuse to play with fire.

cutie poi girliemember
237 posts

Posted:
hey ros, this happened to me when i first started spinning the only friend who didn't laugh now spins with me all the time...basicly DON'T GIVE UP! YOU ARE GOOD AND YOU KNOW IT! good luck, cpg :P

Luv peace 'n' chicken grease Al X x

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Today I'd just learnt the 5bt after months of trying, when some monkey in a van (not driving a van, mind, just in it) yelled out "You twat!". I looked over and he was grinning out of the car, wiggling his arms about to his mate who was driving.

Pah.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
*DISCLAIMER - UBER OLD THREAD!*

I still get laughed at tho! biggrin

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Sorry! I just thought I'd avoid the whole "Do a Durbs" thing, you know.. smile

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by: nearly_all_gone

some monkey in a van

It wasn't me! honest...

i've had abuse and "funny" comments from a massive cross-section of the public. i've had sneering blokes in suits and posturing yoofs and even an old lady who wasn't sure what i was doing, but was certain i shouldn't be doing it...

It's a cliche, but there really isn't a good way to deal with them other than ignore them.

Just remember that their abuse says much more about them than it does about you.

You tend to only get this kind of hassle if you spin by yourself in public places. Any kind of activity out of the norm can attract adverse attention, that's just a sad fact of life. So if it really gets to you, then maybe you should consider mainly spinning in private or with others.

nice thread fluffy, an oldie but a goodie smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Bretchenthusiast
247 posts

Posted:
Aahhhh, the memories of being laughed at... always remember, what doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger!!!

But then I've been laughed at for a long long time by all kinds... I couldn't really give a rats arse, never have and doubt I ever will. I just smile, chuckle (normally to myself) n nod me head smile

And if your worried the abuse, sticks n stones....????

I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure now.....

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
hey Ros welcome to HoP biggrin

Have you done an [Old link] thread?

Meh

vaperloc...the mightylook @my member
466 posts

Posted:
Hey man my parents give me [censored] about it every time they see it.
*hick assed redneck voice*watinnahellissat? oooo so you spin lights in a circle oooo
what in the hell is the point of that? to which i usually point at the 4x4 truck in the driveway and note the uselessness of doin circles in the mud.( although I enjoy that too)

There are no obstacles only challenges.
Very funny scotty now beam down my pants.
[colour."green"}What would willie do?

AHH theres too many wee leprechauns i cannae squash them all