sammiemember
56 posts

Posted:
Are meteors on one long chain or two seperate ones like poi, and has anyone got any DIY recipies?? winkSpammie

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
my understanding is that it's one long chain with either wick or a know or some other weighty thing at either end. It's length should be twice the distance from your belly button to the ground. I've never played with one, but have found some scanty resources on the net. I'm kind preoccupied with double staff, nunchuks, and cross at the moment. Meteors will have to wait until the spring.

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
i think what Dangerboy said is correct Sammie...it's a long piece of chain with a wick (or something heavy) on both ends and i think it's quite hard to learn as well - if i remember it was Xaeda who had tried using one and found it harder than staff or poi... so if you read this Xaeda shed some light in this please wink ? are you still using meteors or not??? any other meteor swingers out there??? Dangerboy - how are nunchuks? are they easy to use if you can already swing Poi? i remember you saying you can do nice behind the back stuff with them - are you learning it properly (martial arts way) or trying to translate Poi moves to nunchuks?happy swinging,Simos[This message has been edited by Simos (edited 16 December 2000).]

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
I tried one briefly at a juggling festival about a month ago. It was interesting. Feels similar and yet different than poi. I tried to go behind the back and that did NOT cooperate...hehe =)Seems as if you could do some interesting things with bodywraps, switching hands and hand positions, and all of that...Theres a bit of information on meteors (along with poi, staffs, etc.) here:https://www.blanketfort.com/juggling/

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have tried them and have put them on hold prolly until my performance season for 2001 is over....need to focus on that right now cool HOWEVER...I do occassionally pick them up....this is what I use..was taught to use. Though traditionally it is bowls on either end of one long chain, I use a length of catherdral chain about 8 feet in length with poi on each end. I have yet to light them up mainly because they are harder than poi or fire chain but kind of like them combined. I want to give it at least a couple months steady practice before I even attempt anything tricky. I'd like to get it down but I need to focus on what's on my plate before trying a new dish. frown Damn responsibility!!!!Hope it helps...take care! Remember...beat the guest..not yerself! They tend to like it more wink ------------------PeleHigher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
hey smileWhat I was doing was just my two poi with the handles connected (put each poi head through the handle of the other and pull them tight). I still do it occasionally, but it's slow progress. The main thing I learnt is that you don't need to use a lot of force, even though it feels like you should. It's more about accuracy, you have to flick your wrist at the right time, have your hands exactly symmetrical, etc. Have a dig around on www.foreworks.com, i know there's something there about meteors. Quidity's site has some info too. have fun,x

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey all...it's really funny that's exactly what i tried to last night after reading Sammie's post Xaeda - i tied my Poi together but unfortunately they were not long enough i think (i use realtively short chains) so what i did then was get a long piece of really thick electricity wire (the one that has another 3 wires in it if you know the one i mean) and tied a double knot in each end; then got out in the cold at 2 in the morning (!) and tried it out - fortunately there was noone watching since i was pathetic in the best of cases; i'll tell you what i did anyway:- the easiest thing seemed a horizontal circle over my head - i managed to get it briefly in a couple of occasions but most of the time i ended up spinning round and round and getting dizzy smile and both ends were coming together instead of being opposite to each other- second thing i tried was a weave; this i managed to do quite easily but it wasn't perfect either and anyway i don't have a clue of if i was doing it the way i am supposed to (it was fun anyway wink ) . i have to agree with Xaeda, it doesn't need a lot of force but accuracy is dead important since the meteor's momentum keeps it going (especially if it's a bit on the heavy side like mine) but you have to be accurate on when to change the direction with your wrists and stuff like that - once you get it wrong you'll know smile , the thing gets out of balance and everything goes wrong- if you want to try it out and try a weave for example my advise would be to have your hands well apart (they must be symmetric about the centre at least for simple stuff i figured) and try and do it; this way you have more control and you can 'force' it back to being balanced when you get it wrong; as you do the move you can slowly slide both of your hands towards the centre and if you get the balance and timing right you'll see that the whole thing remains straight- i'll give it some more practise today and i maybe i shouldn't be giving advise with just an hours practise and having not being taught by anyone so please correct me if what i am saying is wrong (probably is) so Sammie don't blame me if you end up with a meteor wrapped around your head or something wink - i got the feeling that if i knew a bit about staff i would find meteor easier - is this true???- i just checked out on of the sites and to my amazement i realized i've seen meteors before - Sammie you might have seen it on TV -does this ring a bell: 'Fire meteors traditionally consist of two [inward facing] small bowls, connected by a length of rope or chain, into which fuel [or water] is poured and then lit.' haha no wicks, just liquid fuel is what they used originally, that should be fun - one mistake and the whole room is on fire (literally)... well it also said on the site that it's quite easy to injure yourself so maybe you shouldn't take my advise above seriously and find someone to teach you instead (this would be nearly impossible for this side of the planet at least i guess frown ),anyways happy swinging and good luck (you'll need it hehe smile ),Simos[This message has been edited by Simos (edited 16 December 2000).]

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
Hey Simos. To answer your question about nunchucks; I've put them down for now. I think they have potential, but I'd ratehr focus on double staff and cross (I'll do a real post about cross in a day or two, it rules!). I found a site that has character animations from a martial arts game. There's a sweet one for a staff-weilder (it's inspired me), and there's one for nunchucks and double nunchucks. Give thm a boo at https://192.41.49.155/movies.html
They're pretty sweet.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
I tried making a meteor after reading about them at quiddity. took a long piece of light chain and attached my practice poi (tennis balls) to the end. most poi tricks can be emulated although the meteor has much 'hidden' stuff i'm eager to try. it feels like a very unco-operative staff when you get a weave or horizontal circle right. i have also played a bit with assymmetrical poi-like patterns. meteor = higher grade.when i read they have bowls of fuel at the ends i just laughed and laughed and laughed grin

sammiemember
56 posts

Posted:
(5) theory of.... smile

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I do meteors quite a lot, here's a link to a beginners meteor FAQ I wrote: -

https://www.poiinthepark.net/modules.php?name=News

meteors are great, not massively difficult but not easy either.

A good grounding in poi will help a lot.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I've just realised that I've resurected a thread that's three years old!

It happened in the confusion of the new board cos I somehow seem to have reversed the time order of 'social discussion' threads.

Was deeply confused for a while but I've messed around in my settings section and it seems to be working now. smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
yeah i made some meteors a little while ago, started off as 7 foot of chain with fire on each end, then i have shortened the chain to a reasnoble length and made a 'metteorite' basically insert a bit of wood at the centre point, as i was going from poi moves to staff spins i kept losing the centre point, this will help a lot, progress is better with a stick.
just try inserting staff spins into weaves is a good way to start.
smit

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter