Page:
DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Whilst perusing (great word, poor spelling) these boards, I've noticed that the majority of peoples musical taste is towards trancey dance, drum n bass, tribal kind of staff. Whilst I always spin to this music it's nothing like what I regularly listen to and I was just curious if anyone else here is in to more sort of rock-y, live stuff? Or if my music is a bit sort of outsider-ish for the stwirling scene. My favourite bands are Placebo,Smashing Pumpkins, Ben Folds Five and No Doubt. Worryingly 2 of those have split up...I know it's an all-embracing art form and all are welcome but I was just curious.Oh, and here I blush, what does PLUR stand for?Peace, Love, Unity & Respect is my guess...------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble Words to memerise, words hypnotise, words make my mouth exercise.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
I do like good progressive techno for dancing, but I also listen to a lot of kinda light rock bands as well, Nirvana, Pearl jam, Live, Chilli peppers, spiderbait, matchbox20, etc, pink floyd, beatles,Led zepplin r a few of my favorites oldies rock as well as all the ones u mentioned, in fact the pumpkins were one of my first big tastes in music. Rock on!

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

Chakanmember
68 posts

Posted:
I like the whole trance/tribal stuff rave/techno/drum and bass not for me unless its really hard pumping techno. Mainly I listen to pink floyd, nick cave, souxie and the banshees, sisters of mercy, dead can dance, this mortal coil, limp bizkit, springbok nude girls, blk sonshine, tori amos, sublime, the mission, cubnate, velvet acid christ and I also like reggaepretty diverse[This message has been edited by Chakan (edited 12 December 2001).]

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
Dandy Worhols, Feeder, My Vitriole, Death In Vegas, nuff said.------------------"The tincture of night began to suffuse the soup of the afternoon. He considered the sentence, and found it good. He liked 'tincture' particularly. Tincture. Tincture. It was a distinguished word, and pleasantly countered by the flatness of 'soup'. The soup of the afternoon. Yes. In which may be found the croutons of teatime."

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
My Vitriol - Woo Hoo!!

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I rather enjoy a hearty polka.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I'm another Dandy Warhols fan, 13 tales from urban bohemia is in my cd player right now in fact.I'm also a great fan of supergrass, super furry animals, pink floyd, bjork, the propellerheads - stuff like that more than drum and bass or trance type stuff.------------------Bovril - It's liquid cow y'know

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yay - and I thought I was alone with my wacky Live music tastes :P

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
my fav to dance to used to be drum n bass/electronicbut last saturday i had the most amazing and fulfilling night dancing to loreena mckennitt and this brazilian music. so awesome. electronic music is definitely taking a back seat

Wow

DömAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
No such thing as outsider-ish for the twirling scene. Although I notice that there's no perfect pop fans out there. Anyone into Steps, S Club 7, Westlife?For me, all sorts of music make the world go round: electronic techno (esp. 80s influenced), found sound manipulation, psy trance, acid techno, hard house, some rock and indie stuff. I no longer listen to Iron Maiden and AC/DC wink

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
Oh I would have to say that the Eels are one of my favourites!! Along with the Muttonbirds, radiohead, pink flyod, green day, weezer, Massive Attack, leftfield, orbital, propellerheads, Cake, Machine gun fellatio, alex loyd, The pixies, just to name a few!! I do love a good bit of progressive trance too though!!------------------fe fi foo fun

fe fi foo fun

Urban_Culturemember
89 posts

Posted:
I used 2 be the smashing pumkings bigest fan.n i used 2 love rock! even the goth stuff like mazza and cradle of filth.BUT I H8 IT NOW. HOW THE HELL DO U SPIN 2 SHUCH CRAP!I GOT 3 WORDS 4 U ALLTECHNO, TECHNO and more fuking TECHNO!

blue_flameBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
urban_culture, I dont know if you were joking but depending on your style you can spin to whatever pleases you...techno leads itself to quick movements, but theres plenty more ways to spin...just think you should watch your aggresive comments before the HoP crew spews off a list of reasons to be nice on forums... smile keep spinning, but respect everyones musical taste.Chris

Defy Gravity!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Erm yes uban_culture, watch what you say. You'll upset people talking like that. It's also advisable not to write in capitals - it's not very friendly and there are much easier ways to make your point.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
The Levellers, The Pogues, Rev Hammer, Reel Big Fish, Senser, Pop Will Eat Itself, Great Big Sea, Barenaked Ladies, Christy Moore, Eddie Reader.

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
For me it's mostly industrial music: Skinny Puppy, Frontline Assembly, Collide, Battery and so on. But I really like bands like The Reverend Horton Heat, Tori Amos, Dead Kennedies, Misfits, Beethoven, Jhonny Cash, and the Hillbilly Hell Cats. Not too big on most of the swill they've been playing on the radio out here. I can only take so much Ozzy and Metalica, drives me freaking nuts.

Jesus helps me trick people.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
ooops, forgot to mention IncubusExcept maybe Morning Glory...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DömAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
Actually something like Incubus is probably better to spin to than relentless beats. Fast and slow bits to tracks allows a variety of spinning styles to be used close together. (Durbs - I reckon Morning Glory was released too soon after Make Yourself, always a bad sign!)I don't like music too fast. I'd prefer something in the middle, like Miss Kittin and the Hacker.uban_culture is what I call a musical fascist, it's a shame there's any of them about, but unfortunately there is frown He's probably just listened to too much loud techno. It's also played havoc on his spelling!

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

jentheroomember
7 posts

Posted:
Personally in the privacy of my bedroom i love to practise to lovely funk or fat dubby sounds which are ideal for learning staff.With poi I need banging hard house/trance.jentheroo

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Oh and Lamb for ambient spinning

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
uban_culture is only young (16). Maybe he'll grow up a bit when he grows up a bit.

Meh

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Incubus rulesand I reckon it's great to spin to too (especially the slower tracks for a beginner like me....)The rest of the time I listen to everything from Morcheeba to Hendrix, Starsailor to Satriani and Vai, Feeder, Pink Floyd, Propellerheads, Roni Size, Leftfield, ...... you name it. Durbs + Alternativa ... is it not Morning View? (not morning glory?) I notice the same names come up time and again though....hhmmmmmm.......twirlers seem to have the same sort of music appreciation (something in the genes?)Ros xxx

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Who are Starsailor exactly? I've heard them mentioned quite a bit. But i don't read the music papers or listen to the radio so these things tend to pass me by....~~~~~~~C@ntusHappily ill-informed

Meh

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Some whining bloke who sounds like a cross between out-of-tune bagpipes and a cat being run over slowly by a steam-roller. Whilst back by some wonderfully dull and samey acoustic shlock rock/indie. Poo.You might of guessed I'm not a fan of StarsailorAlthough straingley alot of people are. Whatever floats your boat wink------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble Words to memerise, words hypnotise, words make my mouth exercise.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

catboymember
167 posts

Posted:
some of you people should come to my next house party... (date to be thought up...) i am quite good friends with zia from the dandys and my sister dates gaz's brother from supergrass... my last house party had to be abandoned when the student neighbours noticed gaz mick and danny in the back garden playing caught by the fuzz on old guitars and dustbins, plus zia moshing the flowerbed in a state of drunken abandon and stormed over the fence... its still lying on the ground which gives me a nice amount of space for twirling things round my head in next doors garden!

you can take the cat out of the jungle, but you cant take the jungle out of the cat

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
While I am quite into Techno and House music for parties, I like listening to lots of other stuff too. Eg: No Doubt, Space, Metallica, NMA, I once went through a mad phase of loving Oasis but can't stand it now. Also I like lots of old obscure hippy bands that no-one else has heard of eg: String Driven Thing. I used to be a total rock chick long ago so like all the usual heavy metal bands. IMHO the most amazing music to twirl to is dijeridoo.

Are we nearly there yet?

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Can I pause for a moment to pay my respects to SUBLIME! grin grin grin Also a big fan of the Chilis, Blind Melon, STP, old Korn and Bizkit, Sublime, 311, TOOL.Anything with Energy. I can't stand 99% of anything that has come out within the past 5 years.But all this is moot. The only thing that I listen to with any regularity is party music. grin Can't stand the background music styles, but some good progressive hard house or trance always pushes my buttons! grin UK shit is usually better. Drum-n-Bass grin, but not a whole lot of jungle. And always some phat-ass Florida funky breaks! coolI seem to operate the opposite of most of the other people on this board. I have to be 'in the right mood' to listen to normal guitar and vocal music. tongue------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---[This message has been edited by glowshow (edited 14 December 2001).]

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

GaBBeRave19member
72 posts

Posted:
if u got audiogalaxy download DJ Promo - Shut upits like a hardcore nodoubt techno mix at 190 beats per minute so its quite a workout. i got probably 3000 techno mp3 im addicted oyea and i remember sumbody wanted to know wut that song wuz in that winterfest video but i hadnt seen it yet but the song is Ayla Part 2more specifically the end of the Ayla Taucher Remixone of my favorite songz 2 spin 2 is I Feel Loveits a badass rave high energy song

claremember
82 posts

Posted:
oo-ee! the Eels! SO last summer (every party i went to last summer they played the eels).im a local lovin kiddie. rhibosome (okay, theyre dance moozak), autopilot, klippspringer, turnstyle, the now defunct beaverloop, the jebs, prawns with horns...alzo, placebo, the cure, david bowie, cake, they might be giants, NIN....hmmm

Chotysmember
91 posts

Posted:
When it comes to music, often you start twirlin to the music that you like but if you want a real challenge try taking on a different genre. I love goth rock (cradle of filth etc.) and stuff like TOOL and Soulfly, but i recently started trying techno and it is so awesome when you twirl a few routines to something like trance then change to something with faster beat. So try using more than one genre to dance to. Just a thought...:Chotys:

earthdreamermember
116 posts

Posted:
love what moves you ,guys...found Itch-e and Scratch-e, Gerling, The Visitors, Finley Quay, Marley Bob, and i love my Dub, can't live without ma dub...salmonella dub, and the old crew yeah, King Tubby, Horace Andy, Tappa Zuchi...get into the Aus music..Pnau, 2Dogs, Resin Dogs, Shin-ke Row, Gota Cola, Om, George, The Avalanches....it is all pretty special...

Page: