Forums > Social Chat > I hate crowd as judges....

Login/Join to Participate

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Today i went to a tournyi was the firts one... start dancing the ppl like it.. i heard while i was dancing... Even the Dj said whoa! that man got it... he is really good!The second was my friend... ppl liked it too... and he is really good in my humble opinion!...Third guy... just did the weave and turn thats what he did all the 3 min of dancing... yeah he had a LOT of crowd friend of him... he was a crap... even the dj was talking with the other dj while he was dancing cause was boring tongue i saw it and laugh Now WTF???!?!!? why this is soo unfait!!! i hate this... i even dance sometihng that wasnt trance fallowed the music... and yeah the last guy they put him the music he said!!(well i should have told the dj too but i though it was withouth choosing music!) After it the dj said well without crowd as judges to make it fair! but no the friends of the guy that just does the weave and turn start yelling loud and he couldnt do nothing... blah this sucks! now i love this and i have lot of fun! but also ithink this kind of stuff sucks a lot...

Dance like if noone were watching you

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Personally, I'd be wary of tournaments and remember "It's not the winning.." yadda yadda yadda...Does it really matter? If you know you were the better of the lot, the DJ's agreed with you then surely that's enough. Just because the other guy had a bigger following and won doesn't make it unfair...Anywayz, *@#% it! It shouldn't be a competition in the first place.]My, what a garbled response

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Yeah but was 500 bucks the 1 prize!you wouldnt be a lil mad if you know you could win it and you dont win it just cause the other crappy dancer got lot of ppl to cheer him? :P

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I wish they had poi tournaments around here...------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
maybe but you woulnt win even if you better than any other... i mean if the crowd is the judge... will win the man with more crowd... blah i needed that money :P i need new clothes! smileAnyhow im going to other tourny this saturday me and yashiro... to see if for a miracle of god they made it fair or something....[This message has been edited by NightShade1 (edited 12 December 2001).]

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Nightshade, I think you need to expect this sort of thing to happen more often than not. It's just the way the world is, especially with events like this."better" and "worse" are two very subjective terms.The crowd may not have known anything about poi, but known the guy personally, in which case, they would have been more entertained by his performance than anyone elses because they know his face, and can associate with it.Which, unfortunately, means they enjoyed themselves more, and, as a crowd basis, that makes him the winner.If some guy came up there and did the most amazing technical tricks ever seen, the non-poi crowd wouldn't know it was hard, wouldn't be impressed, and so the guy they know would still win.This is just an exmaple, and there are many more ways to look at it than just one.Unfortunately, though, this is the way things are. I personally would be very careful about saying your performance was "better" than another person's and then getting all angry and spiteful because you didn't win. Even if all he did was a 3 beat weave, he entertained the crowd more, through fair or unfair advantages, so he deserved to win a crowd vote...Especially if this was at a venue that benefits from numbers, then the more friends who come to watch him, the more the venue makes and the more money he is worth to them.Just be happy in yourself because your definition of what is "better" fits your own performance, and that is something to be proud of.As for "needing" the money...Do you know any history on the guy who won? maybe his mother is sick and needs an operation, or he's about to get kicked out of his flat coz he hasn't paid the rent. You may need the money, but he might actually need it more, there's no way of knowing...Not trying to be negative, just trying to explore all possibilities, rather than just focus on one area of the situation.Peace, love and mungbeans.------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
JUSTDO THEWEAVEFAST wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

yashiromember
77 posts

Posted:
Well in my opinion, it was a more like a who pleases the people competition =)if it were a contest like malcom did, man... he wouldn't even appeared in the video, just weave & turn & fast butterfly.Dunno, that's all babeDoes physics play an important part of this?like if the girl is good looking and just know how to do the weave? or a good looking guy doing figure 8....? wtf, or the way you dress? those are indirect points to get...

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Sorry charles but dont come me with that kind of crap tongue i know that might be true buthe KNEW those chicks and those guys that were cheering him!!!i mean whne i was dancing and i did the BTB weave and turns the ppl where like Waoooo!!!!! and other stuff i did...now he just did the wweave and turn thats all and nothing else and the ppl never said wao and nothing! even the dj though he sucked tongueim sure that my poing was better...!i know what you mean... cause i know a guy a friend of mine that just do the weave windmill and some other sutff i do more but his dancing is Damn great!!! he knows how to use sooo good those move he knows! but thats him... and you just gotta see him man... how happy he is when he is poi dancing! hahaha =) he is cool i know what you mean charles but in this case that wasnt the case if you know what i mean... Even when we were signing up we had the 3 guys... one was a friend of mine and the other were other guy i knew from a party...and then the guy came and say he wanted to get in but just 3 guys can be on the contest in one night so the guy that were signing us said no... and the girls and all his friends start like noooooooooo let him join let him join blah blah blha blha... and one of us not my friend the other said well ok i will get out...but i dont know if you see the point of all im saying... that tourny seems more of this....who brings more ppl to cheer you instead who is the best glowstick dancer thats my point of all im saying and thats the part i hate![This message has been edited by NightShade1 (edited 12 December 2001).]

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
Life, in general, is not fair. In this case the guy got into the contest and won because he had more friends there than you and the other guy. A club and DJ's job is to make as many people as happy as possible (and make money from doing so). So if he had more friends there and people were cheering then they'd call him the winner to keep the most people happy. They don't really care too much who was the better spinner.The DJs probably know that he wasn't as good, but they were not proper, impartial judges. If you enter a second rate competiton without proper judges and rules be prepared for unfairness. It sucks, but it happens.Dom

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001734.htmlthis
is the second time in one month that this has happened to you/you have witnessed it happen Nightshade... perhaps if you are so perturbed by it, then avoid competing in this 'unfair' arena?[This message has been edited by flash fire (edited 13 December 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
i just thought id also point out that even some of the hardest moves to do, are not all that much of crowd pleasers, i mean damn, BTB weave with turns is fricking hard, and i give mad props to whoever can do it because i know how difficult it is, but in the dark, to a non-poier, it looks basically the same as a regular weave. From my experience the biggest crowd pleasers are actually some of the simpler moves, the weave for example, ever impressive to the non poier, for some reason people are absolutely astounded by anything done with butterfly, overhead, turning with it, whatever, they really like when you lie down with the butterfly going, oh that and one handed butterfly, which again isnt that incredibly difficult compared with some other moves. So yeah, i say if youre dealing with a crowd for the first time, stick with the simple good looking stuff, but if you go back a second time, you might wanna throw in some new harder stuff so they wont get bored, and plus if theyve seen it before, they will start to get a sense of difficult moves requiring talent versus those that dont, so yeah, theres my little two cents...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Flash that was before when my friend Yashiro was on the contest now that i participate happened me the same stupid thing...and well i was lazy to go and find my old topic so i just opened a new one tongueAnd Whiffle Squeek no it doesnt look like a regular weave when you do the BRB weave and turns.. it looks different depending on the angle you see it... and this isnt about the BTB weave... i mean ppl liked it a lot tho... the problem was the guy with lot of ppl cheering him sucked tongue

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
argh, way to completely miss my point Nightshade1 wink i was merely saying that it doesnt take all that much to please a non poiing crowd, you can have absolutely no talent, and still be impressive to them, but hey, im not disagreeing withyou or anything, i completely understand, and its happened to me before and itsannoying as hell, it all depends onthe popularity base of the other person...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!