Forums > Social Chat > Oooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Zeduahmember
11 posts

Posted:
Well I was just outside practicing for the first time in like 2 weeks and after like 5 minutes I whapped myself across my forehead and right ear with the left cable... my ear feels like it should be bleeding but it doesn't appear to be.... wait, there might be some sensation returning now..... OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Chakanmember
68 posts

Posted:
Hi I love and hate this topic, good to see other people also do it and bad cause it brings back the memories of me doing it. The worst was at a pool club and we went outside to practise a bit and I managed to nail myself twice is a matter of seconds and tried to walk/shamble to a bench and sat down trying to catch my breath was not a good expierence.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
unlit poi. corkscrew. head. hit hard. fall to knees. writhe with pain. get up, get ready, go out. spend night with eyeballs rolling back in head, feeling sick, forgetting ends of sentences.leanr later this is called concussion boys and girls.

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
I reckon the worst poi for injuring yourself are the beaming poi, although at least as they're smooth they don't break the skin!Worst for me was doing a silly speed contest in a club, me and a staffer going mad over the music, which kept speeding up. My beaming poi caught on my elbow and ended up smacking into my eye. We're talking cartoon style stars and birds flying round my head!Loose cathedral wicks hurt less than core wicks, only a couple of times have they had me rolling on the floor in pain after hitting that most sensitive of areas!

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

alleykatmember
49 posts

Posted:
I have always been shocked at the number of people who recommend tennis balls for practice poi... I used to play tennis, and I played a serve and volley game mostly, so I was always rushing then net and getting beaned in the head and chest with high speed forehands and lemme tell you - tennis balls are not soft. Ya know, it's funny - I don't think I've ever hit myself in the crotch when doing poi, although I am forever whacking my shoulders, face, and head. This pattern is getting pretty interesting... ------------------this little light of minei'm gonna let it shine...

this little light of minei'm gonna let it shine...

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
My mum (who at first said that poi swinging was "pretty") threatened to confiscate my poi as I was swinging unlit chains bareback in the garden and clobbered myself many times and had welts cuts and bruises across my back. I just thought the wick buffered it but oh no - my back was torn to shreds (BLOODY BTBW's!!) and she was worried the neighbours might shop her for abuse!!I also dont think she was too pleased about the fact that most of her flowers were now headless!! OOOPS!!!

poiboymember
22 posts

Posted:
About 6 mos. ago I made a tennis ball practice set, and was trying a neck wrap at what seemed like a relaxed speed. However, I was not accostomed to the move, and so I got hit in the mouth and adams apple. OW. I got a cut lip and a rope burn on my neck, and had to rediscover how to swallow.Also about the nads, why is it that speed doesn't seem to matter? I have hit myself many a time there, fast and slow, and I would say that slow (or at least fair to middlin) shots hurt more.

gabey_babymember
1 post

Posted:
Well I am still not quite sure exactly how it happened or even what I was attempting to do. Imagine spinning full speed totally lost, la de da, turn, turn, turn, SLAM glo stick right up the nose.My Septum piercing survived this incident, amazingly enough!Have since then tried spinning poi with a bicycle helmet, can't logically explain that one either.Cheers all,gabrielle

Dougalmember
11 posts

Posted:
So far the silliest story i have to tell is from Last Saturday Night, I was doing a club gig (My First EVER! loads of twats got in the way though!). I tend to change the length of my poi when I'm twirling by wrapping them round my hand. . . after a little while one of my fingers begins to hurt, but I carry on going! (doh!) I stop twirling and go to the changing room only to find that I had SKINNED one side of my finger!!!! I still cant type properly!!!------------------The world always looks better when ur unconcious! (well i think so, i dont know about ne 1 else!)

The world always looks better when ur unconcious! (well i think so, i dont know about ne 1 else!)

Pixiemember
8 posts

Posted:
My partner had a brilliant 'poi take revenge' moment when doing the butterfly btb. He wears sunglasses because his eyes are light sensitive. Anyways, he's spinning them, elbows in teh air, both wrap around his elbows locking them into place, one swings round to knock the sunnies off, then the other comes round to clock him between the eyes.And the suggestion I was given for learning/pracitising poi- long socks or stockings with a rolled up pair of socks in the toe, this advice from a friend who went straight to the metal thing adn ended up with many extra bumps on her head.

FTA- Fire Twirlers AnnonymousIt's not just an act, it's an addiction

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
Hint to make practice Poi softer - cut the tennis ball up a bit! My practice Poi have tennis balls inside them, and I've cut a couple of 2 inch long gashes in them. Much softer!Also I can see how socks in stocking would work, but I've swapped my 'proper handle' poi with stocking twirlers and they've always found mine a lot easier to twirl. Depends upon the design I suppose.

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

Page: