Forums > Social Chat > Where to go now ? - starting fire poi

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
HeliumDreamermember
39 posts

Posted:
Hiya all,I'm officially hooked after only a few months, but I'm not sure what to do. I saw one of my bro's friends doing a fire-poi show at a party we had and I was mesmirised by the energy and beauty of his performance. I now have some practice poi of my own and have been practising the moves from this site for about two months. I only wish i didn't have to study in between (poi has become an incentive for me to do my work, and I get to practice if I finish all my studies!!). However, although i can do individual moves I'm not sure where to go from there or when I should think about fire poi (my ambition at the mo.) I don't think I know enough about it to start on my own so if anyone lives in my area (Devon/Dorset, UK) or can give me any tips on how they got started I'd love to here from you.I think fire poi looks wicked and I'd love to start as soon as possible so tips much appreciated.Ros xxx

Amanjiramember
6 posts

Posted:
Parrafin and Lamp Oil, are sooo damn expensive here in Aus, well in Sydney they are anyhow... Or it may just be where I shop?? The group i spin with use either Kerosene or Turps, though smelly, dirty and the like, its cheap and it comes off with a bit of soap quite easily...Kevlar wicks are probably the better wicks, as they dont need much attention, they last quite long, and dont do that annoying fuel transfer from wick to skin, it absorbs it pretty well.I started when one of my friends got a staff for his b'day from his g/f, and we were all stunned at this marvellous sight of fire... That was about 8 months ago now... smile------------------Twirl hard, or go home...

Spin hard, or go home...

HeliumDreamermember
39 posts

Posted:
Am soooooooooo looking forward to 'the big day' now. Glad I've started this thread as I've learned a lot of stuff that you guys probably don't think about now but makes the whole world of difference to a beginner. (eg. how long to soak wicks, which fuels....)Will let you know how it goes! grin grin grin - HD xxx

HeliumDreamermember
39 posts

Posted:
YIPPEE!!I have just had my first fire-poi experience and it went perfectly. I got my mum (!?!) to stand by with safety stuff + damp towel and took it real easy and had a fantastic spin! grin smile grinA couple of things surprised me though, like how noisy fire is but it was amazing + I was pretty comfortable. Thanks for all your advice - my mum was pretty impressed i'd done the research and stuff.WAHOOOO! I've done it and it was soooo much fun!! Fire is so wicked - but I will not Ever forget to respect it.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Ooh well done!! grinWelcome to the family....

Meh

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Very cool! Welcome to the Fire Tribe! One of the cool things about fire is that sound as it spins past, and first hearing that quiet roar is excellent!And also a great example of getting your parents in on the act!

HeliumDreamermember
39 posts

Posted:
Now all I need is somebody to spin with frown - am very tired of spinning on my own frown

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Nix lives near you I think. Contact Nix. Seems simple to me.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
*wonders if Miss Helium Dreamer ever found anyone else to spin with*

Sorry for being so curt with you though. Who knew eh?

Meh

HeliumDreamermember
39 posts

Posted:
I see you're not as dismissive nowadays C@ntus.

Whatever posessed you to drag up this thread anyway? I thought it'd dropped off the edge of the world by now!

RoGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
I've just popped in to take a look...

I must admit you doing a hell of alot better than when I first started. Someone just GAVE me their flaming poi and I was gutsy enough to take it from them without even knowing what the hell I was doing. (I lit my shirt on fire)

Now I know better... My words of advice, wear a hat if you got long hair.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I was just looking through your old threads O Helium one. And felt i needed to apologise for being so brusk with you.

Meh

Page: