Page:
Neph23BRONZE Member
62 posts

Posted:
Weeeeeee!! *giggles* Id like to say hello before I fall in to my question. Sooo Hello *waves* smile I have JUST started spinning poi. I think I might be sneaking up an a whole month of practice now. So far I've got the basic moves down and I kick ass at smacking myself in the head.... Anyhoooo, I decided to video tape myself spinning so I can see how I look doing this. Before I saw this tape I was like hey I think this is pretty good, weee, dizzy ... after watching the tape, I feel I need to speed up what Im doing It looks kinda, well, slow.... and that brings me in to my question.. Is speed important in spinning? I know Im new to this, and speeding up right now will probably make me look like I've been in a fight... but how important is the super fast ninja look? and second ... did that make any sense?Im quite happy I have found this place smile Its helping me out quite a bit and so far I have enjoyed reading this board... Im looking in to purchasing the video tapes soon, Id really like to see all the other moves people are talking about.....------------------

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Why spin away like a mad thing and wear yourself out quickly when you can spin with style, grace and panache?Just a thought.Check NYC's "just do the weave real fast" thread------------------C@ntusIn the past, the fools would pay, to see the freaks of the day. The contradictions of the norm. The bizarre, the wonderful and deformed.No need for the tents and the cages now. The wool is over our eyes. In front the TV circus - a freakshow in disguise.

Meh

GaBBeRave19member
72 posts

Posted:
why not spin with grace technique style and speed...learned in that order otherwize it will look horrible, speed comes naturally

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
*sigh* I came here thinking that we were going to have a nice bit of newbie bashing. Ah well.What's the difference between a trampoline and a newbie?You take you shoes off to jump on a trampoline.I'll get me coat

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Is there a trampoline? Malcolm is so good to us...*goes off to look for the trampoline*

Meh

xLessThanJakexmember
155 posts

Posted:
Mad your all MAAAAAAAD, ohhh trampoline.------------------Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi

Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
That was an extract from "Ode to a Mad Trampoline" by Fire_Sista

Meh

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I've read that - I thought I was the only one! Man, what an end chapter when he finds out that the trampoline was his son and all the time he thought it was his ex-wifes long forgotten postman's dogs sisters owners brother! How did that last line go:..."And remember Marco - Just because it's green it don't meant you shouldn't check before you cross" or something like that, bought a tear to my eye I can tell you------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble Words to memerise, words hypnotise, words make my mouth exercise.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
*BLINK BLINK*It's all about the flow, baby. And not smaking your self in the head, cuz when you smack your self in the head then they're al gonna laugh at you.*MEAW* *MEAU*

Jesus helps me trick people.

Neph23BRONZE Member
62 posts

Posted:
So the moral of the story is to speed up gracefully but don't ware yourself out while jumping on a trampoline or possibly being jumped on.... I think... grin

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
Oh no, NephThe moral of the story is that no matter what topic you have submitted, eventually everyone forgets rule number 1.And im not saying this is a bad thing. Just realise that especially with cantus on the board you may have to look a little harder for answers to your question.As for the trampoline.....isn't that the one where they chain it up turn around for five seconds and snake is trying steal it for "a new bed"........oh no wait......thats the simpsons. wink

Good on usGood on us all

Belgarathmember
51 posts

Posted:
Caution! Actual Responce in Progress.Speed is very important it is a huge part of the performance, but not in the way you mean! For the greatist variety in spining you need to constantly vary your speed.Everyone has a "Maximum safe speed" for each trick they can do and twirlers will try to increce this maximum to have the abbility to spin as fast as posible, but you have to work the other way to... Practice how s l o w l y you can do a trick as well this is great for working on technique.Practice pushing your speed in both directions (fastest & slowest) for every trick you do and you will end up with blur weaves snaping into smooth as silk slow motion windmills.Fastest is not best.Range of speeds to chose from is!------------------The Sand...The Surf... The Flame.

The Sand...The Surf... The Flame.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I answer the questions APB. It's just some people lack the necessary wit to unlock the answers I give.And I have a young protege now - young master Durbs is in training to become the next me.

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Durbs, no need to train, just find any of C@antus' previous posts, cut and paste, and none of us will know the difference.(not that I'm hinting about anything to do with on-topicness, oh no, oh not at all...)As for unlocking his wit, it seems to be scary enough in it's cage...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
But he does staff, so he's alright in my book... grin grin grin grin------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I had a dream about you Charles. Although I cant be sure it was you as I have no idea what you look like.Erm, what was the topic by the way?

Meh

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Something about jumping off a trampoline on to a newbie as part of an initiation test I think...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Chakanmember
68 posts

Posted:
weee *jumps on trampoline *considers jumping on newbie... thinks better of it...Question: when is one considered not a newbie anymore??

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
The rules state:"Section 5b VIII(2)When one is doing the jumping but not being jumped on themselves, one can consider oneself no longer a newbie. Whilst many view this as a favourable position to be in - it carries the risk of jumping off a trampoline but finding no person to land on. This is known as "Shafted" and the only known solution is to learn how to fly reeeeeeally fast."Hope this helps. ------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble Words to memerise, words hypnotise, words make my mouth exercise.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Neph23BRONZE Member
62 posts

Posted:
*puts on her helmet and grabs an unbrella*I don't think the word 'jump' in the subject was a good thing... next time i will use 'tickle' or possibly 'donations welcome'Thank you for the info on speed and gracefulness. i met someone last night who uses really super long flags. i got to play with them for a while and figured out really quick, if you're not graceful you will tie yourself up. Im going to make some because they looked really cool and it will help me with my finesse... grin

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Hey Neph, You looked really good performing last night. You looked a lot looser *blink* *blink* then usual. Not quite as afraid of busting yourself in the head, maybe. You blew me*blink* *blink* off the stage. Did very well, I thought.

Jesus helps me trick people.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Excuse me Mr Puppy, but when you say *Blink* do you in fact mean shocked? and is this because you simply do not know how to spell shocked? Just thought I'd ask[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 11 December 2001).]

Meh

Neph23BRONZE Member
62 posts

Posted:
Nawww, Im the one who cant spell... wink*Blink Blink* is something shared with our group of friends... I think he is just trying to make me feel comfy here...Fire poi and ice skating.... not fun at all..Theres another question... For those of you who breathe fire, what do you use to clean up the paraffin oil after its splattered all over? Had some issues with a rather messy troop last night and almost broke my neck performing after them... Im thinking a soapy water solution would do the trick.. but I have never used paraffin.. Same as any old oil mess or do I need to bring out the Simple Green?[This message has been edited by Neph23 (edited 11 December 2001).]

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
*Blink Blink* more comfy Neph23? *Blink Blink* grin

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
clean un puddles of paraffin, try ussing a lighter smile

One fine day in the middle of the night,
Two dead men got up to fight,
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew there swords and Shot each other.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
The fastest, safest way I've found to clean up fire oil is lots of small dry rags or cut up towels. Soaps and things still leave a slippery residue that needs to be mopped up or other wise disposed of, whereas the dry rags will absorb almost all of it with a few quick hard scrubs.Then you can dispose of them safely, or hang them on the line to dry and use them again next time... grin grin grin ------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
uhh.. whats going on?*gets a confused look*I'm befuddled.. whats the point of this convo?Uh oh.. Im responding to topics I know nothin about again..*goes to get a life*------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
ooo ooo, i know what the topics about, its about trampolines, i dont have a trampoline, but my friend has one, and her cousins have one, and if you run around the outside edge of a trampoline its really fun, and you kinda bounce towards the middle, and then when you get really dizzy, you cant stop yourself from bouncing towards the middle, so you do, and then you fall down, and when i tried a back flip,i landed on my head, and then i tried it again and scraped a goodly amount of skin off my back, and that hurt, and then, and then, ummmm, yeah...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I've never been on a trampoline. I feel left out.We had the option at school, but I chose to do fencing cos you got to use sabres. Hacking and slashing is more appealing to a teenage boy - how things change with age.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I just realised, half way through this thread several someones made comments about me not answering questions and not being seious. But if you look at the second post....Hey, that's me! Answering the question......

Meh

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I like jumping on a trampoline with a friend - if you both jump at the right time, one of you goes flying with the extra bounce!!

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Page: