Forums > Social Chat > Flying with fire toys...

Login/Join to Participate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
OK, who's flown post 9-11 with fire toys and how did it turn out? Ya think if I stick my wicks in my luggage I'll get in trouble? What about international flights?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
i would definatly like to know about flying and the current level of fire taboo. I'm on an island at the momment so i makes a pretty big difference wheither i light up my newly built toys now or when i go home in five months.

flaming_madmember
34 posts

Posted:
My freind flew from OR to CA and back with her set of used poi with no problem. Just make sure you don't have them as a carry on and seal them in a ziploc bag. It helps with alot of the smell and keeps the oil from getting on your cloths.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately, fuel fumes can penetrate a plastic bag--or several layers of plastic bags, as I have discovered. I think the only thing for it would be some kind of metal cannister that seals tightly. Someone mentioned storing his stuff in an ammo box. That might seem somewhat provocative as luggage on an airplane, but I think that's the right idea. Maybe a small, clean paint can.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Auger282member
81 posts

Posted:
EDITED_BY: Auger282 (1429498380)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I was thinking of a container but thought that might be worse. That can't look good though an X-Ray machine... frown

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
the other challenge is trying to figure out how to trasport fire toys that are a little bigger that poi. hmmm...what is shipping like right now (i imagine that usps is a tad paranoid though do bombs and anthrax, but fed ex maybe?)

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I have sent used wicks (smelly, but wrapped in multiple layers of plastic bags) via fedex. UPS would probably be the same or easier, since truck cargo would not be subject to the same scrutiny as airplane cargo. As long as they aren't obviously smelly when you hand them over.Yeah, staves and the like, those'll be problematic. Perhaps the next thing in staff technology will be detachable end pieces that are about as compact as poi heads.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
sounds messy, but as a last option, take the wicks off the toys. Could then perhaps call the airline and explain, show them the wick that has been detached and make sure that they know that you are bringing that on board.....Else take new toys if you can? Or new wicks or something?

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Well - KAtinca and I are preparing ourselves for our Annual Pilgrimage to Sydney to party with the Wick Effect, so we used Shellite for our last burn. This has far less smellyness than kero. I think we need to have one more burn with Shell-lite before we are ready to go tho.Also - we have found that oven bags are almost impervious to nasty smells. Wrap them on with a couple of rubber bands and bobs yer uncle!Josh

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I thought John was my uncle.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Well thats beside the point, Bendy smileJosh

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
bobs my dad.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
John is my uncle too. Maybe we're related Bendy.Come to think of it you look a bit like our kid....

Meh

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Wait - I look like you and your uncle's kid??Back on topic, NYC could you call the airlines? Ask them what you should do, they might just want to label the bag "dangerous" or something.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
I recently just flew to florida and went out of the country with a set of 5 dollar disposable chains with 2 sets of small towel wicks. I packed them in my luggage and didn't have a problem with the flight or customs. Didn't even get the chance to use them though so now they sit waiting to find someone worthy of advancment to fire.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Auger282member
81 posts

Posted:
EDITED_BY: Auger282 (1429498359)

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Dont try and explain to security ... call the airline and have them put a note on your ticket when you check in that you have those things in your bag.I guess at a time like this over in the US, it may pay to be honest, didnt some aussie guy get arrested for jokingly saying ive got a bomb in my bag....could you imagine if they searched your bag and found the poi or staves wrapped up hidden???

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

flaming_madmember
34 posts

Posted:
Well in about one year we will all get to find out first hand what its like to travel with fire equipment!! INTERNATIONAL GATHERING 2003!!!!!!!!!! smile

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
well- we have found that with staves which are too long for your bag, the best way to go is to make sure they dont stink (oven bags on ends, and good fuel burns before packing) wrap them up in shitloads of garbage bags, then put fragile tape all over them so they cant easily be opened, and then call them; "Performance Batons - we are travelling to a national level competition in and its really important these dont get bent"and its not lying when they ask you if you have anything flamable and you say no. As long as you have burned the fuel out of the tips, the kevlar is extremely un-flamable. you havent got any fuel. If there was a fire, your staves would probly come out relatively unharmed smilehasnt failed yet.Josh

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
Hey..i actually just flew from Vancouver to Calgary (canada) with a pair of fire clubs.all i did was check with security if thise was ok they checked them out and said it wouldnt be a problem. To get rid of the Kero smell after some shows and what not for the long 8 hour drive home i have rinsed the wicks really really well with water.. (make sure the water is diposed of properly cause killin da fishy's is bad karma!) but it takes the smell out and *gasp* cleans the wick oddly enough.. if you just lket the water evaporate when you get home its fine to light up again.. you dont even have to wait just stick it in the kero again for a bit and your good to go.. the water kinda evaporates off when you light them..airlines told me this was a good idea..it also helps to bring pictures to explain what they are for.. some times people just dont get it "uhh yeah i spin fire on chains and it looks neat" some times just doesnt cut it smile

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
No Bendy. Our kid - my younger brother. You're not from round these parts are you?

Meh

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
anyone tried traveliing with fire staves recently on US airlines? just curious, as it makes a difference to me wether i make mien now or when i get to Cali....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
One thing to do is that if you put the wicks in your checked baggage, enclose a note explaining what they are, what they are for what they are made of, that there is fuel residue on them but that they are not a fire hazard because they are sitting in the middle of your suitcase.

When I flew to Europe last, I had a huge metal plate in my bag as a gift to the family I was staying with. I put a big note on the outside of my bag on the pocket where the plate was:

"ATTENTION: There is a large metal plate in this outside pocket. If it interferes with X-ray inspection, you may wish to remove it and inspect it by hand before opening up the main compartment."

When I got to my destination, there was a little note scrawled on the paper: "Thanks for the tip. --DTW security"

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
we travel ALL THE TIME with our equipment, most of our shows are out of town. Man, just use towel wicks, and there are no worries! plus they rule! and you can use the supplies for tieing people up with in the hotel room! god i love being a rock star!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by [Josh]:
...then put fragile tape all over them so they cant easily be opened, and then call them;

"Performance Batons - we are travelling to a national level competition in and its really important these dont get bent"

Josh, dude, that is the best idea I've heard yet on this site for the lugging of staffage.

my advice is use firewater and smell never becomes an issue but i guess it won't help to non-aussies
Is the Gathering in 2003??!?!? someone correct it real quick before some lurkers begin planning...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Kendermember
33 posts

Posted:
I just flew to Seattle from Kasas City with my poi and all they really ask is that you explain what they are and MAKE SURE you wrap em up. Also, you cannot bring on as carry on. They have to be checked. It also helps if you have pics to show them what your talking about. They really dont have a problem, just as long as your honest and dont try to 'hide' it.

-= Kender =-

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
I've flown from London to Toronto and back with fire toys twice now, both after 9-11. The first time I just wrapped them in loads of plastic bags and dumped them at the bottom of my bag and continued packing..

Second time I had my fire staff (3-piece) wrapped in plastic bags and placed at the bottom of my bag.

On my way to Toronto this last time I had my bags x-rayed on my way out of customs and they still didn't do anything.

The guy did notice my electroglo staffs though, which I told them it was a hobby of mine. He let me through.

I don't know if this would work in the the U.S.A. though, cause I've heard that customs agents there are ordered to hate anything they don't understand.