Forums > Social Chat > Looking for slow and grace in spinning?

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I spun to opera this morning, more specifically Charlotte Church. I don't know why but the desire kind of came over me to listen to it and then I was moved.I once made a wise crack about spinning to Danny Boy by her to Adam Rice, but you know what? It is possible and I think I spun slower and more gracefully than ever. It is strange because I found I focussed on moving with the music and the poi just followed so I know that there are some funky new things that came out of it, I simply can't describe them. I know to many it doesn't compare to trance and tribal but hey, I just thought I'd offer it up.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

alleykatmember
49 posts

Posted:
I've only recently started spinning with music, and the other night I discovered a fun music-related challenge: I have short, lightweight practice poi that I use in my living room, and I started playing with them during commercials on TV. Every 30 seconds the music changes entirely and I had to shift my pace. Since so many commercials these days use techno-inspired background music, it was pretty fun. The only one that I found really difficult was that stupid gap commercial with the "give a little bit" song that gets perpetually stuck in my head - I think my problem was a combination of slow pace and light poi. Anyway, try it sometime if you're ever snowed in or rained out or just indulging in a little mass opium.

this little light of minei'm gonna let it shine...

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Try spinning to some Loreanna McKinnet (I don't think I spelled that right at all) I was listining to the Book of secrets CD at work today, and had a similer vison of all the grace and flow and what not.

Jesus helps me trick people.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
AlleyKat, what a fantastic idea to keep you on your toes!Sickpuppy, Loreena McKennitt is fantastic to spin to. Of course I started on the Mummer's Dance, but try it to the Bonnie Swans or something slow and graceful like She Moved Through the Fair. I am finding there is no music genre that can not be spun to and it is just fun experimenting.Take care all!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
i definatly enjy doing slow and graceful fire work. it adds a whole new dimesion to a performance that i think can make it more visually pleasing to watch in comparison to one pace movements. using collapsable fans is probally the easiest toy for me to do a wide combo of dance forms with (alough i have a pretty biased opinion here wink ) i love starting off a performance really slow and then building up my speed with the mommentum of the music and ending with spinning my folded fans like clubs. very fun...my favorite dance music when doing this sort of thing is dead can dance or the occational slow klezmer or eastern european gypsy music.