hugs

R

EDITED_BY: Malcolm (1070312868)

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
I bent my wookie... tongue

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
could i ask a huuge favour of you all: i8beefy2, simian and trees and beetles:

could you edit those posts and put them in the same format as mine? i've had a couple of people tell me one of the good things about the thread is the separation of unrelated text and moves, the obviousness of single/ double option, and soon and so forth.

and halow roll? ubbangel i think i just call it a back roll....if not the same thing can you pm me a description? ta

couple more coming tonight

biggrinR

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ok a few lovelies here:
should point out i feel a bit lke Leonard of Quirm on the naming front ubbloco. i mean look at the first one here:

btb entry to front of body

remember the waistwrap(properwrap) on page 1?

this uses the same motion.

quick recap

staff in left hand well off centre spinning horizontally and a/c , longer end comes round btb and would go around the waist and into the other hand . Instead! as it is about to contact your body, lean left and place the staff much higher on your body, just beneath the armpit of the raised right hand... the staff comes up onto your shoulder and is ready to go anywhere. i tend to go round the front of the neck then lift my left arm to trap it in a shouldergrab

but really you can go anywhere from here.

same as above but vertical(jesus, i get better with the names don't i?)

staff in left hand well off centre spinning vertically and anticlockwise , longer end comes round btb, (right hand pointing behind you) and the staff is placed under the right armpit, comes up around the shoulder and into a back roll.

i really like this move in this sequence: back of right hand, backroll and delay the catch as long as possible with the left hand, then *this move* finishing out onto the back of the left hand.
cause its symmetrical ubbangel

back entry no.74 wink

spinning horizontally and a/c in your right hand.let the staff roll onto the back of your hand(not necessary, but nicer) and put the staff on the right shoulder, about 15cm off center. lean right, lift your left arm, and push the staff round and onto your back.
either this will go into a back spin, or you will need to reach with your right hand and catch btb. it tends to be that if you stay low you get the spin, if you straighten up you will get the catch btb.

so. some doubles variations.

all the way round cross
actually a fake. but youd never guess from watching it. one of my favourites.

spinning a cross horizontally and anticlockwise in the right hand.
place the bottom staff as above in the back entry no.74
lift the top staff off with your left hand. the push takes the bottom staff round to the required place on the back(see back spin into cross, page 1) and the left hand staff carries on round with it, just an inch or so above(cause it's being carried wink). your right hand should go round the back to recieve the cross in the middle of your back.

backroll extravaganza

in the same as above but vertical i mentioned a variation which is gorgeous as [censored] if split into a doubles move

the timing of this one is the hardest thing. i'll have to go out and play to tell you the exact timing. but trust me, if you play with it a litlle it'll come. *yorkshire accent* "it might hurt a little on t' road, but you'll be a better man/quine/lemming forrit!"

both staffs spinning anticlockwise and vertically.. the staff in the right hand goes onto the back of the hand, into a back roll and catch btb.

now. to get this catch behnid the back, your left arm has to be behind you so the right staff can come between arm and body. yes?

so. this is where you start the same as aboe but vertical

so it goes one after the other.

worth trying with a big gap inbetween.
cause to tell the truth they're both nice moves on their own when put in a doubles situation.

NB a lot of my doubles moves come like this: finding two separate singles moves together one after the other, using left then right(or the otherway round of course)
try it
youmight be pleasantly surprised....

enjoy
R

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Seems changing house as slighly disadvantaged my editing ablities on my last post. (in other words cos i've had no computer for the last few days the maximum time in which i can edit has expired). poo
if you want i'll re-explain it in another post with the stylistic changes made that you require.

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
um. no tis ok. cause actually when i read this from simian:
Quote:

Do you want any suggestions for other moves or variations to put here?

i understood "can we syggest any more moves for you to describe....?" not 'can we post moves here...?'

so while i don't mind the posting i would rather not get clogged up with repetitions.

biggrin

i seem to be running out(got some noo stuff. just don't quite know where it's going yet ubbloco)

smileR

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
erm yeah,
actually that was what i was hoping you'd suggest. It'd be much better if the moves were in the same style of description. i tried to stick to your conventions, but i tend to be a bit vague and fuzzy. And my descriptions are too.

What you could do is whack all the moves into a single post on a new thread, kill this one, and request further move suggestions via PM?

After all, there's no important discussion outside the move descriptions here.

oh, and Doublesy contact move PMed ubbangel

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
yep.

i'll do that.

if you want to put that doubles move up, i've got a few newies now to put on, and then i'll move it. biggrin

hugs
R

3,149 posts

Posted:
That clever mr Ogre/Tim showed me this un.

Combination (halo roll???) and behind the back pass

Ok, the contacty bit is a vertical single staff move, entirely wall plane.
It must have a name, but i dunno what it is. Possibly a halo roll confused
Anticlockwise spin in left hand, feed under left armpit, over shoulder, then roll over the back of the neck (one of those ones where the neck really manipulates the staff), then roll over right shoulder, down the arm into right hand.

This neatly meshes with the rhythm of a simple behind the back pass from Right to Left, with the actual handover at the point when the other staff is going round the neck.

like most doubles contact stuff, it's potentially cyclical, but i've haven't even managed twice in a row yet frown

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
dont u ppl watch videos tongue i guess when u have ppl showin it to u theres no need

what uv described is what we have been calling a halo roll. i was thinking maybe seeings as not everyone can view the videos of taking out frames to give the jist of the moves. *wishful thinking* if rob where to some how miraculusly appear in adelaide that would all be speed up alot *end wishful thinking*

i think it would be cool to have names like the halo roll and steve for all of the movements.
EDITED_BY: ben-ja-men (1071760107)

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
funnily enough i've never called it a halo roll, nor have the rest of the britcrew(except those wierd bristolians wink). 'tis a back roll confused.

and theres a few back roll variations in doubles that i'll get to shortly. not had a couple of hours to sit down and word process for a few days....

soon i promise(but not to adelaide sorry. maybe in 12months?)

waveR

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
[ jesus entry ubblol

just a basic entry into a neck roll, but also one i iuse to get into the jesus(back of neck, turn, front of neck, turn, back of neck, turn, front of neck(which incedentally i managed the 900 of yesterday...hehe)

right hand s[pinning staff vertically and anti clockwise in front of you, held about 10cm off centre.
the longer end of the staff is contacted round the right shoulder(see morning coffee again for the drewoppositedirection version) and the longer end comes in front, then the rest of the staff goes into a normal neck roll, over the left shoulder and is taken off with either hand...

or the jesus as mentioned above.

and of course this translates into the
double staff jesus entry neckrolls

where you do the move mentioned above with your right hand, and take the staff off your neck (with your right hand)before it moves around the left shoulder.

then try the move(still with a single staff) in the opposite direction with your left hand putting on and taking off..

then try them together. it should come out of a 2beat reverse alternate direction spin.
or you could just do one, then when it is coming off, start the next one and keep the timing from that.

enjoy
R biggrin

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Quote:

the jesus(back of neck, turn, front of neck, turn, back of neck, turn, front of neck(which incedentally i managed the 900 of yesterday...hehe)

when u say front of the neck what exactly do u mean? do u bend in some abstract way so that the staff can roll over the front of your neck or do u mean the staff rolls infront of the neck?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
you bend your head back. neck i mean.
this is another of those 45degree move rather than horizontal or vertical(shame on self for hypocrisy, deplane, de plane spank)

oooh.

mind wandering. oi! come back!

ubbloco

3,149 posts

Posted:
erm, the doubles move i was talking about with btb pass sounds very much like the jesus entry, which is what i was assuming the halo roll was.

the ordinary 'back roll' transfers directly from one shoulder/bicep to the other, without the extra half rotation round the neck. Yeah? No??

confused

staff terminology is rubbish

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
aaaargh.

yes thats it.

but then thats a neckroll.

ubbloco umm ubbidea ubblol

the jesus entry is just the way in. and i was just calling it that cause i had no other name available.

ooooh god i think i'll just have to video the whole lot with subtitles.

ubbcrying for text

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
confused confused ohh heck it's happened again confused

frown
Bammy
frown

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

3,149 posts

Posted:
You call a hand - shoulder - neck - shoulder - hand transfer a neck roll?

Now that's just wilful confuselmenting, that is. Cos there's loads of ways the staff can roll over the neck besides this move where the neck is just one part in the middle.

The problem with literal descriptive move names is that they're too easily mistaken for meaning other similar moves.

Which is why all moves should be named after Cartoon Villains.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
NO i don't

i call the bit in the middle a neckroll.

where it goes over the neck!

thats why i called the first part a jesus entry(cartoon villain? ubbangel)

as you say there are a million and one ways of going into and out of neck rolls, which is why i am naming entries and exits.

grr.

sorry bams, i know i promised you some condensed text so will do that shortly...

ummR

laZyBRONZE Member
94 posts

Posted:
Well F*** ME! Thats one impressive thread and will keep me busy for many weeks.........
Thankyou
laZy wave

as laZy as .....

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
weeks?

i've spent years on these spank

wink

i hop eit takes you less time than me to get them.

glad you like it biggrin

back to uninspired staffness for me right now ubbcrying
wrote a new routine last week but it is just an aerotech show-off.
be ready for the bjc tho ubbangel
as will the juggling one biggrin

R wave

laZyBRONZE Member
94 posts

Posted:
Have you been to firetwirlers.com ?
took me a while to figure out the layout but the vids on there are really good.
'ang on! r they you?

laZy

as laZy as .....

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
been there wink

no it's not me....the girl doing lots of the contact work is mcp, another edinburghian. and mike and benjamen are in there too.....

shes pretty good tobesure ubbangel

R rolleyes

wink

EDITED_BY: bluecat (1072127858)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
you are spoiling us with your saying we be good mr bluecat. Thanks thou! ubbrollsmile

I'm teaching lots of people staff up here, so we can fawn over you when you get back... 8*)

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
oh dear, robs onto a 900 jeasus, time to start practiceing agian.....

T wave

ps, nahh fuccit, im gonna stick with my contact for a bit longer.

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Still slighlty confused on this whole jeasus move.

Lord Tom could you please show me this move????

Bammy
ubbrollsmile

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
didn't say it was smooth tho did i tom... ubbangel and my planes are ultrafuct by the third turn.....

redface meg, we'll have no fawning please.

just smoothity of playage wink

i think the jesus is hard if you've bosoms miss bam.

(omg, the implications in that sentence! ubblol)

off to play wave

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Wow. Kudos Rob!
hug
Of late it seems like contacty doubley stuff is all I want to play at, so it's cool to see some stuff online, havn't really seen this much depth anywhere else... Also good to hear a bit about the WAY you think about it all. I wish more people would talk about it on that level, it seems so often to be very helpful for all concerned to vocalize these things.
Anyways me has hopes next year I might just get to plop myself down on a grassy knoll in Europe (ubbideaany knolls at the EJC?) and watch you some.
What was that word of Dave's?
wink

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Oh btw MERRY XMAS FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!! beerchug ubbrollsmile beerchug
Yes erm, going more on less back on topic for a moment, I was wondering If you guys muck around with 'repeated-horizontal-spins-on-elbow/bendy-bit-of-arm' (unlike vertical no pinching) and if yes what do you call them? I found it to be a boon particularly to multi staff fun.
PEACE N LOVE N STUFF for the silly season....
peace ubblove :stuff?:

A) it does feel as good

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
cool
glad you like it.

no... not quite sure i know what you mean, so will come and see for myself in a week or three.

yes.
knolls available. but i'm much more likely to insist you play too spank

which word?

R ubbloco

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Cool,
Thing is I'm going to Cairo on Jan 19th so won't see you untill somewhere, sometime, in Europe. wave
As for those arm rolls, one way to describe them would be that they are a lot like one of those neck rolls that just keep going on the Hor plane. The two sections of your arm play the same role as each side of the neck in the 'Steve like' version. It helps if you have the same spinning motion with your body as you would when doing the neck version.

Some of the cool things this lets you do include a steve with 5 spins(adding the two mid arm sections to a normal double Steve), and on a much more strange note it makes spining 3 staffs eek in a contact style muce more easy. I'm just now trying to edit a video of this. Cya for a play in France or east/west of there I hope.
Cheers,
Kyle

A) it does feel as good

Page: