Forums > Social Chat > can anyone tell me the difference between

Login/Join to Participate

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Hard trance, progressive trance, and other kind of trance??? i will like to know how to know which is which you know...

Dance like if noone were watching you

Auger282member
81 posts

Posted:
EDITED_BY: Auger282 (1429498435)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yes but it's REALLY hard to explain in words... Also, everyone is wrong most of the time so take my words with a grain of salt... In my humble opinion... the three specific genres of trance that I like are...Progressive, which deals with complicated drum patterns. Not just "Ump, chik, ump, chik, ump, chik, ump, chik..." Check out Christopher Lawrence's progressive stuff and you'll see what I mean about the complicated drumlines...Deep, which is minimalist and more bassline driven. More "funk" and "soul" underlying the music... Digweed tends to get deeper with his recent "Los Angeles" release.And then there's good old, straight up, eurotrance. Think "street parade"... the kind of trance with a specific repetitive electronic sounding melody. The kind of thing you humm in your head. This is what I think of when I think of "true trance".. the "I wrote the melody on my oldschool casio keyboard and it is 8 notes that just repeat but it still sounds cool" kind of thing. The melody tends to drive most traditional trance with lots of breaks. The melody mixed with complicated drums and more of a "flow" tends to be progressive. Soulful basslines tends to be deep.Industrial is an extreme of hard. Very in your face... NOT my cup of tea as it forgets all of the pretty ambiance that is trance and focuses more on the driving beat.It does have to do with BPM as well but I'm not fluent in BPM so I can't help there. I usually like 135-140, that's all I know. smileThey are all different. I'm sure some people will tell you that it doens't matter but if you find specific types of trance that you like (CD compilations and such) that are clearly of one type you can be more educated about what you like in the future.I know that if a "deep/progressive" DJ is spinning I'll probably like it. If a hardcore/industrial DJ spins I probably won't. And that saves me a covercharge every once in a while... I usually just ask the DJ... works for me wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Ooh look, Americans explaining dance music.Where's DJ Salinger when you need him?And please don't ever put Gabba in the same bracket as any form of trance.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I wasn't being nasty by the way. You both explained it adequately. I was just remarking as Americans usually don't know what they're talking about but insist on talking anyway.Just thought it funny is all.... grin

Meh

Hapes-Novamember
60 posts

Posted:
yeah cantus is right, gabber is not at all trance. i know alot of people think stuff is trance when it really isnt. it probably applies to me too wink. but they way i think of different types of trance: (this is gonna be a long post)hard trance uses very raspy, mean, distorted, "hard" sounds for the melody, with short repetitive melody lines. everyone knows about sandstorm by darude. that type of sound darude uses for the melody line is a typical hard trance type of sound. somewhat distorted, with an edgy feel.progressive trance is pretty simple. the songs are usually long, and it starts off real small and simple, with maybe just a beat or something, and it slowly builds up, or progresses, to a melodic climax, hence the name progressive trance. check out 1998 by Binary Finary if you want an example, and observe how the song builds up.there are a lot of other types of trance too. many manydream trance: uses a lot of piano, is very light, soothing, sorta peaceful stuff. easy listening type of music. check out Red Horizon by Cynic project, or Children by Robert Miles.Epic Trance: trance that builds up a lot of emotion/tension/feeling. maybe something you might hear during a sad medieval war scene in a movie or something, i dunno. i think an alright example of this is Angel, by Ralph Fridge.Ambient Trance: my description of this may make it sound similar to dream trance, but its very different. it uses a soft beat, and is lighter than most trance, yet still has a very electronic sound, check out Heaven by Moby. dont get this confused with ambient techno, which is just a slew of soothing sounds, no beat, and isnt really a song at all, just some chill-out sounds.Tech Trance: trance which has a more techno, mechanical feel, but still retains the essence of trance, which is more songlike than techno. look at Techno Energy, by Paul Van DykGoa trance/Psychedelic trance: goa is fast, busy, complicated, with lots of layers and weird sounds, and a hint of some melody. often uses trippy sounding lines, and usually has a dark sound. i've heard that psychedelic is actually different than goa, that its slower, is less complicated, and uses more melody, but often the 2 terms are used interchangeably. check out Hallucinogen - LSD (Live Mix), or Slick Witch, by Slinky Wizard.hmm, those were some types of trance that came readily to mind, but theres also other kinds too that i wont bother elaborating on.check out https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/content.php?id=10479for
a guide that someone made on electronic music. its where i got alot of my information, and it seems to make sense, so its all good. some of the examples they give on the site arent really all that great though, which is why i gave examples which i feel are better in my opinion. but whatever.-Hapes-Nova, electronic music lover

Auger282member
81 posts

Posted:
EDITED_BY: Auger282 (1429498408)

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
hey thanks all of you... but i undesrtood better to nova...didnt undesrtand you too much NYC wellyou know my english isnt the best... but he explained in words i can understand well smile

Dance like if noone were watching you

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
It's ok. Most of us don't understand NYC either. It's usually best to just smile and nod at him. Makes him feel needed.

Meh

pr!m@temember
78 posts

Posted:
buuu-uuurp

pr!m@temember
78 posts

Posted:
Right - that's ok - I've got my password sorted now, so as I'm waiting for a CD to burn - nope its finished.Oh well, anyway, most trance originates from the hippy nonsense of the 60s & 70s, it gave the hippies something better and more modern than listen to The Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Hawkwind, Ozric Tentacles or that other lot that I can't be arsed to remember (something to do with oranges).However, a lot of Europeans were going to Goa (NW India, former Potuguese colony) and discovered tape decks and the likes could be transported there with loads of Japanese / Israeli / anywhere else rubbish that kind of went "boingy boingy boing, swish whirl twiddle" and this made everyone go "oh, cosmic, man" until Eat Static decided that this was boring and introduced breakbeats into it. The idiots carried on listening to "Goa Trance" (man), and everyone else did something else.So, that's Goa Trance...Uplifting Trance is made by people who exploit the fact that trance was once popular, and snort more cocain than most Bolivian cities produce, primarily the superclub DJs, and the idiots who aspire to be superclub DJs.So that's (buu-uuuuurp) Uplifting Trance...Right, then there's good trance, like FSOL, Orbital (early), Musiq, Autechre, System 7, AFX, which is sometimes called trance, ambient, techno, or just music...Then there's techno (tekno to the dedicated) which makes no sense whatsoever. Joey Beltram. Luke Slater (Planetary assault systems). Aphex Twin on an evil day (AFX on the others). The music should drive you to dance whether you want to or not. You should sweat. This is done best in industrial areas - Birmingham is obviously the best, with clubs like House of God and Atomic Jam, though Germany and the Netherlands seem to do quite well too.Oh yeah, and gabba is hilarious...None of this makes any difference.Music is music and you like what you like. Classification is for record companies and journalists to criticise and sell and talk about something they will never know how to understand, or recreate. And that's where the point is lost. Who cares? Well, not me. I've got loads of records and I don't know where to put any of them really. Technohead (a birthday present) fits into the middle of techno, as does Techno Nations. Where am I going to put Underworld, or Dave Angel, or The Orb, or Rennie Pilgrem?None of you know anything so shut up, or learn something about the roots of your music.Right, that's it. I'm bored of abusing you lot. I'm going to bed. Please take offence to anything of said, it will make me smile.Vive la difference.pr!m@tep.s. apparently Mexico is the place to be seen this New Year

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
quote:
music is music, and you like what you like
exactly! every song is different, it's kinda silly trying to classify them. then again, techno is one thing, and trance is another.personally I like trance.there is a good explanation here, I think it's the same link as the other one posted, but this one is from the original site. https://www.ishkur.com/features/music/guide.htm
------------------~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
:Smiles and nods at C@ntus, to make him feel needed...:------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Don't care what you say Charles, you're only jealous.

Meh

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
bomm tish bomm tish bomm tish bomm tish bomm tish bomm tish bomm tish bomm tish bomm tish bomm tishNah - I still i don't understand the fascination of dance music. Except at clubs or whatever, but how can people listen to it at home in their rooms. Mad...(Not that I'm trying to start an arguement at all)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Belgian chocolates?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
this has gotta stop people!! so many quality threads are being reduced to one-liners and frivolous come-backs.I can understand the desire to display wit, but could we all please try to keep it to a minimum in this regards?? pretty please?/moderator mode

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I would respond with a witty one-liner, but it would (quite rightly) not be appreciated smileSo on topic:pr!m@te is right if you like what you hear, then it doesn't matter what genre the music "belongs" to. Since these genres are not really set in stone and many songs transcend the boundaries of one genre into another, it is hard to really define what each is.Having said that it can be useful to have a rough understanding of a style of music, so that you know where to start looking for places to go, music to get. But one of the problems is that some people get stuck in the same groove, and never venture outside into other forms of music. I have recently noticed my taste in music is a bit of a mess in terms of genres. I am ranging from goa/psytrance through to dub and chillout stuff, to classical and even back to some of the stuff I got whilst in high school (rock). Whilst all the time listening to all kinds of new stuff I have never heard before.Just like food, I think people really need to try something different once in a while. grin

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Aww Flash honey, you know I only do it so that you'll punish me for it! *Eyes light up with demented glee*[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 13 December 2001).]

Meh