Forums > Social Chat > Should smoking be banned?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
pavementmember
121 posts

Posted:
The Royal College of Physicians and 17 other medical colleges have called for a ban on smoking in public places in the UK today. Do you think it should be banned? I am of the opinion that it should be banned in public places, as i dont think i should have to breath damaging smoke against my will. I dont think we should have an outright ban, just where it impacts on other peoples health. Whatcha think?

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
the title says .*should smoking be banned?*and so naturally,the few who believe in being allowed to make their own life choices got a bit riled....i have no problem with it being banned in pubs..
toxicwaste has a point though,i mean,where do you draw the line,alcohol may not directly poison others but the damage that drug causes thru violence etc?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

You crazy Lightning.... You get onto a bus driven by someone who has been smoking crack for the last two years and I'll get on a bus being driven by a guy that's smoked cigarettes for the last two years and we'll talk when we both get off the bus...

It has nothing to do with impairment, just how easy it is to get addicted to it.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
I say no, it shouldn't be banned. I have a huge issue with bans also.

An outright ban on anything sends it underground and makes for illegal trade. It also takes away our freedom of choice (what little choice we have).

Here in Ireland we're preparing ourselves for an outright ban in all public places as of Feb 2004. Opinion polls show that 60% of the country are in favour of the ban. This is itself I find absurd.

Why should 60% of the population have the right to dictate or determine what the other 40% does??? To me that's similar to my neighbour being allowed to decide for me whether or not I have to right to an abortion! (ok, maybe that's an extreme example but I hope you get my point)

One of the main driving points behind the campaign here was the right to breath clean air for those who work in the hospitality industry. And I agree, people have the right to breath smoke-free air.

But can't smokers fill their lungs with smoke filled air if that's their personal choice? Surely we can find a happy medium? Let the smoking bar-staff work in smoking bars, and let the non-smoking bar-staff work in non-smoking bars.

As I said opinion polls here show 60% in favour of the ban, that would mean we could have 60% of our bars inforcing a non-smoking policy and in the remaining 40% could allow smoking to ones heart's content. There would be 20% more 'smoke-free' places for people to go, so the non-smokers would in effect have won!

I spent 9 years living in the Netherlands where there is a very liberal establishment and attitude. The Dutch would certainly NOT accept some guy next door having the right to make decisions on what they themselves can & cannot do. They always find a happy medium, a way of keeping everyone happy, even minorities.

Why can't we? confused

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
smoking should not be banned cuz that neglects smokers rights

we have rights too!!!!

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Smoking in indoor public places should be banned, for the same reason smoking isn't allowed in offices and the same reason I'm not allowed to go round injecting people with poison.

It's funny that when you ask people something like "Should we make trains safer?" they'll agree as it'll save lives. But try to stop smoking and affecting their and other people's health and it's another issue. Sure, let people smoke, but they shouldn't affect other people.

A note: smoking whilst drinking alcohol increases the chance of throat cancer. I'm not sure about passive smoking as the study didn't cover that. So pubs are the worst place to be smoking and inhaling other people's smoke.

When I was last in California I really liked being in smoke free bars, and I'm glad NYC and Ireland are going the same way. It seems that many smokers - and especially ex-smokers - welcome a ban in public places, which gives me some faith that the human race still retains consideration for others smile Fabergé - sorry, but you live in a democracy - majority rule applies. Separating pubs into smoking and non-smoking isn't practical, one of the reasons is that it imposes discrimination on where a smoker or non-smoker can work.

Just wanted to comment on this statement: "the fact is im going to die of cancer by the time im 40, thats what i choose to do." - I HATE this argument. I mean really, really despise it's use and those people who use it with a vengeance. People who use it have obviously never seen anyone die of cancer. Never seen them waste away for weeks then suffocate to death over days as their family looks on helplessly. These people lack any level of empathy and consideration, hence unable to comprehend the possible effects their smoking related illness or death will have on those around them.

Also I hate it because I used to work at Royal Marsden hospital, doing cancer research, and I worked next to the children's ward. Every day I would see young children braving a disease that stripped them of years of their childhood. Instead of out playing with friends they were on chemo, their bodies under developed from the stress of the disease and treatment. Every day I would wish that the disease that was killing these children could be transferred to those smokers who so readily accepted and relished such a fate.

toxicwaste - you are arrogant, selfish, insensitive and reactive. Your arguments are so juvenile, stupid and worthless that I'm not bothering to reply to them because I know you won't listen and care because you are arrogant, selfish and insensitive troll. Today I'm very thankful that I do not know you and I pity anyone that ever cares for you smile

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
smoking will never be banned.

It brings in far too much money for the government to ban.

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
everyone wants safer trains cuz train crashes (the bit of trains that damages u) are not an option

smoking is a willful self infliction

thus they are different language games and u cant mix them.

(who thinks ive been reading wittgenstein?)

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I dont.

Otherwise you would be able to spell his name correctly.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
The Irish Cigarette Machine Operators have found a loophole in our new smoking-ban legislation. They plan to stock their already in place vending machines with herbal cigarettes which are exempt from the ban as they contain no tobacco.

It's predicted now that the ban may be virtually unenforceable, as publicans will not be able to distinguish between herbal & regular ciggies, once they're lit up. ubblol ubblol

Remains to be seen...

I just don't think outright bans are the way forward. I hate any infringement on personal choice.

An example of this is my best friends family. Her folks own a pub in inner-city Dublin. It's a family run business. Both of her parents, 2 brothers and 1 sister all work behind the bar. There are no non-family staff. All of these people are smokers. Her parents own the property and also the license. They feel that this soon to be enforced smoking ban is an infringement of their freedom to do what they want on their own property. Sure, it is a public house, but I've listened to their arguement and they liken the ban to a non-smoking ban being enforced in peoples homes whenever a non-smoking visitor enters the house.

Do non smokers feel they have the right to expect smokers not to light up in their company in their own homes? Coz visit a smokers home and you are also passive smoking.

I visit San Fransisco quite regularly, where there's been a non smoking ban in place for some time now, and yes, I will admit, it is great to come home at the end of an evening out on the town without smelling like you've slept in an ashtray wink

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
I don't drive, and every day, I watch people jump red lights, and drive in various stupid ways (not to even get started on getting in the car after a drink or more). As far as I recall, cars kill a similar number (order of magnitude) of people to smoking. I've often wanted to see more bans on cars, and the same arguments apply to them. I'm fairly equivocal on a ban, and while I feel that toxicwaste's arguments, are, as Dom very eloquently points out, rather on the insensitive side, I'm starting to get worried about the changes that our government is trying to make. There are very few people in this country who've never carried out a criminal act (whatever that may be, and yes, I'm including driving and parking offences in that), and what the government seems to be seeking to do, a lot of the time is to make criminals of all of us, and then choose which cases it wants to follow up.

Selfishness is a problem, and the big difficulty with all of the pro-smoking arguments is that they often fail to take their effect on other people. But pro-driving is similar. There is, pretty much, nothing you can do in this life without affecting someone else in a negative way, particularly in London, so the choice becomes one of how to limit it.

Put that way, I suspect a smoking ban will be a good thing, but what other vices will we then start to restrict, and where should we draw the lines?

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I just don't think outright bans are the way forward. I hate any infringement on personal choice.

A lot of people here have mentioned the fact that smokers who smoke in public places are infringing their right to breathe clean, nice smelling and non toxic air.

If you are against banning smoking in public places, it seems to me that there's at least one infringemnet of personal choice that you don't hate i.e. the choice of a non smoker to want to breathe clean air.

Correct me if I've misunderstood.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I dont think I should have to breath damaging smoke against my will.

In that case we'll have to ban all cars, all factories, open coal fires, cigarettes, and everything else including Fire Poi that may/may not (as the medical advise on second hand smoke isn't actually based on proof but only on their theory) cause some smoke that may/may not cause us some harm in our lungs.

I think it should be the choice of the owners of the astablishment to allow it or not and the choice of the clientelle to decide if they want to go in or not.period.

And everyone else here who's of the opinion that you have the right to stop someone smoking because of potential damaging fumes entering your system do you ask people spinning Fire Poi to stop?...because the fumes from burning Kerosene, Paraffin and various other chemicals will damage you far more than any tabacco smoke ever will...and that's your skin AND your lungs AND eyes etc, not just breathin the sh1t in!!

And just in case any one thinks I'm of a biased opinion I'm actually a non smoker but I beleive in the old adage....if you don't like it get out. If you don't wanna go in a smokey pub go to another less smokey pub who might appreciate your business more.

peace

Let's relight this forum ubblove

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
Quote:

It's predicted now that the ban may be virtually unenforceable, as publicans will not be able to distinguish between herbal & regular ciggies, once they're lit up. ubblol ubblol

ya right, those things taste like [censored]. you can definately tell the difference. not that regular cigarettes taste that good, but there's definately a noticeable difference.

what i'm finding interesting about this debate is that there are people responding about smoking being banned altogether. i don't see that every happening. i think the original question was really pertaining to it being banned in public places only. not as a whole. that's not what we're arguing.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

pavementmember
121 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

i think the original question was really pertaining to it being banned in public places only. not as a whole. that's not what we're arguing.

Yeah, we`re just talking about being good to your fellow man and having respect for other peoples wishes here, not about banning smoking altogether.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

I dont think I should have to breath damaging smoke against my will.

In that case we'll have to ban all cars, all factories, open coal fires, cigarettes, and everything else including Fire Poi

Another point that several people have raised.

100% clean air is not possible, that has to be accepted; the best we can do is to try to minimise the poisons we breathe, whilst compromising where necessary.

Regarding the examples you give, in most English towns open coal fires are banned already, I would love cars to be banned/severely reduced, and, with fire spinning- I actually do it much less than before precisely because of the amount of soot that collect in the nose (and presumably, the lungs).

As for moving to a different pub, in sheffield I'm not aware of there being any no smoking pubs, certainly the proportions of smoking to non smoking pubs in no way reflects the number of non smoking customers.

In the event of a ban on smoking in public places, presumably the old adage you mention ('if you don't like it, get out') would apply to those smokers who didn't like it?

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
Here in Halifax, smokng has already been banned. Not entirely, but in restaurants and such. If you have a smoking room in your establishment, it needs to be completely sealed off and seperately ventilated. There's one in the airport, and it kinda looks like Magneto's prison cell in X2. Also, you're not allowed to smoke within 10 ft of the entrance of a building. To tell the truth, I have noticed a big difference and i like it, being asthmatic and all. I feel really sorry for the smokers though, alot of them started smoking back in the day where it was common and the evils weren't all unveiled so now they're forced to go outside and way away from their work in order to smoke. I don't see how this problem can really be resolved without one party being unhappy- the nonsmokers for being unwillingly poisoned or the smokers for being shut out in the cold or closed off from the rest of the world.

P*L*U*R

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:

Quote:

In that case we'll have to ban all cars, all factories, open coal fires, cigarettes, and everything else including Fire Poi

Wait a second, cars drive outdoors, facotories pump their toxic fumes outdoors, coal fires (are banned in canada, usa, and apaprently in many england towns) cigarettes are beginning to be banned from being smoken in public places in countries all over the world (atleast indoor public places, outdoors isn't an issue most places), And fire poi is mostly done outdoors.

Hmm what's the common trend here? oh yeah, outdoors.

Well lets see, I remember a bit of science I learned in elementary, like about how vast the atmosphere is, how there is wind generated by weather system and the rotation of the earth and heat exchange, how the air is always moving and diffuseing gasses. Not it occurs to me that all these things outdoors are quite a bit better for your health then an enclosed space filled with dozens (atleast) of people smokeing. Just look in a pub, do you ever notice that the air is hazy with smoke? and it's difficult to see? Is it ever like that outdoors? Highly unlikely unless there is a house burning or a forest fire. In which case you should call the fire department

Also if you notice all over the world theres a trend towards emission control for factories and cars. So the problem is being addressed. Honestly a car is pretty clean if it's running efficientlly.

Oh and it's a bit more then theory, it's pretty much fact that a room full of smoke is bad for you, Infact it's blatant common sense.

I find it funny how people forumulate these arguements like "duh smokeing is bad for you but duh so are these things" and try to fight legislation protecting people from smokeing based on some weird logic that there are other bad things to. Well gee isn't it good to have less bad things? Or should we just not improve anything because there is no absolute instaneous solution to all the "bad" things at once? BTW herbal cigarettes are still bad for you. And the solution to the "herbal cigarette dilema" is simple, don't smoke anything in bars. If anyone is caught smokeing anything in bars they get kicked out.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Wow Astar...how do you see what you're typing with your head shoved so far up?? I'm v.v.impressed indeed!
Yet 1wheeldave could respond to the same part of my post with so much more...erm...debating skills. Please read his post and learn what the difference between 'debates' and 'arguments' are.
Take a lung full (or preferably read about) what comes out of a car exhaust, it's a long long way from being "pretty clean". It's a lot better than it was (mainly due to Cats holding the fume particles in a sponge, computer controlled timing and fuel ingredients) but it's a hell of a way from being clean. Breathe some one day, or perhaps stand in a busy street in a city and see just how effective 'outdoors' is at clearing the exhaust fumes before you feel the effects. What if it's a still day without much wind? ie California...New York....Dehli.....and various other major cities places who have severe smog problems?? And when its gone it has only elevated eventually to contribute to the green house effect. It doesn't actually dissapear Astar as still affects us all.
Oh, and I'm sorry but my perception of smoking cigarettes in 'Public Places' means both in and outdoors, not just inside a building.
And who is fighting legislation with the "duh smoking is bad for you but duh so are these things" argument? Have you listened to/read any sort of government decision making discussions on issues like this? You wont find those sorts of opinions being stated at gov level, that's only personal opinion statements...big difference.

Any way I digress from the smoking issue and responding to 1WD.....Good point about the old adage but smokers would have nowhere to go if there was a ban and not have a choice about changing the place they want to visit, but if it was the owners/landlords choice of whether smoking was allowed on their property or not everyone could make a decision to go to the place they like.
There was a no smoking pub in my area a few years ago, it closed after a few months cuz nobody went there, whether they were smokers or not. And I think that's a shame for the non-smokers choice but I guess the people in that area spoke through their actions.
I think the profile of non-smoking establishments and areas should be raised dramatically to create the change in social acceptance and give non-smokers/smokers a place to be without bothering the others but an outright ban shouldn't be enforced. Give the people a choice and let them decide. As for all those who drop cigarette butts everywhere, in the street, the country side, outside schools etc, and those who portray it as something cool and influence kids to want to start to gain social status....now they need banning!!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
And sorry to be offinsive Astar but you really got my goat up with your last post mad No harm meant

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
Can't wait for them to ban it over here.

Smokers totally have the right to give themselves all sorts of nasty addictions and health problems, but they don't have the right to inflict those health worries on other people, and this shouldn't be the price of going to a club.

Magnus... pay it forward

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
But it's not the price of going to a club. That's v.exagerated indeed! How many non smokers do you know who have nasty lung related deseases from going out on a friday night?
I don't know how to say it any other way, there is NO CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE THAT SECOND HAND SMOKE CAUSES LUNG DESEASE. One group of independant doctors say that from their research it does, another group of independant doctors doing the same research say it doesn't.
The truth is that hot smoke entering the lungs and airways from smoking cigarettes causes very minor burns to the very sensitive tissues we have in our lungs and throat etc. This injury then heals itself but unfortunately has various tars and toxins stuck to it when it heals thus absorbing them. This can in some cases lead to lung desease/cancer. The fact that second hand cigarrete smoke isn't hot and doesn't burn (ie the way bongs cool smoke to make it far safer to inhale) means the contamination is temporary and is well within the tolerance of most folks imune systems to deal with. Just like the way we breathe every other smoke and contaminants every day from the air around us that doesn't really do much direct damage thanks to being wonderfully human and having an imune system.
Now consistant breathing the sh1t all day every day is one thing, but going to the pub or club or where ever else a few times a week doesn't make any real difference.

Man I might even start smoking myself...it's starting to sound quite inviting!! tongue

weavesmiley

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

But it's not the price of going to a club. That's v.exagerated indeed! How many non smokers do you know who have nasty lung related deseases from going out on a friday night?

Roy Castle would have an opinion on this if he was still alive. He was a non smoker who believed his cancer was caused by playing trumpet in smoke filled clubs.

Of course, it's impossible to say whether smoke was the main causal factor involved, but it's at least as likely as not.

Quote:

I don't know how to say it any other way, there is NO CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE THAT SECOND HAND SMOKE CAUSES LUNG DESEASE....

Just want to make it clear that the claimed lack of conclusive evidence that second hand smoke causes lung disease does not mean that it doesn't.

I appreciate your explanation that the smoke must be hot to cause damage, but that's just a theory and I find it somewhat dubious.

Firstly, the cigarette manufacturers used the same excuse to justify what they were doing i.e. claiming that evidence about the smoking/cancer link was not 100% proven.

Secondly, the smoke contains carcinogens, they may be made worse with heat, but that doesn't mean they're safe without it.

people have a right to not take the risk (and furthermore they have the right to avoid that risk, not by being excluded from social environments, but by that risk not being present in that environment).

Lastly, concerning-
Quote:

Man I might even start smoking myself...it's starting to sound quite inviting!!

My sincere advice is not to mess with it, every self confessed nicotine addict (and there's a lot of people who know, and will state, that the only reason they continue to smoke is because they are addicted) started by smoking a few and believing that they could stop when they chose.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

Quote:

there is NO CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE THAT SECOND HAND SMOKE CAUSES LUNG DESEASE

Tell that to Roy Castle's widow, I'm sure she'd agree.

My truth is that spending time in a pub or club that's full of concentrated smoke makes it hard to breathe, occasionally making me gag and cough uncontrollably until I can get outside. There's the odd occasion when I cough up black stuff the morning afterwards.
There's also the times when it makes my eyes water so much I can barely see.

Since coughing is a reflex action to something harmful in the airway, I think it's pretty safe to assume that it's not good for you to be breathing it.
Why should non-smokers be forced to breathe something so obviously damaging just because smokers are too selfish or weakwilled to give up smoking for a few hours a couple of times a week?

Quote:

but smokers would have nowhere to go if there was a ban

Around where I live, I have nowhere to go because there isn't a ban, there aren't any non-smoking pubs here, so if I want to go out with my friends, I have to breathe the smoke someone else has put there.
Smokers can always step outside for the few minutes it takes to finish their cigarette, or just try and resist the urge for a while until they get home.

I want to know just how long I'd be allowed to stay in a pub if I sprayed air freshener over people who started smoking near me. I imagine it wouldn't be long, because the people smoking would complain, so why do they not get kicked out if I complain about them smoking near me?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
*Side note*

I went out clubbing last night for hours (George Acosta for those in the know) and I can't tell you how NICE it was to spin glowsticks and dance like CRAZY for HOURS without smoke. I was able to breathe all night long. I stayed out later. I felt better during. And I felt great the next morning. No smelly hair, no coughing up lungs. It was just SO nice. BTW, there was a roof were smokers could go and hang out and smoke and still hear the music. It was kind of a cool hangout spot.

I think that smokers don't realize how difficult it is for non-smokers to breathe in smoke. It's honestly one of the worst feelings to be in a crowded smoke filed room. Maybe smokers just don't realize that.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
one word -self righteousness........it really gets my back up.....i,being a smoker,haven't got a problem with being asked,nicely,to take my smoke outside etc..but when people start insulting smokers,quite venomously,i feel sad...whatever happened to being,or trying to be,non-judgemental?

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Smokers can always step outside for the few minutes it takes to finish their cigarette, or just try and resist the urge for a while until they get home.

that's an excellent point, and one i've been thinking about as well. smokers would have to leave the party/club to go outside and smoke for a few minutes maybe 5-6 times in the night (depending on if you chainsmoke or whatnot). and that's even IF there's not a balcony/roof where you can still chill and listen to the music. non-smokers, however, don't have that option. if we want our preference (clean air to breathe) then we can't even go to the club/party.

speaking as an asthmatic as well, i can't even tell you how many times the smoke in the air has induced an asthma attack. i'm soooo glad smokers see their right to smoke anywhere they want as more important as my right to live. (**note the sarcasm**)

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
Quote:

one word -self righteousness........it really gets my back up.....i,being a smoker,haven't got a problem with being asked,nicely,to take my smoke outside etc..but when people start insulting smokers,quite venomously,i feel sad...whatever happened to being,or trying to be,non-judgemental?

i have no problem politely asking someone to not smoke around me, and more often than not, i'm usually the one who leave the area rather than impose my values on them. i respect their right to smoke, as i would hope they respect my right to breathe clean air and not have an asthma attack. but i do get angry when smokers respond rudely or are inconsiderate. especially when they are unwilling to look at the other side.

**giggles**

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

...I am about to embark on my latest attempt to stop (don't ask me how many times I've tried, I've lost count! redface ubblol)

Good luck; if you've not read it already I can recommend (from personal experience) getting hold of Allen Carrs 'Easy way to give up smoking'- it's been mentioned in a few threads which I'm sure you can find with a search.
Quote:

But enforcement may be a probem. When returning from London on the train in a non-smoking carriage last year, someone tried to justify himself smoking around my son because 'he'd fought for our country'! eek Which is blatantly ridiculous, and I know not all smokers are arrogant, but what could anyone do? Didn't fancy my chances in rugby tackling a squaddie, and by the time the guard came he'd finished a king-size cigarette and left the train. frown mad

There's always going to be situations where someone refuses and not much can be done; however, prior to the smoking ban on trains there would have been a lot more people in the carriage smoking.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i was out at the Waterfront Festival and i girl was going to smoke but she asked all the people standing around her if they minded. i said i had asthma (i dont) and she turned around and made sure the cigarette was away from me. i though it was quite nice that she checked with the people around her before she lit up.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I smoke, although not when asked not to, and definitely not around my son. However, I am about to embark on my latest attempt to stop (don't ask me how many times I've tried, I've lost count! redface ubblol)

Have you tried making an appointment with the doctor? Most doctors are THRILLED when a patient comes in and says "help me quit!"

Don't be afraid to use quitting aids. It's an addiction, not a contest of will. Buy the patch, buy the gum, take pills, it doesn't matter, just do whatever it takes.

I've seen what smoking does to people. You all know about the cancer and the emphysema. I've posted autopsy specimens of smokers lungs on this board.

But it also makes you UGLY. And I don't mean because you're holding a cigarette. Most people start smoking around 15 and I can spot them across a room by the time they're 30. It enhances the activity of a protein-destroying enzyme called elastase. Elastin, the protein destroyed by this enzyme, makes your skin (and blood vessels) elastic. By 30, I already see the skin start to wrinkle. By 40, their faces sag. The women have deep voices because the larynx enlarges from the constant irritation. It's so gross.

I can't make anyone here stop smoking, but it's just such a horrible way to treat your body. And small cell carcinoma of the lung (the most common cancer among smokers) is such a nasty way to die.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Page: