Forums > Social Chat > Should smoking be banned?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
pavementmember
121 posts

Posted:
The Royal College of Physicians and 17 other medical colleges have called for a ban on smoking in public places in the UK today. Do you think it should be banned? I am of the opinion that it should be banned in public places, as i dont think i should have to breath damaging smoke against my will. I dont think we should have an outright ban, just where it impacts on other peoples health. Whatcha think?

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
if all smokers would stop all other pollution I'd be willing to discuss the smoking ban, but as it is I'm quite happy with having clear air in pubs in... oh... 6 days biggrin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Grrr ya buggers, im gonna miss smokey pubs makes the drinking more enjoyable

Written by: jo_rhymes

But Theo, thats their choice.

If for example you dont smoke and you dont want to inhale someone else's smoke, when you go to a public place, it'd be kinda nice if smoking was prohibited. you see? smile

There should be specific places to smoke tho, its unfair beyond beleife that smokers cant even light up in private member clubs, yet the house of lords/cpmmons whatever is exzempt from the ban. (hah yeah its true sneaky sods arnt they)

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Theo_SILVER Member
Dirty Hippie
347 posts

Posted:
i dont smoke ciggerettes. but i dont really mind people smoking around me, in norwich upstairs in cafe nero is like a room full of smoke, and my friends smoke there n i choose to go with em and i dont think its that bad...

for every minute angry, you loose 60 seconds of happiness

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
this has a lot of replies, but let me just say that smoking should be banned from all message forums, if not the internet as a whole. the smoke makes my avatars cough and clogs up the bandwidth with soot. plus the CSS smells like smoke for days. DOWN WITH INTERNET SMOKING!

we're talking tabacco, right? wink

Colin Jsmall member
116 posts

Posted:
Quality tobacco doesn't smell bad. I like the smell of some shisha and good pipe tobaccos. But then again I like the smell of mature cheeses and other "interesting" flavours. I can't ever imagine myself being a smoker again though.

But one thing has always bothered me about smokers/ing. How people can actually smoke things like malboro and camels is beyond me. Bleh. So a public ban and a pimp slap on horrible smokers is ok. but only because most people don't know anything about smoking tobacco and fudged it up for the rest of the population. In the end we'll have to tell more peope how to live their lives. Again. Because if we don't people will just smoke like 20+ nasty tasting nose stinging stinking up the place taylor cigaretes a day.

Written by:

with increasing debates and discussions on the issue, it is becoming clear that the arguments of pro-smokers are inconsistent and confused, whereas the arguments of anti-smokers are valid

I agree. but most of the smokers whose arguments your refering to have no taste. And even I don't understand most of them. And I like smoking(just not their 20 a day nasty marlboro habitual smoking). I just don't do it myself.

And don't even bother 'quiting'. Just skip that part out and go straight to being a non-smoker. See its f*****g simple.
EDITED_BY: Colin J (1142908693)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Smoking bans I'll support. Criminalizing tobacco possession I won't.

I'd even go so far as to ban the sale of tobacco, but keep possesion and growing legal.

How many people roll their own? Hardly any. Without handy, pre-rolled cigarettes, I bet the smoking rate would drop 99% in a month and after three months if the whole thing were lifted, many people would stay quit.

Of course, the tobacco companies are far too powerful for something like that.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pen Draven

hmmm winds me up really.... why does it seem that all the most vociferous anti smoking parental 'think of the children' type then quite happily go round everywhere in a giant gas guzzling FAR MORE AIR polluting 4x4. I don't drive so why should i passive smoke their exhaust fumes.

and for the record yes i smoke,, but i sure as hell don't pump out as much noxious gas in a year as one of those does in a week.

I wonder what the health effects are from pollution. It doesnt get the same media hype as cigarettes. Parents in huge 4x 4s smoking should get double fines wink

I would like to see government support of biofuel in cars to reduce emission rates sustantially. Instead of taxing the people trying to produce significant amounts of biofuel as happens here now. Make having a diesal far more worth while.
Its crazy how hard here it is to get biodiesal off the ground.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Sweden's planning to rely completely on renewable energy by 2020, and it seems they can make it. They already put biodiesel in "normal" fuel, and they are making more cars that can drive only on it. They're also going back to getting energy from wood chips and what's left over when producing the biodiesel, and since they have such vast forests and lots of water for water energy, too, it might just work smile

Mmmmmmh, Sweden biggrin

Oh, and health effects from pollution are mainly COPD and cardiovascular. One of my supervisors runs a project with inhalation of car fumes and their effects on blood vessels. And apparently a day out in the tube system or on the streets of Glasgow is like a 40-a-day habit!!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
oh, update, just got this in my email account, fresh from the European Respiratory Society:

https://www.ersnet.org/ers/default.aspx?id_fiche=232472&id_langue=3&id_dossier=56222
(10 reasons for a smoke-free Europe, and 79 000 people die from passive smoking in Europe every year)

https://info.cancerresearchuk.org/press/97873
fake cigarette packs given to MPs saying "secondhand smoke kills bar workers"

https://www.ash.org.uk/html/factsheets/html/fact08.html
fact sheet on passive smoking

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
who was it who said the arguments of smokers are confused..or something? can't remember...anyway, all i have to say is that i am a smoker and i like to smoke in the pub because i'm addicted and i'm lazy, i can't be bothered to go outside where it's cold and could even be raining eek. these are my ONLY reasons...ok maybe there's something about bein able to do what i want, but i can't walk round naked in the pub so why should i be able to smoke right? i want to be able to smoke in the pub, just lke i waould like to be able to everything i want to. if people can't accept they can't do some things they want to then imo they're not really mature enough to be part of society anyway...kids learn quicker!

anyone who tells you different is lying, these are the only excuses imo, and they're blatantly rubbish anyway.

there's a straight answer for you!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

Sweden's planning to rely completely on renewable energy by 2020, and it seems they can make it. They already put biodiesel in "normal" fuel, and they are making more cars that can drive only on it. They're also going back to getting energy from wood chips and what's left over when producing the biodiesel, and since they have such vast forests and lots of water for water energy, too, it might just work smile

Mmmmmmh, Sweden biggrin

Oh, and health effects from pollution are mainly COPD and cardiovascular. One of my supervisors runs a project with inhalation of car fumes and their effects on blood vessels. And apparently a day out in the tube system or on the streets of Glasgow is like a 40-a-day habit!!

Thats unreal. Makes sense.

Australia has such a huge cropping industry we could easily suppoer a biodiesal industry. Save buying all those petrochemicals fuels

Silly things here like a huge windfarm is set up...
But the gas project means that the power is run by gas from 400km away (and the gas is from 1000s km away)
instead of the wind produced power from 20km away.

Why do we get upset about kids..because they dont have a choice to walk away from smokers.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Page: