Forums > Social Chat > My experiences on teaching kids

Login/Join to Participate

Antti_Panttimember
17 posts

Posted:
I had the wonderful opportunity of teaching some 10-12 year old kids to do poi and staff and I even got paid for it. Not with fire but with blacklight and so on.. This was all organized well by my groups director with all the financing from cultural boards and such.First i went to their schools and performed and hoped that we would get enough participants for the poistaffschool. I went to 3 schools and got enough for 1 full course and 1 half course.I teached 13 kids with my partner 9 times once a week and in the end the kids held a performance last sunday in the Forces of Light fire/light event, the biggest in Finland with 4 firegroups performing plus the kids. There was about 800-1000 people watching their show and you can imagine the applauses they got!!! And i was almost crying, they were so cute!The teaching was a lot of fun but ofcourse we had some problems to keep their interest for 1 and a half an hour. 13 kids was actually more than we though for 2 teachers. The other group of 5 kids was easier and they also had more motivation and less distraction (noisy friends) and they learnt so much that i'm planning to adobt those kids to my group. I mean they learnt everything i showed them right away and were finally doing double staff quite nicely.So we had 4 kids doing poi and 9 doing staffs for a good 15 minute show. I think we might get the show on video and maybe even one beatiful day post it here!I'm in a pretty good situation and i basically get my living out of fireperformances and music. This is one and a very fun way to make some money. But you know that the real reward is to see them perform and see the look on their and their parents faces!Building the next generation...Antti, Tuliryhmä Etna, Finland

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Good Work my man! smileJosh

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
That sounds fantastic!Was it in school hours or after hours?I think watching them would be excellent.Look forward to teachin Finn's little bub one day when they're old enough ..... amongst other things :P

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
ERF,, where were you when i was a kid HUH!!?!?!man i wish i coulda learned when i was little.

We are defined by the choices we make

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I'm going to take a stab at Finland, Naganootch. grin

Meh

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
C'mon your taking the pi*s right? You got 10 and 12 year olds doing double staff? I can't do one convincingly!I'm off to sulk

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

JyriTmember
10 posts

Posted:
Durbs.. I was watching that show!! Awesome! And they really did double staff! and those who did poi were almost better than me(I think, Antti can aswer that was they) wink-- Jyri

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
Sounds like an excellent project! And financed by a cultural group, cool! We need more cool stuff like that in the UK.Children learn quicker, they're more flexible and they often have more time to practice.One big reason, and why youngsters are constantly showing up older skateboards, skiers, etc... is no fear! Generally the younger the body the quicker it heals and the more abuse it can take without complaining too much, so the less they worry about hitting themselves.

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

Charlymember
68 posts

Posted:
We've started teaching young people too, and it has been a lot of fun.We construct poi for them to keep - rubber balls on the end of soft cord or rope.They learn very quickly, and don't approach it with a lot of the 'I can't's and other nasty baggage a lot of adults have...Some of our students went on to work up a glowstick-spinning piece for their middle school talent show. We were quite pleased.And the extra income never hurts... we ask a $10 donation for a 1 1/2 hour class. But it's 'pay what you can' - we never discourage people from coming if they're broke.POI FOR THE MASSES!~*Charly*~The Cabiriwww.cabiri.org

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Great poi for kids. Dont hurt when they hit, UV reactive and really easy to get the kids to make

Non-Https Image Link

or buy them from these guys smile

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Them's some trippy poi!!!

he-ey... I'm still technically a kid (well, one of those weird teen types) wanna come to Australia and teach me? lol

I'm sure the kids would have had a blast. the primary school next to us have a circus group "short circus" I believe, and they appear to have a ball. Even performed in the Commonwealth Youth Games 1.5 years ago

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
next workshop I do with kids they get to make those ones

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

SkwirrelleSILVER Member
7 posts

Posted:
Wow that sounds awesome. I'm currently a school teacher and sports coach but I would love to be teaching these sorts of workshops. Maybe it'll happen one day smile

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I've been helping out with some circus performance guys in town as part of the comm games, and we'd see kids in coming up, grabbing a plate, or my poi, or devil stick or diablo, and pick it up so quickly, it was awesome (not to mention cute as)

Kids brains are still so flexible, get them whilst you can really

flamin_squirrelSILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
Hi, as for the funky poi (in the post above) could someone please point me in the diection of the seller (couldn't see the link) or please explain in detail how to make them, also what equipment etc is needed. got a 3 day workshop in the summer and think making these with the kids would be a good idea, they look fab and really safe!

cheers

Rina ubbrollsmile