Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > buzzsaws in weave related moves

Login/Join to Participate

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
ok.. I believe offset weaves refer to even beat weaves yeah? well my question is this:
are offset weaves (and related moves like the windmill and corkscrew since they are even beat) the only moves that allow a buzzsaw to go both ways?

I mean odd beat weaves can go one way, or the other with the buzzsaw in the middle.. but you have to do a whole weave before changing directions.. however, even beat stuff, because the lead hand doesn't change allows a buzzsaw through the move going both ways without having to pause or anything..

So am I just not trying hard enough, do I have to change the hand that exits the buzzsaw, or is it just not possible to get it to go both ways in an odd weave?

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
hmm, I've been trying to figure this out as well. I haven't been spinning for long so I haven't played with a 4bt weave very much, but I add short buzzsaws in my 3bt weaves all the time, but you are right I have yet to find a way to get them to go both ways...

Left-Middle-Right is easy, as is Right-Middle-Left, connecting them to R-M-L-M-R isnt so easy

I think it is possible, I just need to keep experimenting, for me at least if I'm going R-M-L I drop the second beat with my left hand on the right side and that comes to the middle, so I need to come to the middle while my left hand is still on top. If you follow that through to your left side your right hand ends up on the bottom, and to come back to the middle you need it on the top.. Hope that made sense in my rambling..

***edit***

Ok, I have it from R-M-L-M-R but I havent tried to get it the other way until I can polish this up a little bit.. heres what you need to do (we'll see if I can explain this)

going from R-L..

Come out of your weave with your LH while it is still on top, go into your buzzsaw, follow it with your RH. When your right reaches the top it crosses to your left side, and your LH needs to stay in the "middle" (now kind of your right side) for another beat before coming to your left side. I hit my right arm plenty of times but thats the only way I could get my right hand on top on the left side without tangling... hope that helps...

***/edit***
EDITED_BY: Lurch (1069758537)

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I had heard the term 'offset' to mean something different (Oh god here we go again...)

I had heard the term to reflect when a weave is not "unweaved" completely.

Like if you do a 5 beat on your right side, then only unweave two beats, then reweave two beats. You'd be doing a 2 beat weave but offset (with your arms annoyingly crossed)...

I see two repititions of a regular 5 beat weave as being (each number representing a circle on that side, not a beat):
Left side: 1-2-3-4-5-Right side-5-4-3-2-1-Left Side-1-2-3-4-5-Right side-5-4-3-2-1

and an offset weave being:
Left side: 1-2-3-4-5- Right side-5-4- Left side:-4-5- Right Side-5-4--

So you're doing a two beat weave, offset by three beats. (!?!)

Just shows how messed up my brain is... So in my definition, Offset doesn't have to do with buzzsaws at all...

Though i've been playing with those too! smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
thanks for the input on offset NYC... I do offest stuff all the time then.. especially my corkscrews because you can do the offset stuff in the middle and only go all the way up or down when untwisting/re-twisting the other beats...

lurch- *shrugs* I can get it to stay buzzsaw by turning.. but that's it... ah well.. I'll go back to my hyperloops for a while until inspiration hits me or something...

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Oi, I'm just confusing myself now, I don't even think what I'm doing would be considered a weave anymore, more like a modified buzzsaw... where do you draw the line between one move and another and the varients in between? confused

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Quote:

where do you draw the line between one move and another and the varients in between? confused

Right at the border. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
goofy weaves. they're weaves that are offset down the weave arm helix. they're a good candidate for the most ugly and pointless move in poi.
do a 2 or 3 (or 4 etc) beat weave offset to a 5 or 7 beat weave position.

So for a 3 beat offset to a 7, its like doing a 7 beat on one side, and a minus 1 beat on the other, the poi make the same path as a regular 3 beat, but the arms are double crossed.
enjoy. ubblol
Glass

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Quote:

where do you draw the line between one move and another and the varients in between? confused

You don't. Maybe when you can't draw the lines between moves, it means you've begun to flow.. ubbidea

E pluribus unum, baby.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
Quote:

goofy weaves. they're weaves that are offset down the weave arm helix. they're a good candidate for the most ugly and pointless move in poi.

how can you say that man? they are one of the coolest moves I've learned... by practicing the offset stuff, it improved my ability to lead with either hand, as well as mycontrol with the moves I was doing..

As far as ugly... I've been told several times that doing offset weaves makes it look like you are taunting people.. LOL... so yeah I guess that would be an ugly thing to do..