krystiemember
22 posts

Posted:
This would probably be a question mostly for Cassandra, but if anybody else has input to share, please do.Okay, I'll try not to embarrass myself and mangle the language with what little French I speak. Feel free to laugh at my expense if I do so smileJ'écris une présentation oral pour mon cours de français le semaine prochaine, et j'ai decidé parler de poi. Je voulais faire tournoyer mes poi pour l'exposé, mais la pièce et trop petite, donc au lieu de ça j'ai un petit film.Mais je vais parler de l'histoire de poi et des choses qu'on utilise. Pourriez-vous me dire qu'est-ce qu'un peu mots sont en français? Comment dit-on "glowsticks" et "staff" en français? Et le feu.. est-ce qu'on dit simplement "Je fais tournoyer le feu", ou est-ce que ça bizarre?Most of the other terms seem straighforward, otherwise I might just use some English words here and there..Kristen

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
LOL ::Cassandra winks at Nomad::Kristie... I am sorry i can't be really helpfull cause Nomad and I for example chat about poi but every technical word e still put them in english ....Howeverglowstick = glowstickstaff = baton or baton indien (as opposed to devil stick = baton du diable)most french call poi BOLAS though ...I still have not found any word to express the beauty of the word "fire dancing"...Sorry i can't help much. Your french is really good though smilelet me know if you need more specific translations.

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
French is one of the things I really wish I knew. Unfortunately, the extent of my knowledge is derived from Pepe le Pew cartoons. Le poi, la staff and, uhh... les twirling?? (pronounced with a thick Aussie accent -> "lay twurlin'")

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

4,224 posts

Posted:
LOL !!!I'll teach you some french if I come to Adelaide, Ok ?your mail got me thinking about "gender"...I would say LE poi and LE staff. Noamd, what do you reckon ?Maybe my dear Marlboro has also a few ideas on that one ??? smileshine onCassandra

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Do you pronounce poi the same in France? or like the French 'moi'?mmm, pwah.pwah, pwah, pwah (just trying it out)French lessons? oui! smile
Non-Https Image Link
[This message has been edited by Bendy (edited 05 December 2001).]

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
I have to agree with Cassandra, living in the US and having picked up Poi here, I am having the hardest time when I have to describe it to friends and family back home. I still can't find the equivalents for "I spin fire" or "I spin Poi". One sure thing: don't say "tournoyer" or "tourner". You can say "Danser avec le feu" (still sounds crappy compared to "fire dancing"... who said French was a beautiful language???).Sorry we can't be more helpful. There's gotta be a whole different french lingo regarding fire spinning that I'm sure sounds more idiomatic, but you'd probably have to dig and find people who aren't as exposed to English like me and Cassandra because we are always looking for some kind of direct translation.Bon courage!:-)Nomad

krystiemember
22 posts

Posted:
Thanks everyone for your input smileI was wondering why I couldn't find "glowstick" in my dictionary.. lolBendy, I asked my teacher about the pronunciation because it seems that when you say it like "moi", it sounds too close to the word for "pea". She suggested either spell it "poy" or just pronounce it differently. I've never heard "bolas", thanks for the tip Cassandra.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
In my experience it's mostly people who don't actually speak french who say it's a beautiful language.

Meh

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Man, I studied French at Uni for 2 years before I went mad and realised that this was a silly thing to be doing. I'm now at music college. Hurray!!I always wondered about the Poi = pea thing. Do you think any french person has ever tried spinning peas by mistake? A kind of visual/linguistic pun. Maybe a bag of frozen peas would be better...------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble I have only one burning desire....let me stand next to your fire

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

4,224 posts

Posted:
I most definitely pronounce POi as Boy actually. (don't spin boys though, even frozen ones, only poi... and no peas either in case you wondered Durbs !! wink )When I go spin some poi I say "je vais faire des poi" ... not really nice but understandeable.What is with you, cantus, Durbs ??? french is an ugly language ? drives people mad ? Are you in a bad mood, guys ? having a bad Marmite overdosis maybe ? winkchill out ! yes, french isn't that nice and sexy all in all, and yes, it isn't that easy or logical either (why the heck should EAU be pronouced O after all... ? ) but at least ... eeeer ....we have some real cool cheese ... smileShine onCassandra

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I never said I didn't like French - I love the language, just hated the course.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I was answering a question that Nomad asked.I lived with a french speaker for 3 and a half years. I don't think the relationship would've lasted so long if I hadn't like the language a little bit, would it?

Meh

krystiemember
22 posts

Posted:
The vocab. is coming along well for my presentation, but the verbs are still tripping me up.I think french should have a verb like "twirler". Then I could say "Je twirle poi depuis 3 ans." (I haven't, but it sounds nice smile )And on the beautiful language subject.. it's probably a matter of the grass being greener on the other side... Everybody likes the language(s) they don't speak.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think it's just as awkward in English actually.Whenever I say "spinning" or "twirling" to my non-fire posse it always takes them a second to go "Oh, the thingie with the fire and the woosh woosh that you do...""I do poi" or "I poi" sounds presumptuous and only makes sense if you're around other poi-ers who already know you do poi.You don't really "spin" them (usually used for rotating things) or "twirl" them (also used for rotating batons mostly). You actually revolve them, no?"I revolve poi"Yikes...Fire specific terms suck as well...I spin fire?I twirl fire?I juggle fire on a chain?As do glowstick terms...I spin/twirl glowsticks.I string.I rave. (My least favorite)Usually when people ask me what I do I just tell them to "shut the hell up" and punch them in the face and run... But that only works in New York City. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Swing Poi - calling yourself a swinger has disturbing connotations I think.Whirlpropel through space or through air whilst tethering an end in an attempt to control them[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 07 December 2001).]

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Play with fire? Manipulate? dance with? flirt with?erm...ok maybe I dont flirt with it, but I think Pele does! wink::runs::Josh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Pele gets excited at the smell of kero. She said so. I can see you Josh. Hide better or she'll catch you....unless that's what you want.....

Meh

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
"Play with fire" makes you sound like a firestarter - in the bad sense *pictures Josh sitting in the corner lighting matches*

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I set fire to a railway bridge when I was about 14. Did loads of damage.

Meh

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
So that's a railway bridge and a church? Hmmm maybe we should take the fire away from Cantus! grin

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
And a cornfield. Anyway the church was an acident.

Meh