Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Yeah had a probable case of rabies at work. It was a pregnant cat called Katie. She came into the clinic last week by Dr. Fussell. He said that the people who had been feeding her (she's a stray) said that she was foaming at the mouth. We had been watching her and she didn't do much, just slept and threw up alot. We figured it was from her being pregnant and getting close to giving birth. Whenever I had to clean her cage out I never removed her from the cage or touched her. I had to take out her water bowl and food dish and wash them, then reput food in there for her. Had to change her litter box. I would then take everything out of the cage except for her of course and disenfect her cage with her in it. I just sprayed some chlorhexiderm on a paper towel and wiped down the cage. She never bothered me and I never bothered her.

Well this morning when I went to work I found her dead in her cage. I told Mandy that I thought Katie was dead. I was walking dogs at the moment and so had to get them outside before they left nice presents in their pens for me to clean up. Mandy went to Katie's cage and pulled on some fur on her tail. It was stiff she said. She called Dr. Fussell and he said that he already knew about the dead cat and for us not to touch her or mess with her cage. Mandy went and scrubbed her arms with betadine solution.

Apparently the cat died sometime over the weekend. She was starting to smell pretty too. Fussell came in and wore gloves and removed the cat. He stuffed the cat into two garbage bags and had Michelle take it to the lab down the street. Michelle had to give them the names of everybody who had been in contact with the cat. Should get the results from the test either this afternoon or tomorrow.

I had to wear gloves and remove everything in the cage and disenfect it with bleach. I used practically bleach with alil water. I scrubbed the whole cage out and removed the door and scrubbed that down as well. I then removed the gloves and scrubbed down with the betadine solution. My hands are so dried out!

If it comes back positive, don't know if we will have to get shots or not. I read online at the CDC(centers for disease control) that the shot is only administered if the person was bitten or had open cuts/wounds that came in contact with saliva. I used paper towels to clean up the messes the cat happened to leave for me. We mostly kept a towel in the cage with her in case she gave birth. I saw her several times throwing up and so I would change her towel for her. I never touched touched the throw up with my bare hands just used the towel and wrapped it upon itself. I still had some scratches from some cats and dogs earlier that day. After handling whatever came out of the cat I always washed my hands with chlorhexiderm too keep anything on my hands from spreading to other animals in the clinic/kennels.

I don't know if I contracted the virus or not, let alone if Katie is positive for the rabies virus. I told Dio and I can tell that he is concerned. It is transmitted through saliva and can only enter through an open wound. Dio had bitten his tongue only a few days before and we had been kissing alot. So if we do have to get shots then it will be a series of shots I think and they are given on certain amount of days.

If the test comes back positive will Dio have to get shots too? If they come back positive for rabies and we don't have to get the shots I wonder if I still could get them just to be safe? confused

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
i dont know much a bout rabies

but the feeling in my belly thinks you'll be okay hug kiss

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

1,032 posts

Posted:
hug Thank you!

Rabies is a virus that affects mammals and their nervous systems. It sorta makes them go crazy and insane.

I hope that the tests will be negative and she died from another cause

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
frown i hope it comes back negative! you guys have to let me know as soon as you do cause you're gonna have me worrying lots!!!

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

1,032 posts

Posted:
I hope its negative also. But if it's positive then we will get shots and all will be good.

I will keep you and everybody else who wants to know informed.
I go back to work in about 45mins and maybe the results will be in..I hope. Most likely tomorrow I will know ubbrollsmile

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Is it rabies that has a long incubatin time. If so at least you have heaps of time to get treated.

Hope all is fine.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
yeah, and they have better ways to treat it now than the horror stories of 20 painful shots in the abdomen that they used to administer.

don't worry about human to human infection. As far as I have ever heard, there are only 8 medically documented cases of this, and all are from cornea transplants from cadavers.

Also, your chances of having contracted it are rather slim if you were never bitten, In vary rare cases, it has been transmitted by saliva being indirectly exposed to eyes or mucus membranes via transfer on the fingers or such, but this is VERY rare. But if the cat does come out positive for rabies, better safe than sorry - get the treatment. It is expensive, but your work is surely responsible for that expense. Sue their asses for reckless endangerment if they don't pay for it (oops... that's my latent americanism coming out now... sorry!)

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

1,032 posts

Posted:
The rabies test on the cat came back NEGATIVE!!!!! biggrin

I'm soooo happy!!!!!!!! biggrin <---can't ya tell? *smirk*

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i already gave you my yay! but i'll give it again

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok i feel better now, can stop worrying bout you and dio!

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Must be a relief. It horrid to have to treat animals like they are infectious instead of being to give them the affection they deserve.

Good to hear that the job is working out OK though.
Take care hug

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Very glad to hear that you are okay! Have known a couple of people who've had to get the shots. Not pleasant! hug hug hug