Forums > Social Chat > Troupes and their names

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Rick aka LokiBRONZE Member
134 posts

Posted:
Hi, all.My troupe was performing (just minor gigs)during the spring and summer as "Cirque du Flambe". I had a hunch this would be a temporary name as it was a pretty obvious play on words so someone else was probably using it. This turned out to be true.Our name now is "The Ash Circle". I'm hoping no one is using this. This has been discussed for stage names, but I couldn't find a string like it for troupe names, so here goes...If you perform as a troupe, what's your name? What would you like it to be? Tell us about yourselves: the number of members, level of professional activity, any gripping soap operas and love triangles in your midst? Do you eat together? pick bugs out of each others' hair? that sort of thing...

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
NAR is the dwarvin word for fire... NARtistiqueis the name of my trilingual one person troupe.

Missymember
10 posts

Posted:
Im in a few groups, Cult du feu and Dragonfire. Both are in AZ the first is totally fire oriented and includes boys and girls. Dragonfire is a mix of fire and bellydancing,and is more of a girlie thing. If you register your name as a trademark or business with the corporation comission in your state they'll run a state check for you. you can also pay companies online to do a more extensive search. Also try just doing a regular search on the net. this may give you an idea if any one else is using it.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Let's see...I have Pyromorph....tagline..Let the Fire Change You. We do only professional shows from parties to Ren Faires. All modes of fire are our playthings.Other's that I know of, who are not so frequent on here, or who are not on here at all.....Fire Works Dance Co. in Australia.Fireworks in Western US.Thermogenesis, USCabiri, USPyroSutra, USPyrotica, USPyrotechnique, can't rememberThere are two Cirque Du Flambe's, one on each side of the US.FireFlies Fireflys...one of these is in us, one of these is in USFuego Boys (fire & breakdancing), USFuego Girls (fire & bellydancing), USFire Fairies, AusPheonix Tribe, USPheonix Society, USDragon Tribe, USBelly of the Dragon, USCirc de Fuego, USUsually if it has anything to do with Gods or mythology, it is taken.If the name is incorporated, service marked or trademarked then it can not be used by anyone without the permission of the owner. Such as, if someone wants to use Pele the Fire Gypsy or Pyromorph, they have to get my permission and pay a service fee, otherwise I can sue since I own both names. (saying this for an example here, please don't jump on me for being bitchy! smile)I admire your searching for a name. It shows a great deal of respect and forethought.I think a name should show creativity and a reflection of what you do it good, outside of just the fire swinging. For instance, when I hear Cirque, Circ or anything Circus related I tend to think more stunt and theater than just swinging or dancing. Just an idea.Good Luck to you!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
We go under the name of the wick effect, and it includes flash fire and myself, more recently to include heather and dangerboy, though heather is leaving us frownWe are ever changing as people live's change and different circusmtance, for example, Finn is a major part of the group, but at the moment cannot perform cause she is pregnant, but when the baby is born and its safe for her to start twirling again she will be back as well!Its exciting having different twirlers every few months, new ideas, and new styles to play with.

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
Couple of goodies here in PerthThermal EchoFire at RandomThe Flaming Butterflies------------------fe fi foo fun

fe fi foo fun

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
my troupe back home in bellingham is called OPA! OPA! is a greek exclamation meaning "joy of life" it is a word that is yelled out when you drop something or light it on fire. we also use it as an apreviation for Otherworldly Pyromancers Anonymous.

Chakanmember
68 posts

Posted:
Well our fire troupe is called "Memory and Dreams" consiting of myself, tarzan, fire_hazard and karen. We are looking for temps in SA to join on and off for Gigs.

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
Our fire troupe is called Fireweavers, we are all based in and around London UK.There are just less than 15 members and we have just started up so we have not done many gigs together.Dave

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

earthdreamermember
116 posts

Posted:
hi i am fortunate enough to know some beautiful twirlers and we are ever growing...our name is Luna Flare, we have had the fortune of twirling with pyro-maniacs of Earthdream...and well we just love to have fun and convoy across the country, spreading the magic i guess...at the moment we are 8(i think!!!!) and are working on incorperating human puppetry into our acts...as well as surface peircing...we have all spent time living together in forests mansions beaches and vans all overand yeah, believe it or not we pick bugs out of eachothers hair....they my circus family funksters and i love em.... smile

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Our group in Boston is called Anthelion. It's kinda hard to pronounce but we wanted to pick something different than pyro/thermo/gods.An anthelion is a luminous, white, halo-like area occasionally seen in the sky opposite the sun on the parahelic circle. Nomad

stiltfiremember
19 posts

Posted:
Our group in Chicago is called Centrifugal Burn.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I forgot there are also groups calledBurn! and The Calefaction Society, both in the US

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
not actually a group yet but me and Hitokage are working on forming one, and its gonna be called Firestorm, so if no one else has it, weve got dibs...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Sinthiamember
2 posts

Posted:
A few others I know of: Flamethrowers (the troupe I perform with), GotFire?, Midnight Sun, Esoterotica, Orbital Bliss, Pyrogeist, Flam Chen.

~Sinthia

Antti_Panttimember
17 posts

Posted:
I bet you don't have these...Tuliryhmä Etna (my group, the Firegroup Etna)Tulikansa (the Firepeople)Polte (Burning)All these groups are from Helsinki, Finland. Oh yeah, my other group is called Vesikauhu for now. It mean's rabies but also the fear of water..Etna (5 + coreographic director) and Tulikansa (8-12) are the professional groups in Finland and Polte is a new group doing a good job also. There's some group in Tampere also that does more of a freak show with piercing and fire..

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I feel left out everyone else has a group...I know - I'm going to found the fire group Fire Oddfellows for everyone who has no-one else smileJosh

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
Josh, you can join me...we could be the flaming idiots.....------------------fe fi foo fun

fe fi foo fun

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey - I like that one! smileFlaming Idiotsfeaturing the one and the only;Flaming FoobaaWith special guest Flaming Idiot, for one night only;Josh the Flaming Hippy!Make sure to give em all a warm welcome!Josh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Christ theres a lot of you fire flies in Austrailia. I swear every third post is from there. Anyway, My favorite name I've heard so far is "THE DEATH GUILD" they perform at the burning man art festival in the Nevada desert.

Jesus helps me trick people.

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
DEATH GUILDdo do fire performances, but are more known for their thunder dome, and gothic characteristics.Josh and I saw them when we went to Burning Man.Although we never came across Dianna the Huntress, which I was quite miffed over.------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Death Guild..I was more impressed with their costume (straight Mad Max). I thought their twirling was sub-standard. even by Burning Man standards (where every man and his dog is twirling some flaming object - usually for the first time since last BM)Josh

eturn80member
15 posts

Posted:
Dont ask me why, don't ask me how, but we are... THE FLAMING PUSSIES!!!!!!!Mixed gender, we twirl, stick, juggle(not fire yet), Spit (and swallow *wink wink*) were not professionals, though some of us twirls at an almost professional level. Just a bunch of stoners that like to meet at the beach occasionally!

Belgarathmember
51 posts

Posted:
"The Third Degree"Is what we have dubbed our casual beach group. Luckly the name has not reflected anything true to life and hopefully never will!------------------The Sand...The Surf... The Flame.

The Sand...The Surf... The Flame.

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I sometimes perform with a couple of others we are known as Hoi Poi Polloi. But we haven't had any gigs for ages cos we've all been doing our own thing.

Are we nearly there yet?

Ignis Devocomember
67 posts

Posted:
Ignis DevocoIndustrial Fire CircusBReakdown:"Ignis Devoco" means "Call down the Fire".... "Industrial" because of the metal and tools and the women are amazons..so kind of like industrial strength....."Fire Circus"..becuase we do a variety of things but they all include fire....what's your name? IGnis Devoco Industrial Fire Circus...What would you like it to be?Ignis Devoco Industrial Fire CircusTell us about yourselves: www.ignisdevoco.comNumber of members? 5 of us. Two boys, Three GirlsLevel of professional activity:On average we do 2 professional paid performances a month and have performed at various festivals around the country... Any gripping soap operas and love triangles in your midst?No soap operas but one of us is expecting a baby and one of us just found their soul mate so it is a really exciting and beautiful timeDo you eat together?As much as possiblePick bugs out of each others' hair? that sort of thing... Ummmm No but we have all seen eachother naked... smile In other words we all spend a lot of time with each other and have created kind of a Fire Family[This message has been edited by Ignis Devoco (edited 07 December 2001).]

firefabulonmember
12 posts

Posted:
Obviously we are The Fire Fabulon--our log in name.Our first show is/was billed as The Fire Fabulon presents: Pyrovac--sucking you out of your world!!It's an outer space themed show this time around. We have six members and acts include, poi, fire fingers/fans, staff and fire staff fighting, fire juggling, breaking blocks on fire,double staff, fire eating/breathing, trapeze, Latin dancing on broken glass lined with fire, tight rope, whip cracking, etc. Basically every act has fire in it somewhere.We are taking on the Midwest of the US.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by Cantus

Meh

orangemember
158 posts

Posted:
hiya i`m rich orange statement or fact?who knows smilei`m a member of... critical orange with 'birdy' (i`m 'hairy') &i`ve been playing with firetribe for years...am based in yorkshire-but we do shows all over england ireland germany & in summertime spains many islands smile'i don`t want to set the world on fire..'the inkspots - er well actually...------------------swoopedinandswoopedoutagain...orange...xxx...

swoopedinandswoopedoutagain...orange...xxx...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Bendy did you get my email? Do you see what i mean?

Meh

Charlymember
68 posts

Posted:
The Cabiri~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*meaning:In the histories of Herodotus, the Cabiri are spirits which are encountered on the Isle of Samothrace in the Mediterranean. Further research brings us to the steppes of Anatolia where we see the Cabiri worshipped as fire genii. The name also shows up later on in history, in the Greco-Roman mythos:Cabiri were minor deities, assiociated with the northern Aegean Sea and adjacent mainlands. Their parentage and also about them in general is not known, although Hephaestus was said to be their father. They were celebrated by the people of Lembos and also had a cult in Thebes.~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~As far as the other stuff:Number of members:Varies. The core troupe is five of us, but we have a big group of students and other artists who often join us in performance. Our New Year's Eve show will feature 18 performers.Level of professional activity:Bringing performance involving fire to a whole new level of professionalism! We get to perform on world class stages with fire, alongside full union-certified stagehands, lighting designers, musicians, etc. It's pretty neato, but we've worked very hard to get here.Our performance income fully supports the troupe, all our equipment, rehearsal space rental, etc. That's taken a lot of effort too, but it's been worth it. We eat, breathe, and sleep our organization and troupe!Any gripping soap operas and love triangles in your midst? No, thank Goddess. We wouldn't be able to function if that were the case. We have had romances develop amongst troupe members, but we ended up having to cut one of them loose because it was too distracting and disruptive. We pride ourselves on being pretty separate from the local fire community, it keeps us sane and happy. We're moving into the realm of 'theatre troupe that occasionally uses fire' rather than 'fire performers'. It opens up a lot more opportunities...Do you eat together? pick bugs out of each others' hair? that sort of thing... During production, we do everything together. We rehearse 3-4 nights a week, teach poi-swinging 1 night a week, and work on set-building, costume and prop construction, and choreography together. It's a very intimate relationship - we really have to respect and care about our co-performers to make it work.I love our little family. smile~*Charly*~The Cabiriwww.cabiri.org

Page: