cutie poi girliemember
237 posts

Posted:
do you hate it when people watch u practice? The other day i was spinning in my drive, when my neighbor cameout and started raking up leaves in his drive...fine...until he just stopped and watched me. HOW offputting...specially as i kepttrying to do the BTB weve..and failling miserably... wink does this ever happen to anyone else? CPG

Luv peace 'n' chicken grease Al X x

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
Yea, it puts me off too but then I just start pulling out the moves I'm more confident with and I feel much more at home. Not too much of a problem out the back of our place but you do see the odd curtain twitcher!------------------"The tincture of night began to suffuse the soup of the afternoon. He considered the sentence, and found it good. He liked 'tincture' particularly. Tincture. Tincture. It was a distinguished word, and pleasantly countered by the flatness of 'soup'. The soup of the afternoon. Yes. In which may be found the croutons of teatime."

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I always start dropping things as soon as peaple come along, but I believe that if you want to perform in public you should be able to practice there too. Peaple are funny here, the adults will try their hardest to ignore you and pretend their not watching (specially if Im obviously practicing rather than performing) but their kids will ALWAYS come and sit down and watch and then ask you questions. 'Why do you do that?' and stuff.I have to practice in public cos theres no-where else. Its alright.X

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Blackfiremember
15 posts

Posted:
Hi CPG,I hate this too, especially when they skirk at you when the poi hits you. Tell your neighbor direcly that you dont like it when he is watching you while practising and promise to show him the move when you got it. It helps!Blackfire

Blackfire

Scootmember
28 posts

Posted:
Hey all. For me, people watching doesnt bother me. Most of the time people are amused with simple weaves and windmills. smile Scoot

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yeah, but doing the easy, crowd stuff is not the point of practice, practice is a long period of repeatedly injuring yourself untill you get it right. And I for one dont like strangers standing around when I hit myself in the balls. But hey...N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Scootmember
28 posts

Posted:
I dunno. I dont mind people watching me, probly its my mentality that the chances of those watching, have no idea even how to do a simple weave. But, I usually practice in my house, or in my backyard where no one can see me. smile

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
yeah, the backyard is great, i dont mind my family watching me so its fine, but if im ever in my driveway practicing, ill drop my poi or staff, im not sure why, im just uncomfortable, not performing mind you, just practicing, but then again, when i pratcie the poi reguarly seem to make bee lines for my ass, which can be embarassing...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
oh, and scoot, wher in maine is hampden, cause we go up to maine each summer, and i was wondering if our vacation spot was anywhere near there, i would tell you the vacation spot, but it ecscapes me at the moment...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
A while back I was spinning in the back garden in the middle of the night. I couldn't see anything outside the fiery aura surrounding me. Suddenly someone coughed in a neighbouring garden which, to say the least, made me jump. I carried on spinning simply saying "quiet or you'll put me off!""sorry" came the reply from about a dozen voices in various gardens all around.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~In regards to the nervousness thing. The other night at Headcharge wilst spinning Tempest's homemade glowstaff (for about 5 minutes wasn't it before you left again mate? grin) I was supremely nervous for no good reason I can think of and fumbled very easy passes and catches.Maybe it was just the night or something. I know the UV glow from a nearby stall was slightly glarey and a tad off putting.------------------C@ntusIn the past, the fools would pay, to see the freaks of the day. The contradictions of the norm. The bizarre, the wonderful and deformed.No need for the tents and the cages now. The wool is over our eyes. In front the TV circus - a freakshow in disguise.

Meh

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Sorry dude, I will make up for it at the next one. Plus I should have the next version of the glow staff for us to groove with. Contact me when you have recovered from this one ! Later, TEMPEST

swiftythefireguymember
61 posts

Posted:
I HAVE OFTEN SPENT HOURS IN MY FRONT YARD SPINNING MY STAFF AROUND MORE AND MORE THE NEIGHBOURS BECAME CURIOUS AS TO WHAT THE HELL I WAS DOING (I NEVER USED FIRE AT THE HOUSE)IN PARTICULAR THE FAMILY ACROSS THE STREET AND THIER HOTTIE DAUGHTER SO ON THE NIGHT I MOVED OUT PUT ON THE TORCHES AND LET'ER RIP THE WHOLE BLOCK WAS OUTSIDE IN A MATTER OF MINUATS . WHEN THE TORCHES DIED I TOOK A BOW A WAS NEVER SEEN AGAIN

dont ever ask me whta time it is ?where are we? or are we there yet? because the time is now!we here !and we wil never be there !

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
I don't like to have people watch me practice when I'm at home. It kinda puts me off as I spend most of the time trying to untangle my strings or hitting myself in various places. I find myself regressing to basic moves that I allready have down just so I don't look like a complete screwup.However, if I am in a public place practicing, onlookers don't bother me. It's bound to happen. I mean, to the average person I must look prety weird spinning these tennise balls/glow sticks on string.I think it's based on principle. I practice at home for the privacy more then anything. If I want privacy, I don't like being watched. Well, that's my take.------------------'There is a fist pressing against anyone who thinks something compelling'

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I really hate it when my family watch me practice, mainly because they really take the piss when I mess up.Practicing with strangers watching makes me nervous, but since they don't tend to laugh at me so much when I make a mistake, I don't get too bothered.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
(heh...I like to watch....)OOh where did that come from!!Have gone to the park to practice quite often, and people never really seem to watch for too long, but have had a couple of really cute girls wanna learn how to....so of course I had to oblige and teach them some basics....------------------fe fi foo fun

fe fi foo fun

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
having people watching you while you practise can be a good thing, i mean ive tended to notice that most people dont really care anyway, they look for maybe 10 minutes then cruise off. its good to force yourself to focus on the moves your doing and ignore outside interference, it can be good for your technique.anyway who are you practising for? just be proud that youre doing it, no matter how good you are. if you do it in public and people watch, some of them might go "wow" gotta give that a go. and then we can all revel and rejoice in the greatness of the poi"in welfare we trust!!"

Gheumember
28 posts

Posted:
Whiffle Squeek,I also live in Hampden, so I can also answer your question. Hampden is right next to Bangor (good centerpiece), about an hour and a half from Agusta, and the same from milinocket. Any other questions e-mail me Gelal@mac.com------------------A pig that doesn't fly is just an ordinary pig - Porco Rosso

A pig that doesn't fly is just an ordinary pig - Porco Rosso

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I find that if I try something new and get it a couple of times, I want to show it to someone. However once I do have someone watching - I can't get it!! Frustrating smile

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
And, before Bendy comes along to make this joke, I should point out that there is also a Bangor in Wales (not very funny. But neither was confusing Cardiff in California with Cardiff, South Wales)There's a Bangor in Ireland too.I fear I shall have to stop before my sides split from laughing too much tongue

Meh