Forums > Social Chat > Getting Started in the Snow

Login/Join to Participate

Lihannan Sheamember
1 post

Posted:
Hello to all! I come seeking guidance and hopefully answers to my questions. I live in Minnesota, and there just isn't a large base of Poi here. Lots of fire breathers, but no twirling that I've been able to hunt down. Does anyone live in the area? Or know of someone that could point me in the right direction? I am looking for someone to help coach maneuvers and techniques, fire safety and handling, and equiptment making and storage. Okay, that's about all that I have up front here, so I'll stop wasting space! wink

coarsemop on firemember
9 posts

Posted:
got the same problem as you have. i'm in germany, in munich and there is nobody, absolutely noboy doin this stuff! sticky situation, isn't it? wish you good luck and lots of people!

PeterBmember
20 posts

Posted:
I hear you guys! I'm up here in lonely ol Maine and haven't been able to track anybody down either. It's starting to get cold too, time to start practicing with the winter gloves and coat!Are there any twirling gatherings in New England? Peterwww.peterboie.com

----------------------what is fire? Magic!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Be careful what you wish for... In New York City we're up to our ears in fire twirlers and it sucks... Party after party, tons of wonderful, sweet, generous, interesting people all banded together with a common bond, lots of places to spin, tons of different styles to be inspired by, barely able to walk down my street without bumping into a smiling fire-performing face...Oh wait, did I say sucks? My bad. I guess it's pretty dang cool. The only sucky part is trying to get all of them together in the same place. We rarely have more than 6-8 in the same place at the same time. Except for really large events like "Burning Man Decompression" two weeks ago where there well over 50 fire people in some form or another... Unless some poor unsuspecting Home of Poi-er is in on the weekend... then, for some reason, that's the week that everyone is busy... frown

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Yea, I havent met any staffers.. though one guy from my city came to this chat that did poi. So if there is one, you would figure there will be more. smileIn alberta, Canada here we got lots of snowfall.. so I havent been able to practice much (and I just started too :P) ahh well I still get to practice once in awhile smile Need to get me some of those gel gloves (they are very thin so I could twirl with them on)------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

blue_flameBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
NYC, 6 - 8 people at once?! And your complaining wink! :-D That sounds pretty good by my standards, I've only met one other fire twirler ever (my sister)! I wish there were more around here...anyways...there will be, I just gotta get them started!Chris

Defy Gravity!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
All you have to do is start spinning. Your friends will see it and they will think it's cool and want to do it, then their friends will see it and want to do it and so on and so on. So just start doing it, it doesn't matter if your good or not people see fire and they are always entertained. As for getting started Staffs and chains are easy to make or purchase, if you are so finacially inlclined, and this web site alone has more than enough technique and technical discussion to keep you busy for a long time. So have fun and keep your fire on a leash.

Jesus helps me trick people.

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
hmmmm, i can get two together, me and hitokage, but hes not into it as much as he used to be, and i dont ever get totgether with him just so spin, so yeah, oh well...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!