Forums > Social Chat > COL2, what's the verdict?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
sandmanmember
65 posts

Posted:
ooooh! I stay away for a month (been too busy working) and come back only to find the new vid's done and dusted! Obviously I ordered it straight away, then came over to the forum to hear what people are saying about it. But... no topics! Hasn't anyone seen it yet?Can't wait...

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
Cass, you're in big trouble.You're such a liar. I'm borrowing this from Pele so that I can watch your part a few more times. grin You are so much better in every category than you claimed. You aren't fat. You are cute. And you spinned well. I found your spinning to be very sexy, especially the candle scene. You move with a lot of grace and that's nice to see.Okay, onto the rest of the video. I thought the staff spinner kid at the end was awesome. He kept tossing it and catching. Something I hadn't seen much of aside from baton twirlers.I think many people need more lighting when spinning in the dark. I couldn't see them.kudos to Malcolm for getting outside help on the music. Much improved over COL1.Overall, very nice.------------------"There no such thing as bad weather, only wrong clothes."Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
I knew it! Nomad and Code128 looked awfully the same. I thought they must have been twins or something smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I told that to PWB too Nomad! It was funny, and I mean no offence but when I saw the first part of you all I could think is "He must be warming up" then when I saw the second part of yours I laughed cause I knew it wasn't Code 128. I feel bad for Dr. Spin as well. Oh well.My biggest gripe (Other than Cassandra trying to sucker us all into her "No really, I am nothing to look at and can't spin" diatribe wink) is that people need to learn that they need lighting other than the fire so that we can see clearly for the duration of the spin. (Much improved on that Robert Michael!!! smile) Very lovely there Cassandra with the candles. Beautiful segment.Malcolm, I think you did a wonderful job.Kudos to the amazing musicians from this board. Such talent abound!However, my absolute favorite moment on the entire video was Ben King (who I believe is the double staff in the backyard guy from NZ, near the end of the vid). Not only is he really a great spinner but there was one point where the camera zoomed into his face while he was coming about, he looked at the camera with this "Come hither, you know you want to" look in his eyes and this coy smile that I just found very sexy. Ladies, it is closer to the end of his segment in the double staves and it goes by in a second (I rewound to make sure I really did see it).What a showman! Yum!Nicely done all, especially you Malcolm.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
I watched the video last night, and WOW!!!holy crap, I am amazed, I didn't even know you could do a lot of that stuff.. my eyes were popping out of my head to some of the people! and not just the sexy girls either..for example bassman with the letting go of the poi and catching them, that blew my mind.and the guy from vancouver spinning with the double staffs was awesome too. (forget the name right now) so smooth and flowing, i hope I can get that good one day. I think I am going to get in touch with him..xoichdance(spelling), that segment was amazing, so epic and beautiful.tribe of the burning sock, awesome, i'd love to go to NY and see that in person.sage, wow, so good. even without the ass shot smilexaeda = so graceful and beautiful.. I can do pretty much everything you do on the video, but i can't look nearly as good doing it. I'm honored to have lost to you. wow, i was in total awe the whole way through.one small complaint, it sucks that the music was replaced.I carefully choose my song, and my routine was very synced to it. listening to the track that's playing when I am spinning makes it look a lot worse in my opinion..but, it's OK, I understand that you needed to do that, otherwise the audio quality and volume would be jumping all over the place probably..so, all in all, good job malcom.and everybody on the video that I didn't mention, you rocked too, i realize now how much of a novice i really am(i was cringing when I watched my part compared to everyone else's). this time next year, i'll have learned every trick on that tape!!wahoo!------------------~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I watched the COL video quite a few times yesterday evening and was really mesmerized by it...Xochidance... Your spinning is a fantastic reflexion of your soul, or what little I've come to see. You dance with a joy and a FREEDOM that gave me the urge to stand up and grab my poi. Amazing smileNYC tribe of the Burning sock (the image of the burning sock kind of looked like a ... burning condom to me , sorry !!!). I loved the diversity of styles, age, the individual and group scenes, the chemistry between the people and the simple joy that showed in you eyes. I sure hope to spin with you when I come to NYC. smileBassman, your throws ... Can't wait for you to finally show me some of this magic next summer ! real cool. yet... may I say i was not a great fan of the powerskips. looks fun and I do want to try them, but they did not add anything to your spinning IMHO. rest was really challenging and great !D from Vancouver, I loved the Kung-Fu ish style of the spinning !!! And Rufinder (pardon my not remembering your name) Loved your part too. the view "from under" was quite innovatice and good !!!!Nomad, you know I loved your style an I allready told you what I liked and disliked. You rock. BUT, yesterday I noticed that hilarious bit where you set the grass on fire (doing some move I don't really remember) and then you almost stop spinning and step on the tiny fire with such energy and ecological conscience ... it was sweet winkHeather and Frenzie... like the style but SO wished I could see MORE. Another good reason to visit OZ smileXaeda, what can I say ? When I see you or Flash I just want to grab teh staff and play (or should I say hit myself which is still the level I am at now wink ) Really inspiring but I so wish we could see you withe the frie staff some day ... maybe next COL ????Anyway, thanks for the inspiration to everyone. My eyes and mind are full of fire and grace and energy and tomorrow's saturday and Alternativa is coming to Paris and we'll get to spin together YAY and life pretty great smileShine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

djrubiomember
3 posts

Posted:
woohoo! i just got my copies in the mail!!! my vcr is broken though.. lol, so i'll watch tonight at a friend's house grin hehee!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Funny, I had actually boycotted this thread for a while figuring with all of the peacocking that went on BEFORE the video, surely this would just turn into a "I should have won" fest... or at least an "Everyone else sucks" fest.Nice to see that I was wrong. smileI haven't seen the video but I guess there is some of my tribe on there... I'm curious to see who... (I know that I'm not as it was filmed well after 9:00 on a school night... smile)So this Cassandra chick is cute and actually spins fire, huh... I thought it was just a rumor. tongue

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
NYC, I could actually identify about 10 of the city peeps from when I met them on the roof top and then at the river spin, so in other words, alot of them made it. Just so you know and can wiggle with even more anticipation. smile ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Has any one seen the new COL2 Flick? If you have I feel that SAGE has Blown the compitition out of the water!! I have watched it over and over again, and picked up So many new moves!! THANK YOU SAGE!!!!!I was feeling a bit stag, before I recieved the video. Now I am spinning in Alaska in -20 degrees!!!Hope my fingers don't turn black, and fall off! SKI

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

RaVe4bEaNzmember
3 posts

Posted:
Hey how would i go about getting this tape!! I wanna see Sage everyone is saying she is a Poi Goddess!!! Let me know if anyof you can help even though im in NY! Peace and happy spinning!!

~~~K~~~

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
yeah sages was awesome, but some of the other poiiers blew my mind too.by the way, i was complaining about the videos being edited and the sound taken out.So, I encoded my entry video to mpg format, you can download it from my friends website at https://www.systemimage.comdirect
download : https://www.systemimage.com/firespin.mpg
120Mb------------------~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Come on, 120 MB? Can't you squeeze it down a bit more than that? Shouldn't be more than 10 MB, even at top quality.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
I got a friend to do the compression for me. he said that's as small as he could get it without it looking bad.your right though, that is huge, I have fullscreen ones that look clearer, with better sound quality, that are only 13Mb.I'll see what I can do.------------------~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

Shinomorimember
24 posts

Posted:
The first COL video suck. Jo Derry owns. He's the only person worth getting the video for. I feel everyone else moves were corny, especially that guy in the end with the photons or something. He kept looking to his left and his form was horrible. Jo Derry is real smooth in twirling. Too bad I heard he doesn't like wraps. RaverSurge is getting the video soon, I'll be sure to check it out.

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
to each his own of course, but when i got the first COL vid, i was still quite impressed because of all the different approaches to our art. i compared everyone elses style to my own, not to critique their ability, but to reflect on how awesome our diversity in this is. jo derry was quite amazing, i agree, but there was definitely a lot of other real talent on there also. one can also look at this like a growing family experience also. in the beginning, in our infancy, and then if the same people submit a video for a later competition, see how their skill has flowered into something really spectacular. it is all mindset, and it all depends on what a person is aiming to get out of each vid.

Wow

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I hear you Shibaki! I love watching the Diffrent Approches to our Art! Although I do Critique and try to incorporate some of thier styles into my own. I love the Dancing! People who use their whole bodys. I see to many People (mostly GUYS) who just use thier arms. Get into the Groove I say smile Let go, and go with the flow!Do not think, Just Do it.We are all in a Constant Circle.I hope to get my act together and enter the next comp. I have footage, but no means to edit.Talk to you all soon,SKI(Fire Spirit)PS. RaVe4bEaNz, you can get the COL2 Flik in the HOP Shop.

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Really jo derry doesnt like wraps???jeez... i wonder why...[This message has been edited by NightShade1 (edited 23 December 2001).]

Dance like if noone were watching you

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
I think I've been a little misunderstood... I have nothing against wraps but I am a dancer - I perform in nightclubs - sometimes paid, sometimes not. I spin differently to music than on videos because I feel it's extremely important to hit the beats of the tunes with your moves. For me wraps are difficult to achieve this with, especially with fast music. Of course other spinners will have overcome this with practice, but I'm a lazy ass. I'm sure everyone has groups of moves they tend to shy away from, and some favourites. Let's just say wraps aren't one of my favourites - I still like 'em though in the right time and place.Jo.ps sorry about the off-topic...

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
wohoo, i got my copy this morning! fantastic staff and poi all round. i know were all gonna have favorites as on COL1, so for me sage is mine. well done to you all that played a part in a fantastic poi flick grin.and i completly agree with jo above..i studied you mpegs fer hours and learned a lot of moves and from seeing you spin at the poi in the park last month your even better in the flesh..you have an incredible style that i noticed the first time i saw kato spinning at gatecrasher a while back... i said you've been learning from jo haha nice to see that ppl can incorporate otheres styles into their own..dont quite know what style i'd call my own but its mine and i can do it with pride:dpk

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
The videos are an amazing experience on all sorts of levels. If you don't have a copy you realy need to look into it. I'm going to have to disagree with the previous comment on the first video not being any good. Really its the same as the HOP web sight the whole thing is an entity that is constantly growing in every direction possible. If you are new to the twirling arts GET THE VIDEOS. They can realy answer just about any quiestion you might have in regards to form. If I had bought the first video when I was new, I wouldn't have wasted alot of my time coming up with ideas that had already been done. Thank you to all those who took the time to send in videos for the rest of us to watch, and thank you Malcom for taking the time to put it all together. Each of your styles is a source of inspiraton.------------------Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with "normal" people.

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
I would just like to add, the col 1 didnt suck at all, maybe if we all sent in footage then there would be a greater chance of an even better col3. just look back at when you all first started spinning, seems crap now huh, but back then i bet you were running around jumping for joy cos you just got that reverse weave down to a tee! and maybe thought you knew enought to make a quick flick to send in. So as we all look back on col 1 we have all progresses so much in time as we learn more, flow more and get our own rythems and styles together to make a fantastic piece of performing art. Dont critisize other's of their ability as once you were "in the same boat as to say!"pass on the knowledge and love every one else's abilities not just our own.peace and lovepk

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
Iasspire to be that good, well done everybody smile------------------Trance the sacred spiral dance.Love and LightSpiral

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Wow. I just watched the first CoL. I liked it. A lot smileI am gonna let that sit with me overnight and crack out CoL2 tomorrow.Man I got me some practising to do!!------------------Iggity-aggity-oop-eh-eh! Ziggity-zaggity-zoo-ah-ah! Oooh-ooh-phblt! Eh-eh-ackh! Flippity-flappity-floop!

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Wrenmember
33 posts

Posted:
Damn, I just got my copy a little while ago. It's great; fucking fantastic, actually. Watched it with a friend yesterday and I was stunned again (so was he) by the skill of the performers. Some random girl wandered into the room while we were watching and she's going to try to start learning poi now too.Sage, well, she was very good. Actually, she inflamed my sense of inferiority wink My friend stated, shortly after her session began, that she was quite sexy. I'll admit, if I was attracted to those icky girls I would most-definetly have to agree. She did a great job of flirting with the camera.However, the segment I liked the most was easily Xochidance. Christ, he was so, well, incredible! The way he danced around on the beach (I especially liked it when he kicked up sand) was just amazing. My new goal in life is to be able to perform like that (which, of course, includes having the great body).Ok, enough of my little school-girl chatter. Everyone else on the tape was very impressive as well. Ben King, your performance was very cool, I especially liked the kids watching from the porch. Bassman, you've got mad juggling skillZ. Whoever was first, I was just amazed by your wraps. Staff people (I've never seriously attempted staff, so I can't appreciate you as much) you were all pretty impressive. I especially liked that one guy that did a lot of one-handed single staff really fast. Um, yeah.And, yes, it would be nice (especially for the more advanced spinners, I assume) to have the lighting be a little better so they could see the moves better. Of course, fire isn't nearly as impressive when its not dark. There was one segment whose lighting I really liked...Ben King, I think.Yes.-------------------Wren"Well, what d'ya think we should do?" "Hrm, well, I could throw the babies out of the tower and you could catch them in a basin..." "A basin?!?" "Yes, a basin." "Well, that might just work..."

-WrenAnd that, my friends, is condensed evil.

RaVeRxSurGemember
18 posts

Posted:
I don't think that the COL2 wuz that good... i mean i didn't think anything wuz new realli... onli thing that wuz new was sages side behind the back butterflies... and i realli realli wuz angri at the fact that stalls were edited out of the video... i mean you poi people realli need to see some nice stalls, wrist wraps, bicep wraps, handcuff wraps, behind the back bicep wraps, you guyz realli i need u to see some nice stalls/wraps... i mean you poiers think ur hot shit cuz u can do btb 5 beat or btb 360s and quad corkscrews and 5beat 360s... that is nothing... once u get into short strings/chains and play around with the different variety of wraps you can do and different transitions and infinite wraps that are possible, then you're realli opening up your eyes

-RaVeR SurGe

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
what if i told you i thought wraps were for newbies and take no skill to do?------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Please, get over this "my wraps are better than your silly moves" crap. We went over this before and I think most everybody here agreed that the technical skills were not all that matters in fire dancing.I love to watch the video of the NYC people. There's nothing that blows my mind technically on it, but it's very well filmed and edited so I'm always excited to watch it. Now, look at Cassandra. She doesn't do anything technically too hard (I'm sure nothing that you can't do), but do you notice how graceful she is? How she moves her body? That makes her one of my favorite people to watch on that video. Actually, when I show it to friends, I usually show Sage (for the impressive technical skills), the NYC tribe (for the cool underground vibe and amount of fire displayed), myself (well, it's my friends, they wanna see me!), and Cassandra (how beautiful is her candlelight setting).I've seen people do some really cool stuff with wraps, fast and well coordinated. It's fun. However, I would prefer BY FAR watching someone who shows flow and grace even if that person only does weaves and low turns.Nomad------------------A.N.T.H.E.L.I.O.Nwww.anthelion.org

Page: