• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Chat > Number of Poi Vs. Staff?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 12
GodlovinSponge

Total posts: 125
Posted:This Sponge is a staff artist, though I play around with poi if one of my friends happens to have one with him/her.Im just wondering what the ratio is of Staff and Poi.. and how many people do both regularly?Just wondered that when I saw how much more posts their are for poi than for Staff moves.------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

Delete Topic

sunbeam
SILVER Member since Nov 2001

sunbeam

old hand

Total posts: 1032
Posted:I love poi but am really enjoying learning a few basic staff moves at the moment. A lot of people I have spoken to see poi as more feminine and staff as more masculine but I think that's why they are both so fascinating. Am doing both regularly, at least once a week, at a workshop but I don't have my own staff... yet.
Non-Https Image Link
Just have to find a broom handle...
Non-Https Image Link
Sunbeam ------------------Life in the circus ain't easy but the folks on the outside don't know yeah well the tent goes up and the tent goes down and all that they see is the show and the ladies on the horses look so pretty and the lions are looking real mad and some of the clowns are happy and some of the clowns are sad. Welcome to the freakshow.. here we go (Freakshow by Ani di Franco)[This message has been edited by sunbeam (edited 29 November 2001).]

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

Delete

Shouden-CrD
SILVER Member since Apr 2001

Veteran Member

Total posts: 495
Posted:I must say..every time I see a woman twirl, I just about always think it is very sexy. However I twirl poi. Eventually I prolly will learn staff..at least enough to twirl it around a bit without dropping it. :P------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=razyRaverude=-

Delete

Pele
BRONZE Member since Dec 2000

Pele

the henna lady

Total posts: 6193
Posted:I do a bit of both, among other things, and really if it came down to my picking a fire preference...blowing all the way (now, now boys....get your mind away from that
Non-Https Image Link
)------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...http://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Delete

Posted:I started with staff....then I did a lot of poi, then I went to doing staff and poi equally (and sometimes at the same time
Non-Https Image Link
) and since I took up doubles, poi has taken a bit of a back seat. Although, I've just made some extra long trick poi (80cm of chain + wicks + handles + spinners), and am having lots of fun exploring all sorts of wraps that werent possible on my normal poi (although Katinca says its not very graceful).
Non-Https Image Link
Josh[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 29 November 2001).]

Delete

Amber
GOLD Member since Mar 2001

Amber

Total posts: 48
Posted:i started with poi and now use staff as well.there does seem to be alot of poiers on this board, yet here in australia you mainly see staff. i defininitly think poi is prettier to watch but i love to use both.

Delete

foobaa

foobaa

spinning for ages

Posted:Me do both...lets see..started juggling balls, riding a unicycle, then fire clubs, then a 6ft unicycle, then normal clubs, then staff, then poi, then double staff...hmmm where to now??------------------fe fi foo fun

fe fi foo fun

Delete

Cantus
SILVER Member since Jul 2001

Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity

Total posts: 15965
Posted:I, currently, do solely staff (single and double). I never got into poi. It just didn't occur to me to do it at first. Then when I did try I found that it didn't behave like staffs and I didn't like that so I put them (the poi) away. . . . . actually I buried them. But that's a different story.I disagree with the people that Sunbeam has spoken to about masculinity and femininity. The most gracefully exponant of fire chains I have ever seen was male (and extremely male too in all other aspects)Staff is in the minority her at the moment. But, that said, I suspect it's about to explode any minute from what i have experienced lately.I think staff can be very pretty to watch - if done right - but then I'm biased------------------C@ntusIn the past, the fools would pay, to see the freaks of the day. The contradictions of the norm. The bizarre, the wonderful and deformed.No need for the tents and the cages now. The wool is over our eyes. In front the TV circus - a freakshow in disguise.

"I'll carry this....It's harder to spill a hat" - Chellybean
"...like a rabbit caught in a lighthouse?" - Chellybean

Delete

Charles
BRONZE Member since Jun 2001

Charles

Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer

Total posts: 3989
Posted:Foobaa, A pretty simlar history with me, although I started unicycling after staff and still have yet to get into poi.You asked where to now? I'm currently learning to do double staff (1.4metres) on the unicyle. Talk about a challenge!I've also been told it looks ugly and a lot more ungraceful than josh's long superchains...
Non-Https Image Link
So i guess I better practice more.......
Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link
------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttp://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Delete

pozee
BRONZE Member since Mar 2017

old hand

Total posts: 886
Posted:i started with poi and then took up staff.there is not much femininity in the way i spin poi. but i do notice that more females (at least around here) do poi than males.

anyone got a light?

Delete

Teine

Total posts: 74
Posted:so far staff and none other. i have yet to make a decent "permanent" firestaff, but have several metal practice (diff weights/lengths) and a wooden temp-wicked. that's all about to change as soon as i can get some kevlar wicking....i've always wondered about poi...never really gotten around to seriously trying it though.------------------"life begins between the night and the light."[This message has been edited by Teine (edited 29 November 2001).]

life begins between the night and the light.

Delete

Cantus

Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity

Posted:That's funny Pozee, I think of you as very feminine. Must be the haircut.
Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Delete

pozee
BRONZE Member since Mar 2017

old hand

Total posts: 886
Posted:HEY! just because i shave my balls doesnt make me fem...i think i said too much this time. i am going to go now...

anyone got a light?

Delete

Posted:hehe Poz, I think youve been haning out with Myst too long
Non-Https Image Link
Josh

Delete

Bendy

Total posts: 750
Posted:At the moment I am only poi. But I do have a staff that I am working on - just gotta get around to ordering some kevlar and put it all together. Sometimes I muck around with the Al tubing that will be my staff - but not often.------------------Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bullshit before

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Delete

Mark P
BRONZE Member since Oct 2001

Mark P

old hand

Total posts: 1031
Posted:I started with Poi
Non-Https Image Link
about 5 or 6 weeks ago and I cant put the damn things down
Non-Https Image Link
I have however also purchased a 3 piece staff from the HoP shop so I hope to be able to put the chains down occasionally and play with me new toy.. o O (busy with designs at the moment too though more to follow on this when I have finished)------------------Mark P (the mad chemist)

Delete

Burnt

Total posts: 13
Posted:At the moment I only use poi but tomorrow Im heading down to the hardware store to buy staff parts (I guess that would be a pole).

Play with fire and you might get Burnt.

Delete

JeStEr

enthusiast

Total posts: 214
Posted:Started with norm devil sticks, after 6 months I got a fire staff and wick for the devil sticks, 6 more months and i got into poi (with fire straight off), and then further along the track somewhere I started to muck round with double sticks and juggling, also did breathing for a while with the fire water but gave up on that for health reasons.

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

Delete

catboy

Total posts: 167
Posted:started with poi, but have just brought my own staff after ages of twirling the mop handle out the kitchen... ...hasnt arrived in the post yet though... any ideas home of poi shopkeeper?...

you can take the cat out of the jungle, but you cant take the jungle out of the cat

Delete

J4Play

Total posts: 24
Posted:single staff then double staff.I just burnt myself. Worst yet measuring in at a whole 10cm x 1cm including blisters! Note to self: learn move to perfection before trying to impress friends with crossed staff behind head fancy business.

Delete

Thistle

Thistle

old hand

Total posts: 950
Posted:I do mainly poi but am trying (and failing) to learn staff. I also fire eat, body burn and stiltwalk, sometimes all at the same time!Onelove, Thistlefirepixie
Non-Https Image Link

Are we nearly there yet?

Delete

flaming_mad

Total posts: 34
Posted:I have only started poi in March so I still have lots to learn. I want to learn staff also and then move on to double staff. My problem is that I don't make enough time to practice poi. So starting a new toy is hard.

Delete

Supafly
BRONZE Member since Apr 2001

TNT

Total posts: 173
Posted:Started with poi about a year and a half ago and just recently started learned staff. I must say that double staves are a real pain in the ass but are fun to play with. It's a rare treat to come across a female doing poi here in the southeast US though. Maybe I'm hanging out at the wrong places???------------------"We do not inherit this Earth from our ancestors, but merely borrow it from our children"

Fear the evil monkey!

Delete

phuzzz

Total posts: 160
Posted:i started juggling fire when i was abou 11 years old and riding unicycle also did some baton twirling as a kid. i have memories of going to hawaii and taking poi lessons at about 13 been doing fire staff for a couple and chains for bout a month. just figuring out this body burnning thing... ouch! i burn myself again!

Delete

Cantus

Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity

Posted:Well Thistle, if you're at Headcharge and you can find a stick of some sort....

Delete

Charles
BRONZE Member since Jun 2001

Charles

Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer

Total posts: 3989
Posted:Number of poi versus staff???Well, I have one set of poi (barely used) and 7 staffs.So, a ratio of 1:7That sounds about right for a healthy relationship to me... hee hee.
Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link
------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttp://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Delete

foobaa

foobaa

spinning for ages

Posted:Umm I have about 6 pair of poi (including the frog poi...7) and 2 staffs...but I keep building more of the damn things!!!------------------fe fi foo fun

fe fi foo fun

Delete

Cantus

Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity

Posted:5 staffs:2 fire2 practice1 defying description

Delete

digital milk

Total posts: 37
Posted:2 socks on string.. d0h.. n00b!!
Non-Https Image Link

Delete

N8

Total posts: 336
Posted:I guess I'm going to jump on the "a little bit of both" band wagon. pardon the lack of creativity.------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Delete

Bendy

Total posts: 750
Posted:Cantus - I'm intrigued. Can you describe that 5th one for me?

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Delete

Page: 12