Forums > Social Chat > Antibiotics and "The Pill"

Login/Join to Participate

BigDavmember
175 posts

Posted:
Hi Folks

Well as you may or may not know, I am Dav from Ireland. I am a fella and i am not "personally" on the pill tongue

My GF is on the pill and has been for many years. She is allergic to condoms (both latex and spermicide and other lubricants etc) and her doctor has perscribed her an antibiotic. We have heard before that an antibiotic and the pill are a bad combination and the pill does not work while on antibiotics.

On the other hand I have heard stories that there is only certain antibiotics that affect the pill.

Does anyone know what antibiotics affect the pill or have any suggestions on how I go about finding out are we baby free during the month on the antibiotic?

Thanks in advance

Dav

Be Good, and if you DONT be Good, Buy a Pram!

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
I don't really know much about it...but I know a man who will.....*calls out for Dr Lightning to appear*....taps foot and waits patiently....

But it really depends on the antibiotics she's on. I assume she gets her pill from the same doctor who has prescribed the antibiotics?? If so, I can't imagine they'd prescribe something that would interfere with the contraception without telling her of the risks. They've always told me to take *extra* precaution whenever I've been on antibiotics.

It's worth talking to a pharmacist and making sure though!

Hopes this helps. And I'm sure Dr Lightning will be along soon....

hug

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

BigDavmember
175 posts

Posted:
My GF gets her pill from the family planning clinic and her doctor does not know she is on it (as her doctor is a family member AND we are both catholics and catholics are not supposed to use contraception at all LOL [Yeah Right] )

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Then she should tell her doctor!
Alternatively ask the chemist where you've got the antibiotics from or read the information leaflet in the packs.

Generally assume in cases like this assume that there is an effect so you'll just have to be more creative instead wink

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I agree with asking the chemist/pharmacist, they can print out these pages of stuff.

Also there are info sites on-line about just any drug out there, which lists possible side effects and reactive issues with other drugs.

However, when I had to take the two I was told by the Dr. that no matter what antibiotic I was on to take extra precautions (or I really like Dom's terms, be creative! lol)...which seems like a good idea to me anyway. Something about antibiotics, synthetic hormones and body chemistry all creating different reactions for everyone, better safe than sorry, yadda yadda...

Cheers!
P~

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
are there not ways of slowly desensitising people to the things they are allergic to ?

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
SOME allegies work that way... I'm strongly allergic to cats, but gradually got used to mine. Anyone else's cat still affects me though. Nut allergies can start off mild and increase with each reaction until they become potentially fatal. Some just don't change.

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
There are stories (and they are just stories) about the tetracycline class of antibiotics, which is any antibiotic ending in "-cycline" possibly decreasing the efficacy of the pill. So Doxycycline, Tetracycline, Minocycline, etc.

Having said that, no doctor I know (and I know a lot as a med student) has ever heard of a pill failure due to this. It's just a theoretical precuation.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
and ive never had a prob with it! so i wouldnt worry

Step (el-nombrie)

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
See....I knew Lightning would be along to help....

Mwah kiss

hug biggrin hug

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

BigDavmember
175 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone

Thanks for all your replies! hug It means a lot to me that you all can be so friendly when personal issues like this comes along.

Well i have called our family planning clinic and they say that the pill is not as safe as it normally is while one this antibiotic and they recommend using other forms of contraception.

Me being a Catholic, (Which I hope doesnt offend anyone) im not supposed to use contraceptons at all, as it is against our belief, which reminds me of a funny joke...

How can you tell the difference between a Catholic driver and a Protestant driver?
A Catholic always pulls out at the last minute!

By the way, my Girlfriend is allergic to condoms (lubricants and latex and the non latex types) so Ill have to be a good catholic and use the withdrawl method.

Hang on! If I was to be a true catholic, I should not have sex before marriage! eek

Well there is more to sex than just intercourse! Nothing is wrong with my gf's mouth wink lol

Thanks again everyone!

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Incidentally, here is some advice I tell all of my female patients who are of reproductive age:

NATURE WANTS YOU PREGNANT. You would be AMAZED how easy it is to get pregnant. And it can be a real mess when you accidentally get pregnant. I don't think I need to get into that further.

There ARE alternatives to vaginal intercourse. "Pulling out" has a success rate that is slightly better than nothing. In other words, it's worthless. If you won't use condoms or other birth control methods, the only way to prevent pregnancy is abstinence from vaginal intercourse.

And speaking as a gay man who does not engage in anal intercourse, I can say that it is quite possible to have a very satisfying sexual relationship that does not involve anal penetration, so therefore it must be possible to have a sexual relationship that does not involve vaginal penetration. Remember, sex is not an act, it's an emotional state.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Nature doesn't want ME pregnant. Nature took several precautions to assure that I'd NEVER be getting pregnant. biggrin

But with all due respect to Mr. Lightning, posting on an internet firespinning website isn't quite the wisest idea for getting extremely important medical advice. tongue

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]