Forums > Social Chat > Help!!! Losing Intrest!!

Login/Join to Participate

HappyStickermember
42 posts

Posted:
Well after learning all the moves on the lessons section in a few months and converting them all from my glowsticks to fire then picking up a few more.....my intrest seems to have dropped off, i dont know what it is, after doing the moves and the combos... i find myself looking for something else to keep me into it, i am starting to do some cool wraps but nothing seems to keep it exiting like new moves and that deep satisfaction of getting a new one and learning to go into it and out of it from all the other moves. I used to put in a good three hours a day but now it isnt uncommon if i dont pick them up for more than 5 days... anyone have any ideas for new toys,tricks, or just something to go on to?

If you had a friend that was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down the street and he just fell over......that would be unacceptable.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
pick up a staff...

anyone got a light?

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Make up your own moves, try fliping at the same time.. be creative.. after all thats why this is considered an art right.------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
try learning yo-yo, or juggling. For people only interested in learning 'the moves' these two things are far more suited.Josh

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
find someone else who does it, or at least someone who wants to and teach them what you know, thats a great way to keep intrest, and plus then youll have someone to compete with, and i know thats something thats kept me going for a while...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
I'm with Pozee and Josh. Either pick up a staff or two of them, and try learning new tricks with them. Or take up yo-yo and juggling since you seem to be that way inclinded thinking wise. Although I have to say I have seen some pretty trancey jugglers.------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Warrenmember
12 posts

Posted:
I also have to agree with everyone who has up to this point said to teach someone else. I think having a community of people (even if its just one of two) that love the same type of thing will help you keep interest up. Adding a social aspect to a skill related hobby can really improve yours and anyone else interest in it. I would also highly encourage taking up juggling or yo-yo. There are an immense number of ways that they all intertwine. I'd also suggest for anyone who's never seen jugglers who aren't all about the tricks and technical skills to check out Jay Gilligan.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
What is this staff you speak of? I am not familiar with the concept confused------------------C@ntusIn the past, the fools would pay, to see the freaks of the day. The contradictions of the norm. The bizarre, the wonderful and deformed.No need for the tents and the cages now. The wool is over our eyes. In front the TV circus - a freakshow in disguise.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Big prizes? Like elephants?mmmm - fire whales......

Meh

pr!m@temember
78 posts

Posted:
Oh, no! 5 days!!!I wouldn't worry about it. Knowledge is cumulative. Leave it for a month if you want. There's no point in forcing yourself to enjoy it. Try something else for a bit. What about juggling? Join the army? Learn to speak Arapaho?

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
Sounds like Poi burn out. All things in moderation or you'll get bored once the pace slackens. I can go a week without spinning, but mainly because I'm busy at work, and while I'm sat at work I'll stay thinking about my poi or staff lying unused.I also reckon that there is no such thing as learning all poi moves. Can you do the behind the ears 7 beat fountain? Then stop whining and go and practice!My interest in poi is partially the constant motivation to learn new moves, but I mainly just enjoy spinning. Love it! It's not (just) for showing off, being social, whatever. Be it alone, at a club, wherever, I really get a lot of enjoyment out of spinning.I'm lucky in that I meet some excellent twirlers. There's people I've met at Just Jugglers in London and Cabbage in Leeds that have inspired me to develop new moves and styles. I also teach a few people and that's always good fun.Or maybe Poi was just a passing fad.So, take it easy, have a rest from Poi if you want and see how it goes.Dom

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
fire yoyo.... that would be cool. but wales?

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
If you're so hot...Go busk, make cash, be happy smileTaking up staff is also a good idea, perhaps...Oh, you might like glowchucks, then you can do a few extra moves such as aerials (well, much easier with chucks) and grip changes and stuff.Perhaps you could take up meteors?Branching out into another toy is probably a good thing, this is what I have begun doing (CJ for me at the moment, but I'm going to do chucks as soon as I get a pair).Plus you can always make new toys like firewhips and such.Try stopping spinning for a week, then putting on some music you like with a good beat and spin away, 'specially if you are depressed or stressed. You will appreciate doing them even if you don't want to poi every day.

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
Work on fluidity, transistions, comfort. It's one thing to be able to do them. It's another to do them well or to switch between them smoothly.If you only want to spin those 2 toys try changing music. Sometimes a new sound will give new moves. If you only listen to D&B rolleyes switch to rock or something totally off the wall. Remember, anything with a beat can be spun to.------------------"Except for that Mrs. Lincoln, How did you like the play?"Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Ooh raze Wales....No, we can't. It would upset the Welsh.They've only just got their own parliament. Torching the country beneath their feet will only serve to make bad feeling.Good lateral thinking Phuzzz. But needs some work as it smacks slightly of final solution to the Welsh question.

Meh

MadGirlBettymember
13 posts

Posted:
So you haven't picked it up in five days huh? Nothing wrong with that. We can't all be obsessive when it comes to poi (even if, truth be known, most of the people on this message board are). If you don't feel like twirling for a while, don't. If yr anything like me you'll actually appreciate how good poi feel after a bit of a break from them (I just had to go 9 days without, wah!).

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
youl be anoyed one day ina couple of years time when you cant do it properly, but a rest is a good as a break, or something....ermmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmdood, dont like it dood, dont do it dood.ordo do it dood if you do wanna do it doodor maybe your done?no way dood.peace coolNix?

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

bhawkmember
48 posts

Posted:
Ill second yoyos if your into learning new tricks all the time. I never realized the infinite possibilities of yoyos. Yoyos were the first "skill toy" i picked and were fun, but when i started poi, i stopped yoyoing because poi came more naturally to me. If you get bored with normal yoyos, you can try offstring, or freehand, or both.Having multiple hobbies, no matter what they are, is always a good idea if you get bored of things after a while. Whenever i get bored with poi, i pick up my yoyos or tops.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I have to say, that since I've taken up doubles I havent been bored with twirling. If I dont feel like Poi, I twirl single (long or short) if I dont feel like that I do doubles.There really is SOOO much you can do with these things you are only limited by your imagination.Josh

Stringsmember
25 posts

Posted:
Every one up to now has good points, but i would like to point out as well that for me Poi is also a form of meditation. Go out in your backyard and try to relax, take a few deep breaths then slowely while concentrating on a problem you are having start to spin. Keep your mind focused on the problem and not what you are doing and I find it help me clear my mind of distraction to think about something. This is expecially helpfull with a blindfold on since it takes away another distraction. Eventually you can reach a state of calm where the best tricks you know come efortlessly, and you are smother than every before. At this point if you can keeep from thinking about what you are doing, you will be better than ever before ( the longest I have ever been here is 1-2 min). But while it continues it is wonderful. Also try doing new things, throw one of the poi into the air and catch it with you other hand. Do Butterfly's in each hand,or go from the butterfly to a stop and back again. There are endless variations that are possible. Also with a partener try doing corkscrews with each other ( Stand facing each other with your arms spread wide and wake forward untill your hands almost touch). Once you get this try it with 3 or four people, the move to using Poi and flags at the same time, or multiple poi in the same hand of different sizes.------------------

Never get over confidant... That is when your chains wrap and you hit yourself in the face.