PeterBmember
20 posts

Posted:
Hello, I just started out trying to spin poi. I know this is a stupid question, and at the risk of sounding like I don't know what I'm doing, which I don't know. I was alittle confused as to hold the strap. You put three fingers in the loop. Pull your middle finger out, and underneath thestrap, then does it go on the left of the strap, or the right? Thanks for putting up with a newbie smilePeter

----------------------what is fire? Magic!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hey dude,Welcome and you're in the right place for newbie questions. Don't worry about asking them (just do a "search" before you do to keep from asking questions that we've covered recently...)As for strap holding... there are as many different strap designs as there are wick/chain designs so play around and find one that you really like NOW while you're still learning.I can only speak for myself... what I would do is wrap the strap around my first and second finger with the bottom of my hand facing DOWN... now lift the poi between the first two fingers so it's leaving your hand out of the back (top of your hand)... this is quite a popular grip. I actually do it with my 2nd and 3rd fingers but I think I might switch soon.There are also "noose grips" which you cut a slice through the strap and do exactly what I said except the poi goes through the hole in the middle of the strap (actually you need to pull the strap up through the hole and make two loops and put your fingers in the hole...) Wow, that explanation sucked. Noose grips are great because you can open your hands and as you spin the grips tighten around your hands so you can actually spin with your hands open if you like. I don't like them because I like to be able to drop my poi if the tangle...Play around and find something that you like. Also watch out for blisters. Pick a grip that doesn't give you blisters. Ideally you should never get them. If you do start getting raw skin, redesign your strap...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
I agree on the raw skin thing... :P However out of everyone that I know that spins poi, they ALL got blisters at least to some extent when they started.As for holding the strap..there really isn't a right or wrong way ot hold it. It's all about finding a way to hold it that it comfortable for you and won't slip off your fingers. Some like single loops(that's how my first set was)..I prefer double loop straps. (sewn together from a single nylon strip) As NYC mentioned there are also nooses of both single and double loop designs. Some also prefer wrist straps, which basically is just a large single loop big enough to put around your wrists. Helps when you are spinning very heavy things. :PHope this helps..------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
You could just get a staff. So much easier. Stand out from the crowd.------------------C@ntusIn the past, the fools would pay, to see the freaks of the day. The contradictions of the norm. The bizarre, the wonderful and deformed.No need for the tents and cages now. The wool covers our eyes. In front of the TV circus - a freakshow in disguise.

Meh

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Don't listen to Cantus - he just can't coordinate the freedom poi grant the user!! winkBendy - aka he who keeps whacking himself in the head with both poi AND staff!

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
You dont get friction burns on your fingers from the straps on a staff that's all.

Meh

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Very true Cantus. Not the ideal thread for my question, but since we are talking about handles & holding toys, I shall proceed! I'm making a staff, any recommendations for the handle - what to use around the staff as a grip?

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I use this foul smelling rubberised tape I got from a hardware store. It's got cow gum on it that's why it smells bad. But it's got a heavy weave thread in it so it's good to grip. Dont know what it's called tho sorry. I had to experiment for several months before I found one i was comfy with. Shop around. See what you can find.------------------C@ntusIn the past, the fools would pay, to see the freaks of the day. The contradictions of the norm. The bizarre, the wonderful and deformed.No need for the tents and the cages now. The wool is over our eyes. In front the TV circus - a freakshow in disguise.

Meh

PeterBmember
20 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys. Sorry I'll do a search before I ask any more questions. I did a search on straps and handles and got some good info. I bought the starter set sold from this website. It came with a video and a set of poi. I just want to say that buying that starter set is a great way to introdure yourself to poi. I'm really excited about learning. I basicly get what you're saying there's no right way to hold the strap, it's whatever you like, or can invent. Thanks again,Peter

----------------------what is fire? Magic!

Stringsmember
25 posts

Posted:
I haven't tryed it because i don't use staff's, but I would think a trip to your local tennis pro would be helpfull. They sell six foot strips of grip tape, one side sticky, the other can be anything from sandpaper to sweat absorbing felts that provide a lot of grip. On strings, or chains i prefer to wrap them around my palms a few times then hold the string between my thumb and and the 2nd joind on my pointer finger. This is painfull at first since it will wear away at your sking for a while, but once you get calouses there, it allows for more variety. Like being able to change the leigth of chain out, or being able to release them on the fly for hand changes. In my mind it also gives the most control, but just find something that works for you and stay consistant. Continually changing your grip makes it harder to get smooth, and it alters the way they spin so tricks may have to be relearned.------------------

Never get over confidant... That is when your chains wrap and you hit yourself in the face.