Page:
Kosmik Lunatikmember
58 posts

Posted:
Has anyone ever heard of this before. Its like a cirus only much more evolved. Alomost like perfoming arts. I was thinking of catching up w/ the tour possibly trying to join. Fire is a big part, twirling, staff etc.Just a thoughtMatty

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Katinca...no offense but I have been in theater for ten years and have known a stage hand or two, and worked at a concert venue as an on call stage hand for when shows came into town. A big kick for them is playing people. They can't get the recognition from performing so they screw with fans and groupies minds. Not all mind you but a good share. Most shows I have been involved with have had a curfew, and contractual nightly obligations (ie: no drinking, no drugs). There are even rules for athletes, physical performers (such as some Circus or Comedia type) that have rules against sex the night before a show because it depleates your strength. In theater these usually only apply to performers which leaves the stage hands to run amuck and spread stories. My guess he thought it would be funny to build you up and leave you hanging. I would also put money on that they didn't get the message you left. Think of it like a rock star type thing and how many people will call and claim to be media people, or musicians, or what have you to get close to them. This is that security. These people are "stars" in the circus arena and are protecting themselves. It is nothing meant to hurt you or against you, it is just the nature of the beast.I hope that one day you will get to experience Cirq for yourself smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Yeah well you know what Pele, people like that can get fucked!They aren't worth my time of day.End o' Story*Kate's content now, had a dummy spit*------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~[This message has been edited by Katinca (edited 23 November 2001).]

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I guess I see it like this...Great painters dont dumb down their paintings because the average joe wont notice the skill or subtlety...However people writing TV advertising will make as many sexual innuendos as possible, because they know it will appeal to the average joe, who makes up the major buyers of said product.This does not mean all Video art has to have sexual innuendo.. smileerm...I think my point is in there someplace, I know its not clear. sorry.I'll just see myself out. smileJosh

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
I know what you are getting at Josh and I agree with you. But perhaps others wont, each to their own. I care to not to add anymore to this thread as I see that there is a difference of opinion here, which is not going to be solved at all. It's just going to cause some resentfulness. So I care to leave while things are calm. So I can continue with other parts of this site and not leave altogether. *Kate gets up, leaves room and quietly closes the door behind her*------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~[This message has been edited by Katinca (edited 22 November 2001).]

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
ok circus people are NOT rockstars. And as such should not carry on like they are.If these guys were houshold names I wouldnt have even bothered riding down there to make the enquiry.Fire art is not anywhere near as popular as even juggling (which is not 'popular' among the general population).If I didnt have the passion for twirling, and assumed those guys shared it I also wouldnt have bothered.Sorry - but from *all* the reviews I've heard, yeah ok they are fast but not very creative.It certainly wouldnt have surprised me if I'd have been able to show them a few technicques (as well as having been show some myself).but this circus people = rockstars stuff is just out there...the only ppl that even pay attention to these people's names are other dedicated fire artists! and even then, only if they were impressed...Josh[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 22 November 2001).]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Actually Katinca...I agree with you, they aren't worth spit, but it doesn't stop the jerks from doing that shit.Josh...you mean I am not supposed see innuendo in everything? Damn...there goes my tv entertainment! winkAnd they will act like rock stars most likely as long as the 16 year old in the front row offers herself up to them. I dunno....I think this is where I agree to disagree agreably and duck out. grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I agree with everyone else that this is a difference of opinion.Just one short thing before I bow out. What if there is an artist who pays his bills by making tv commercials for all and sundry, and then goes home and paints for himself?He's realistic, in that he needs to eat, and he is not 'sacrificing his art', any more than a surfer or a piano player is sacrificing their art because they don't use it in their dayjob.I've been paid to do several live poetry readings, and have written some stuff that's just entertaining, to read out. Other stuff i have written for myself and don't let others read unless I choose, and there's stuff in between too. It's all art, just with different audiences in mind...so that said, I know bow out and agree to disagree...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

emthrenmember
57 posts

Posted:
Won't post opinions if the Cirque fire performers are sell-outs, that's been done enough. My scepticism goes out to the impression that stagehand gave of life in Crique.A friend I know works for the costume department in Alegria, and life is most defiantly -not- a party for her, and I suspect neither the performers. For the stagehand it might be, since despite Cirque's amazing props, I'm guessing it's not as demanding as the other departments.As a seamstress, she takes any possible time off to catch up on sleep, catch up with friends and family, and just to relax. Imagine what it must be like for the performers? While granted, meeting other people would be nice, I don't think the schedule and priorities allow it.On a personal note, trying to catch up with her, a person I already knew in Cirque, was hell to work out when they were in Sydney. For complete strangers, I can't see it being any easier.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
*chirp chirp* (crickets)"Helloooo?? Mrs Pommelhorst, I'd like to get down now."Well now that I am alone here, just say my bit.Charles - a watermelon and a whoopi cushion? Man you are a comic genious! Seriously, I could sit and watch the ensuing antics all day!As for the yo-yo style Josh mentioned, it may be cool to watch someone do a tough trick, but I agree that the flow of the dance is so much more entertaining. I'm still struggling for any transitions and I am not really confident enough with my moves to be moving around too much, but I aspire to have the flow that I have seen in others. A professional who mixed it up a bit (even if the main focus was still in the tricks themselves) would be more interesting than someone who does a trick, then another, then another...

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
This is an age old arguement. Actually, it's several.As a scientist I never ran into this but the more I get into fire, the more I hear arguements which are very much like this one.What is art? Is it a commodity to be sold? Is it a competition to be won? Is art an expression that is given off by someone? Is art an interpretation that is taken in by someone? Can artists be professionals? Can art be manufactured by an organization? Can an artist place a value on his art without becoming a "sell out"?Perhaps this is what drew me away from art and towards science for my career. Within a given set of stipulated circumstances, 1+1 always equals 2. Under NO circumstances is the interpretation of art reproducable or predictable. I guess that's why I like my paychecks to come from science and my hobbies to come from art. [Disclamer: This is not a value judgement, I am thankful that there are artists out there who make my world a more beautiful place. I just chose other means.]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Page: